Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 PM

104 posts, read 303,871 times

Advertisements

Lol the only thing most rednecks like to watch is nascar, monster trucks and wwe. A fun thing to do sometimes is go to your local walmart after 11 pm and count the mullets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 AM

7 posts, read 32,556 times
Default response to the shakespeare theater in staunton...

It is nice... a few Staunton people attend, but most who attend the Shakespeare plays are from out of town, and spending a day or weekend in Staunton... mostly people from DC, Nova, Richmond. I agree with the poster talking about Staunton rednecks.... Staunton and the surrounding area is VERY red. It's not a place for educated, progressive types. If that's what you're looking for, check out Charlottesville.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 AM

20 posts, read 59,078 times
My wife and I are looking at places to retire and Staunton also looks good to us; clean and affordable housing. Of course we haven't actually visited, just looking at pics from realtor.com. We're in Delaware right now and as far as the rednecks go, I think they are all over, (we have a lot of that sort of folk around here too) but as one poster said, more likely to encounter them in the country outside town. Anyway, any tips about relocating to Staunton would be appreciated. If we actually did move to Staunton, we'd probably be attending St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church - anyone else go there? know anyone that does. Thanks ahead of time for your help and info.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 AM

382 posts, read 870,940 times
johnnybc, don't be too scared of rednecks. There we're rednecks in NY where I lived. As far as living in the "city" I say no. Taxes are 1/2 as much in Augusta county area. The locals are very accepting of newcomers, a large number of newenglanders are moving here and the new civil war hasn't started yet. By the way, I'm educated above high school and I shop at Wal-Mart. The smart people know how to save money as well as be "culturaly diversed".

Old 06-16-2010, 08:34 PM

171 posts, read 463,665 times
Default who's afraid of...

Thanks for your positive note amongst the negative ones, I wasn't afraid of rednecks, I just wondered if they enjoyed Shakespere down there!!!?.
We are now looking at a house in Verona, which is not Agusta county, but it's not far out of the city so maybe that's an ok area. Looked nice when we drove around there. We will just need a place in town to teach music lessons!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:07 AM

382 posts, read 870,940 times
Verona is a nice area, the Augusta county government center and Sheriff's dept. are there also. Check the towns of Fishersville and Stuarts Draft also. Newer and more houses available, lot's of middle class families in Stuarts Draft. Both towns are in the county as is Verona and only 5 and 10 minutes respectivley from Staunton. There are a number of locals that like Shakerspear and attend Blackfrier's and a large number of people travel here to see it.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,363 times
My husband and I are moving to Staunton in a few weeks for his work and we are really excited. We are coming from ultra liberal San Francisco, so I am not sure how we will fit in. I was wondering if there is any Jewish community to speak of in Staunton. Let me know!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 AM

542 posts, read 995,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGirl2010 View Post
My husband and I are moving to Staunton in a few weeks for his work and we are really excited. We are coming from ultra liberal San Francisco, so I am not sure how we will fit in. I was wondering if there is any Jewish community to speak of in Staunton. Let me know!
Actually there is, but it is really small. There is a mosque or synagogue downtown. But don't expect to see Jewish people walking around the way you would in New York. Welcome to Staunton btw. Hope you like it here, it will be a big change from San Francisco. That's an understatement, but just come with an open mind. If it's too small and backwards for you, DC is only a couple hours away for that big city fix. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2010, 05:33 PM

171 posts, read 463,665 times
Default ticket happy cops??

Are there speeding ticket scam problems in the area like I'm reading about in Emporia, Va in the tread below??

Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 PM

542 posts, read 995,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybc View Post
Are there speeding ticket scam problems in the area like I'm reading about in Emporia, Va in the tread below??
I'm not too familiar with the Emporia area, but what I've heard and read, this area of the state is no where near as bad as that part of the state. I don't know why they enforce it so extremely heavy there, but the presence here isn't that bad. BUT, this is still VA and overall, the cops do patrol regularly. And they have made this summer a special season for enforcement. You will see stepped up patrols on i81 and i64 around the Staunton area and i95 in the eastern part of the state. Staunton cops will pull you over, but unless you're going 10 over they usually let you off with a warning. I've lived in Staunton now for 10 years and been pulled over half a dozen times and gotten a warning every time. Augusta county which surrounds Staunton is a little different. I have gotten a couple tickets in that jurisdiction. Basically I just try to stay within a 5 mph range of the limit and be aware of the known and possible speed traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia