Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 08:27 AM

67 posts, read 538,059 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Spotsy and can't believe my eyes. I have never had to sit on the shoulder of an exit to exit a highway. Of course, I am guessing this is a local courtesy for drivers headed north on route 1, but I think it's crazy.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboah View Post
I just moved to Spotsy and can't believe my eyes. I have never had to sit on the shoulder of an exit to exit a highway. Of course, I am guessing this is a local courtesy for drivers headed north on route 1, but I think it's crazy.

What gives?
That interchange wasn't designed for 1/10 of the traffic that use it now... Hopfully when they build the exit one south of there, that'll ease traffic off your exit a little. Ontop of that, Silver Co. proposed to build a lane from that exit, straight to the right turn lane for South Point II... but in my mind all I see is another Central Park problem of people merging onto the road, and others trying to cut over to turn right... so who knows which is better, sitting on the sholder for a little while, or trying to merge over like you have to do on Rt. 3... at least they've increased the legnth of the green light there during rush hour... That's helped a little.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
That interchange wasn't designed for 1/10 of the traffic that use it now... Hopfully when they build the exit one south of there, that'll ease traffic off your exit a little. Ontop of that, Silver Co. proposed to build a lane from that exit, straight to the right turn lane for South Point II... but in my mind all I see is another Central Park problem of people merging onto the road, and others trying to cut over to turn right... so who knows which is better, sitting on the sholder for a little while, or trying to merge over like you have to do on Rt. 3... at least they've increased the legnth of the green light there during rush hour... That's helped a little.
Eric, do you know when that is being built? I can't comment on route 3 (maybe I am lucky).

I just thought that it was unique. Had visions of who decided that they were going to sit on the shoulder first and make it a local tradition.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:56 AM

145 posts, read 834,620 times
If you're coming from the South, take Exit 118 and use Rt. 1. Exit 126 sucks.
You're probably coming from the north, though.

Be sure to thank the Spotsylvania Board of Supervisors spreading their collective legs and letting Sliver, Vakos, and anybody else have their way for decades without improving the roads.

I grew up there from 1976-1994. It was getting overcrowded when I left home. Now it's brutal- I don't know why my parents still live there. i live in Loudoun and I'm calling Spotsy a poorly developed clusterf*ck- that's bad!

They have been talking about this 208 courthouse bypass for over 20 years, and they're finally building it now. And the only reason they're probably doing it is because it will be more convenient for Vakos' stupid development next to RE Lee Elementary.

My only comfort when I'm trying to visit my folks, hitting light upon light on Rt. 3, is Jimmy Stewart's speech to Mr. Potter (ancestor of Carl Silver) in "It's a Wonderful Life":

"You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider."

Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkd View Post
If you're coming from the South, take Exit 118 and use Rt. 1. Exit 126 sucks.
You're probably coming from the north, though.

Be sure to thank the Spotsylvania Board of Supervisors spreading their collective legs and letting Sliver, Vakos, and anybody else have their way for decades without improving the roads.

I grew up there from 1976-1994. It was getting overcrowded when I left home. Now it's brutal- I don't know why my parents still live there. i live in Loudoun and I'm calling Spotsy a poorly developed clusterf*ck- that's bad!

They have been talking about this 208 courthouse bypass for over 20 years, and they're finally building it now. And the only reason they're probably doing it is because it will be more convenient for Vakos' stupid development next to RE Lee Elementary.

My only comfort when I'm trying to visit my folks, hitting light upon light on Rt. 3, is Jimmy Stewart's speech to Mr. Potter (ancestor of Carl Silver) in "It's a Wonderful Life":

"You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider."
Yep coming from the North. (Hopefully I will be working in Richmond one day).

Interesting stuff.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Eric, do you know when that is being built?
From what I've seen in the papers, it seems like it's been approved along with Tricord's Summit development. The Hospital is about 2.5 years away, so I'd assume the interchange would be the same.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:51 AM

Sorry, I meant *where* is it going to be built, but my brain didn't hit the keyboard right.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I meant *where* is it going to be built, but my brain didn't hit the keyboard right.
Oh, it'll be south of exit 126, but north of exit 118. If I had to guess, I would guess around mile marker 121? It'll be a new road that will start at Rt. 1 a little north of where Massaponax Church Rd. intersects Rt. 1... it'll then cross I-95 at the new exit, and then continue east... eventually intersecting Massaponax Church Rd and then hitting Rt. 17 almost to where Rt. 2 and Rt. 17 intersect. It's supposed to be like a 'parkway' with the hospital off of the road, more shopping of course, and a new residential development by Tricord Homes. Tricord is pushing for a new VRE station out there, and Spotsylvania is zoning for a Technology park off of the road, trying to bring down high-paying tech jobs to the area. I believe Fredericksburg Christian School is out that way as well, and they either are expanding, or are going to.

If you go to the Free-Lance Star's website (Fredericksburg.com) I'm sure you can find an article on it.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
Oh, it'll be south of exit 126, but north of exit 118. If I had to guess, I would guess around mile marker 121? It'll be a new road that will start at Rt. 1 a little north of where Massaponax Church Rd. intersects Rt. 1... it'll then cross I-95 at the new exit, and then continue east... eventually intersecting Massaponax Church Rd and then hitting Rt. 17 almost to where Rt. 2 and Rt. 17 intersect. It's supposed to be like a 'parkway' with the hospital off of the road, more shopping of course, and a new residential development by Tricord Homes. Tricord is pushing for a new VRE station out there, and Spotsylvania is zoning for a Technology park off of the road, trying to bring down high-paying tech jobs to the area. I believe Fredericksburg Christian School is out that way as well, and they either are expanding, or are going to.

If you go to the Free-Lance Star's website (Fredericksburg.com) I'm sure you can find an article on it.
Well that all sounds like good news. Solid man! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia