Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 PM

845 posts, read 2,832,031 times

Advertisements

Congress Heights is a very ghetto part of southeast Washington D.C. and the name of a Metrorail stop. It has long been one of the most dangerous and very worst parts of D.C.

Metropolitan D.C. and Northern Virginia in general is an extremely competitive area because of the many high-paying jobs, full employment situation, and highly-educated population which drives up housing prices. The soon-to-be relocation of thousands of military jobs to both Fort Belvoir and Alexandria, will only create higher housing demand and an absolute traffic nightmare.

I live near Waldorf-St. Charles and many people there do commute daily to Alexandria. The Woodrow Wilson Bridge (Beltway Potomac Bridge) traffic moves much better now since it was widened in 2008 with more lanes which eliminated the terrible daily traffic gridlock that used to be there every day previously. But you will still have very heavy traffic anywhere you live. Waldorf-St. Charles has a wide variety of housing, a 2-level Mall, average-rated public schools, many Air Force families, and a population mix about half white and half black.

Having lived in the area for many decades, I would say Waldorf-St. Charles is very similar and comparable to the Woodbridge, Va. area as far as the community's age, wide variety of housing styles, housing costs, school quality, the military presence, and racial/socio-economic makeup of both places being similar to each other. Woodbridge probably has more Asians and Hispanics than Waldorf does.

One thing to keep in mind about Alexandria, Va. is that its mailing address covers a very wide expansive area. Some places can be called Alexandria but actually be far to the South of the city toward Mount Vernon (which doesn't always mean they're any better or quieter, as some of the Mount Vernon areas are a very mixed bag too).

Last edited by slowlane; 07-31-2010 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
Woodbridge or public housing. Pretty depressing options in Old Town unless you're a 200k plus person and can afford private schooling...

Not trying to be offensive, just realistic. The public schools in alexandria suck big time (compared to the rest of NoVa), and you can either live in a ghetto hell hole or pay 800k for a small townhome downtown..

I'm as upset as you...
Responding to an old post, but I dislike having this misperception hanging out there without putting in my two cents:

First off, Alexandria City is not merely Old Town.

Townhouses and duplexes can be bought in Del Ray, Rosemont, and other parts of the city for a little under $500,000. Still a lot of money, but not nearly $800,000, and certainly not a "ghetto hell hole."

Or even a detached house in another neighborhood that seems to get overlooked: 151 MONCURE DR, ALEXANDRIA, VA 22314 - HomesDatabase

I realize this isn't "affordable housing" for many people. A lot of my neighbors are dual-income, or doctors, lawyers, or upper management. Outside of government-assisted housing, the less expensive parts of Alexandria City are in the West End (going up Duke Street).

I'm enjoying Alexandria on under $100,000, and my kids and other bright kids in the neighborhood are doing well in public school. The Alexandria schools don't suck in and of themselves. Good students can get a good education in ACPS, and my experience with school staff allows me to sing their praises.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:43 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Responding to an old post, but I dislike having this misperception hanging out there without putting in my two cents:

First off, Alexandria City is not merely Old Town.

Townhouses and duplexes can be bought in Del Ray, Rosemont, and other parts of the city for a little under $500,000. Still a lot of money, but not nearly $800,000, and certainly not a "ghetto hell hole."

Or even a detached house in another neighborhood that seems to get overlooked: 151 MONCURE DR, ALEXANDRIA, VA 22314 - HomesDatabase

I realize this isn't "affordable housing" for many people. A lot of my neighbors are dual-income, or doctors, lawyers, or upper management. Outside of government-assisted housing, the less expensive parts of Alexandria City are in the West End (going up Duke Street).

I'm enjoying Alexandria on under $100,000, and my kids and other bright kids in the neighborhood are doing well in public school. The Alexandria schools don't suck in and of themselves. Good students can get a good education in ACPS, and my experience with school staff allows me to sing their praises.
Good post.

The thing is, people write "I am looking for affordable housing" and never specify what they consider to be affordable. What is affordable to one person may not be to another. $400k might be affordable to me, but someone else might think up to $600k is affordable and so on...it's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia