Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,034 times

Advertisements

May get a job at JMU. Looks like Staunton has more culture and interest to live in than Harrisonburg. What are the schools like in both towns? High School particularly. My son would be transferring into junior year. We are used to New England schools, some of the best public education around. Also, is there any way to ride share or take commuter buses from Staunton to Harrisonburg if you don't want to drive? I have looked on sites everywhere. Very hard to find. Or do people ride share and carpool from Staunton to JMU if they work there? What is that commute like? Is it terrible in the snow or not bad? Do they salt and clear the roads?

We don't need a ton of action. Looking for nice home, great views, history, a sense of community. People seem to retire in that area so there must be something going for it. Thoughts? Also want more of a liberal church to go to. We are Congregational...Thoughts on that in Staunton or Harrisonburg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:03 PM

542 posts, read 992,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowwoman View Post
May get a job at JMU. Looks like Staunton has more culture and interest to live in than Harrisonburg. What are the schools like in both towns? High School particularly. My son would be transferring into junior year. We are used to New England schools, some of the best public education around. Also, is there any way to ride share or take commuter buses from Staunton to Harrisonburg if you don't want to drive? I have looked on sites everywhere. Very hard to find. Or do people ride share and carpool from Staunton to JMU if they work there? What is that commute like? Is it terrible in the snow or not bad? Do they salt and clear the roads?

We don't need a ton of action. Looking for nice home, great views, history, a sense of community. People seem to retire in that area so there must be something going for it. Thoughts? Also want more of a liberal church to go to. We are Congregational...Thoughts on that in Staunton or Harrisonburg?
Hi there and welcome!(maybe) I live in Staunton so I hope I can be of some assistance. I did not go to the schools in the area as I grew up somewhere else, but as a rule the city schools are not regarded as highly as the county schools. But most schools in the area seem to do well.

I have no idea if there are commuter busses to H-burg as I work in Charlottesville, but I highly doubt it. It's only a 20-25 minute ride from Staunton. Some people probably carpool as there is a park and ride lot in Verona, next town up from Staunton. Interstates during a snowstorm can be treacherous, depending on how much we get. Last month we got 2 feet and they literally closed I-81 and it was a few days before it was passable. Yesterday we got 7-8 inches and the interstates were dry today.

This area definitely does not see much action, so you should be fine, and it's in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley, so you have great views from everywhere. Staunton is very historic and might, might remind you of some New England towns, maybe. Especially the downtown area. Harrisonburg is bigger, but more bland. It actually reminds me of some towns in PA for some reason. Can't help with the church thing, but there are plenty here, just don't think many will be liberal. But you never know.

Hope I helped and good luck!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:28 AM

34 posts, read 86,326 times
Hello Staunton..I am hoping that some of you faithful residents can help me with some info. My husband and I recently began house-hunting for our retirement home in your beautiful city and had a few questions. We saw a few adorable houses around the old Lee High School and loved the neighborhood and its access to the park and downtown.But while there we became aware of the plans for the old HS to become a senior living center, while living next to a business with that enviornment does not bother us at all as we think that is a great use of a beautiful historical building. BUT the fact is it is still a business that will have alot of parking, deliveries,trash dumpsters,etc...and I am wondering if anyone out there has seen a layout of where these services would be located? Near Guilford or Albemarle or both? If anyone out there has any info it would be greatly appreciated...Thank you

Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,814 times
We are also moving to Staunton in Feb 2011 after many years living abroad. We've got a 5 year old and so finding a good elementary school is important to us. We want to live downtown, in walking distance from all the culture and amenities around Beverly Street and also in walking distance to a park - either Gypsy Hill or Montgomery. As we are planning to buy a home, he prices and quality of the renovated homes south of West Beverly look good to us on the internet, eg Walnut Street, Trout Street. But we are also open to other neighborhoods. We are currently wondering about several things in particular: (1) what is the community life like in the neighborhoods south of West Beverly?; (2) what is AR Ware like as an elementary school? From what I have been able to tell on the internet, it has recently been merged with other schools? Any updates on how it is going? Any recommendations for other public schools? At the elementary school level, we are less bothered about academic excellence than with it being a friendly, tolerant environment. Our ideal would be for a school where our son could not only get the 3Rs but also have art & music and not be exposed to too much evangelism! (3) Where can we begin to get 'plugged in' to cool things fairly quickly for our son, who will adapt much more quickly if he can begin making friends soon... Any help and suggestions will be very very appreciated. Thank you!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:18 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBar View Post
We are also moving to Staunton in Feb 2011 after many years living abroad. We've got a 5 year old and so finding a good elementary school is important to us. We want to live downtown, in walking distance from all the culture and amenities around Beverly Street and also in walking distance to a park - either Gypsy Hill or Montgomery. As we are planning to buy a home, he prices and quality of the renovated homes south of West Beverly look good to us on the internet, eg Walnut Street, Trout Street. But we are also open to other neighborhoods. We are currently wondering about several things in particular: (1) what is the community life like in the neighborhoods south of West Beverly?; (2) what is AR Ware like as an elementary school? From what I have been able to tell on the internet, it has recently been merged with other schools? Any updates on how it is going? Any recommendations for other public schools? At the elementary school level, we are less bothered about academic excellence than with it being a friendly, tolerant environment. Our ideal would be for a school where our son could not only get the 3Rs but also have art & music and not be exposed to too much evangelism! (3) Where can we begin to get 'plugged in' to cool things fairly quickly for our son, who will adapt much more quickly if he can begin making friends soon... Any help and suggestions will be very very appreciated. Thank you!
Hi there! I use to live in Staunton so I hope I can be of help. I even went to Ware elem. when I was a kid, but it's been like 25 years or more. So I'm sure the climate has changed. For your first question, the neighborhoods south of W Beverly are not the greatest or worst. Just very working class. It depends on which street too, and how far out on W Beverly you go. The neighborhoods between Green St and Montgomery Ave would not be my first reccomendations, but it's not as if you hear of shootings or things like that coming out of there all the time. From Green St towards downtown is the Newtown neighborhood and is a very nice neighborhood, within walking distance to downtown. There you can pick up a trolley bus that can take you to Gypsy Hill Park. The park is not really within an easy walking distance of downtown. Maybe a 15-25 minute walk.

Trout street would probably be fine, but is close to Johnson St which is notorious for not being the best street in town. Walnut should be fine. I have a friend that lives a few streets over and he has never complained, and he has a young child and wife.

I really cannot comment on the schools since I moved away when I was very young and did not attend Staunton schools for more than a year. Usually, the city schools are not regarded as well as county, but that's generally in reference to the high school. The elementaries are ok and I wouldn't worry too much about anybody being accepted or not. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 AM

382 posts, read 868,092 times
CatBar,
The area south of Beverly St including Walnut, Thompson, & Montgomery are mostly blue collar or unemployed. It is still a safe area, I've said before I have lived here for 20+ years and have never felt unsafe in any neighborhood. It really depends on your style and budget where to live. I have a friend with a child in the combined school, they say it's a little crowded but have no complaints yet. Your child sould olny have the usual child conflicts. I know the Augusta county schools have mandatory art& music programs, not sure about the City schools. Also the county schools have an optional reglious program one day a week for one hour, you'll see more "evanglisim" out in public. There are tons of programs for kids; football, soccer, baseball, and all the school systems sponser programs year round for kids of all ages.

Last edited by emsman; 01-07-2011 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia