Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 03:48 PM

41 posts, read 124,351 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to a new state, I will be making this move by myself. This is what I have come up with so far:

I would like it to be somewhere where it doesnt snow or if it does very little, but I am not sure how I will cope with heat eaither because in vermont it really doesnt get over the 80's and it really isnt that humid. Somewhere where it would be scenic. I can go visit my family a couple times a year that is fine with me. I am looking for a college with hr management and a culinary school that I can enjoy for personal use. I wanted great italian restaraunts too but I am hoping I can be a great italian cook as well and that would take care of that want.

Thank you
Merrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 05:20 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Northern Virginia has more snow than southeastern, but we can get snow in the virginia beach, norfolk, chesapeake area. Usually about an inch and the whole city goes into lockdown, lol : ) We do have seasons. But it gets warm in the summer. However, we have the beach which is great to go and cool off. Norfolk has Old Dominion University, there is Wesleyan College, and Tidewater Community College. As for culinary college, not sure... you can google it.

shelly

Old 06-12-2007, 06:46 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
It doesn't snow nearly as much in Richmond as it does in Vermont, but it can get hot and humid. Summers are full of days in and over the 80's with lots of humidity, and that's typical for much if not all of Virginia.

Still, Richmond does have a commendable restaurant scene, and several very good authentic Italian restaurants. Sensi, Mama 'Zu, Edo's Squid, Amici, and others serve up great Italian.

I'm not sure whether or not VCU offers the program you are looking for, but check it out and see:

Virginia Commonwealth University

Also, as far as culinary schools go:

University of Richmond offers a Culinary Arts Program:
Culinary Arts Program (http://scs.richmond.edu/ocpe/cap/ - broken link)

I've heard good things about the Culinary program at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College:
The School of Culinary Arts, Tourism & Hospitality - J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College

If you're not looking for a Culinary Arts degree, there are a few places which offer cooking classes such as:
Mise En Place - Mise En Place: Cooking school and culinary center with cooking classes in Richmond, Virginia - VA
The Compleat Gourmet - The Compleat Gourmet

Also, CB5 restaurant group is looking to open later this year a new French restaurant on Richmond's Canal Walk/riverfront called Blanc Bleu. Early reports mentioned they'll also have a culinary program attached to the venue, though I'm not sure if that's still the game plan.
CB5 Restaurant Group LLC.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:02 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
I moved from Vermont in 2004 to the town of Blacksburg, VA. Blacksburg might be a very good fit for you. The population of Blacksburg is +/- 40,000 if you count the student population of 26,000 or so. During the summer, you will almost never see the high temperature reach 90F in Blacksburg. Typically it tops out at 86F on a hot day in Blacksburg. And the breeze and lower humidity makes it even more comfortable. This is owing to it's 2,000' elevation. Blacksburg is on a plateau surrounded by mountains and is somewhat evocative of Vermont. There is snowfall during the winter in Blacksburg but it doesn't stick around. Most of the time it's melted off the roads fully after 6 hours during the day, and usually it's melted off the grass and such within 24 hours. Generally, winter starts a month later in Blacksburg and ends a month earlier compared to Vermont. But fair warning: Blacksburg can get breezy during the winter.

I suggest Blacksburg because it's got the conveniences and has Virginia Tech, which is the town's largest employer. It's a family friendly town and you might find culinary instruction there. If you can't find it there though you're within a 45 minute drive to Roanoke where you will most certainly find culinary instruction.

We moved from Blacksburg to just south of Roanoke to a rural area called Boones Mill. It's more like the rural area we left behind in Orwell, VT but an easy 20-25 minute drive to most of Roanoke. The Roanoke metro area population is about 300,000 people. Only 50% larger than the Burlington metro area but it feels about 100% larger and has much more of a cosmopolitan feel and it is MUCH easier and faster to travel around Roanoke than it is in Burlington. But that shouldn't discount Blacksburg. Blacksburg is an awesome town.

Oh, and if you want to visit the Virginia town that feels the absolute MOST like a Vermont town, then you absolutely have to spend a summer day in Floyd, Virginia. Floyd is like 25 minutes south of Blacksburg traveling on Route 8. Spend a Friday afternoon and evening in Floyd and you won't be disappointed. I promise!

I hope this helps. If you have more questions for a Vermonter turned Virginian than feel free to ask. But you'll find that many people are very helpful here, and more knowledgeable about other fine areas in Virginia. Choice is good!

Cheers,

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia