Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM

50 posts, read 56,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Under current Virginia law it is a class 6 felony to wear a muslim burqua, which conceals the face, in a public place. Should the law be changed to allow an exception for them as is made for protective gear, haloween and theatrical costumes, or medical reasons?
No.

I happen to believe that Muslim women are slowly coming around and fighting this "religious attire" themselves. Its obvious to me that Muslim men are the ones which instituted these particular "laws".

America had pretty much the same problems regarding attire, as imposed by men. Plus, American women fought to get the right to VOTE as well, as ridiculous an imposition as that was!

Muslim women will be the ones to have the final say in this dilemma - however, and I see no need to change the laws of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:20 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
The wearing of the burqua is cultural and not required by the Koran. That said if you choose to legally emigate to another country you need to be ready to adapt to the laws & customs of your new home. We as a nation do not need to change because of each group preferences.

Afterall don't american woman have to wear a head scarf when in muslim countries? It regards to the question it can remain as written....

Old 02-01-2010, 01:35 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,241 times
Don't really care if these women choose to wear them in public or not...that is their personal choice.

The only thing I'm against is when you hear stories about them trying to wear their burquas when they're going to get their drivers license picture taken. In my opinion, driving is a privilege and if you want that privilege extended to you, then you need to conform to the laws of the state. I mean, if you're going to get behind a 3500+ lb machine, you need to be identifiable.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:35 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,784,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Afterall don't american woman have to wear a head scarf when in muslim countries?....
No. Not generally.

Western women generally only have to wear the head scarf when they visit a mosque. Of course some countries are more strict than others. For instance, if a woman visits Iran, she has to cover hear hair completely, though this can be just a hat if she wants. There are regions of Afghanistan and Iraq that are also quite strict about women's dress.

Most of the other countries are much less strict. Remember there are over 50 countries that have a muslim majority and in the vast, vast majority of them, women who don't practice Islam (including foreigners and Americans) can wear whatever they want.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:41 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
For all intents they are not illegal, but I really couldn't tell you why you may have seen less as time passed. Perhaps after 9/11, as the world became more fixated on Islam we just noticed them more than before. Maybe you just don't notice them as much now as you did then?
I thought the same thing that maybe I was noticing them more after the attack, but came to the conclusion that no I really did see an increase in those wearing burquas a few times a week at that time. Burquas do seem out of place here, not to be confused with head scarfs, and I've never seen them in the DC area growing up as a kid, only on TV.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:16 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
...However, It all depends on who you ask, and their particular beliefs on the burqa. Many women do, in fact, enjoy wearing them as a symbol of religious piety and purity. ...

Just curious, do you have any documentation on this statement? You seem quite knowledgeable on this topic.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,784,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Just curious, do you have any documentation on this statement? You seem quite knowledgeable on this topic.
Not really any firm documentation. I could probably try to find something on the internet but I'm not sure how reliable that is.

That statement in particular comes from a bit of second-hand personal experience. I have several friends who emigrated to America from Saudi Arabia. Both have told me how their mothers (and older sisters) wear the full burqa and abaya and do so as a symbol of religious devotion.

They (my friends), on the other hand, won't even touch them. They still consider themselves devout, but they don't agree with wearing the burqas.

The fact that their mothers and sisters are obviously a bit older may have something to do with their opinion on wearing them. Perhaps (most likely) there is a generational shift in opinion on what is or isn't appropriate or required. I guess it would be similar to a Christian who thinks that they must attend church every Sunday to be truly devout vs. those who have a differing opinion.

But again, as I said earlier, as a symbol of oppression, I don't agree with it. However, as a religious symbol, who am I to deny someone the right to practice as they feel they should as long as they aren't encroaching on my rights.

Edit: And I guess as clarification, my use of the word "enjoy" may have been a bit strong for the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia