Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 02:02 AM

13 posts, read 45,654 times

Advertisements

Hello my friends. Currently I am applying to universities and colleges in Virginia. Here are the school's location. Since, each of them are located in different places I just put them randomly

1. Arlington itself
2. Lynchburg
3. Federicksburg
4. Roanoke
5. Radford
6. Abingdon
7. Fairfax

Except the first one (where my relatives lives in) I would like if you can tell me how much it is far from Arlington; how much time it takes at free times, like I woke up or start journey @ 6am in the morning to go to school. If it is far from Arlington; traveling everyday might impossible, can you tell me the cost of living (estimated).

If the locations are not more than 1:30 hr from Arlington, I hope it is ok with me.

I think my future life depends on the education I will get. Please give me your suggestions so that I will select the best school.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:28 PM

845 posts, read 2,832,031 times
Fairfax is in close commuting distance from Arlington, in fact, even without a car, you can ride Metrorail (subway) from Arlington to Vienna station, and then a connecting bus a few miles more to Fairfax/ George Mason University. See http://www.wmata.com and http://www.fairfaxconnector.com

Fredericksburg is a more difficult commuting distance from Arlington - it is 50 miles / 80 - 85 km away. There is an expressway named "I-95" between Fredericksburg and Arlington, but the traffic is heavy and you may find driving every day, tiresome. Fredericksburg is home to Mary Washington University.

Lynchburg is 4 or 5 hours driving time, from Arlington. It is home to the large Liberty University, a conservative Christian college which attracts students from many nations and states. The other cities you listed are about 6 hours driving time, from Arlington. They are all pleasant scenic small cities, located in mountainous areas but near good highways and other comforts such as shopping and entertainments. Abingdon is the furthest away and the smallest town of all of the towns on your list, and its college is also the smallest, but it's on a good highway named I-81. Abingdon has very little entertainment or amusements, but is near the small city named Bristol where housing costs are very low, it's a 7 or 8 hours drive from Arlington.

Arlington and Fairfax have the highest cost of living, because they are suburbs of Washington D.C. and are very sophisticated and popular for residents with high-paying jobs.
Fredericksburg has a moderate cost of living. The other remaining towns you named, have even lower costs of living still, at least I think this is true.

Last edited by slowlane; 05-17-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM

845 posts, read 2,832,031 times
If you plan to actually live with relatives in Arlington, then you should also research and consider colleges/ universities in Washington D.C. (also called "District of Columbia") which is only a few minutes from Arlington, and also in the state of Maryland.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:18 AM

42 posts, read 46,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder4ever View Post
Hello my friends. Currently I am applying to universities and colleges in Virginia. Here are the school's location. Since, each of them are located in different places I just put them randomly

1. Arlington itself
2. Lynchburg
3. Federicksburg
4. Roanoke
5. Radford
6. Abingdon
7. Fairfax

Except the first one (where my relatives lives in) I would like if you can tell me how much it is far from Arlington; how much time it takes at free times, like I woke up or start journey @ 6am in the morning to go to school. If it is far from Arlington; traveling everyday might impossible, can you tell me the cost of living (estimated).

If the locations are not more than 1:30 hr from Arlington, I hope it is ok with me.

I think my future life depends on the education I will get. Please give me your suggestions so that I will select the best school.

Thank you for your time.
Fairfax.
http://searchforhomesmdva.com/image_store/uploads/4/6/6/1/9/ar124187658291664.gif (broken link)

Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM

Thank you my friend, for your response. Currently I am having a good contact with one of the university in Arlington, where my relatives reside in. Secondly, I am also having a good contact with one of the university in Fairfax (Virginia International University).

I am also having a chance to attend University of Mary Washington(UMW). These 3 institutions were my best choice and you gave me a hope. By the way, do you think that, if I got a chance to attend UMW, is that possible for me to travel everyday from Arlington to Fredericksburg? Because UMW is the best of all the three.

You know what, I didn’t expect VA will be this much large city. I was just expecting maximum of 3 hour difference.

I have also one question to ask you. Do you think I will have a chance to get a job after my graduation?

Are Arlington, Fairfax, and/or Fredericksburg safe cities for international students?
I hope to get your response soon. Thank you.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
Arlington to Fredericksburg is going to be a LONG commute every day. Expect up to 2 hours each direction, depending on the time of day. If you are going to live in Arlington, I would look at George Mason or Marymount in Virginia, George Washington, Catholic, Georgetown, or Howard in DC, and even the University of Maryland (College Park).

All of those will be much closer than UMW.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 AM

I hope Marymount University is in Arlington. Because I already sent my application letters but I cant contact them because, their servers are bouncing my emails. But I better go for it next to VIU (which is in Fairfax) and Argosy University which is in Arlington.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:36 AM

Unhappy What about Fairfax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Arlington to Fredericksburg is going to be a LONG commute every day. Expect up to 2 hours each direction, depending on the time of day. If you are going to live in Arlington, I would look at George Mason or Marymount in Virginia, George Washington, Catholic, Georgetown, or Howard in DC, and even the University of Maryland (College Park).

All of those will be much closer than UMW.
Thank you for your help my friend. Most of the schools you said are either too expensive or doesnt have the degree I wanted except Marymount University. So I will go for it. But, currently 2 Universities, Argosy University (which is found in arlington, and best for me because my relatives live around the school) and Virginia International University (which is found in Fairfax, and here my girlfriend lives in, but I cant live with her ... lol) are giving me the best advise and I have a big hope to enroll in these two schools. Specially Virginia International University, I am only left with one requirement, that is to show financial support. So, after that they will send me an I-20 which is the final step to go to US embassy in order to get VISA.

Do you think that Fairfax will be fair for me? (Still I have to live in Arlington if I got a VISA). Please let me know your suggestion so that, I will decide in either of the two schools.

But, if it is going to be too far, I can change the school after I came there.

Hope to hear from you soon. Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia