Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 08:43 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,488 times

Advertisements

I will be attempting to drive from Asheville, NC to Harrisburg, PA in one day and will be taking BRP and Skyline for at least part of the day. Since these are pretty slow roads to take, I probably won't be able to take them all the way and will need to use 81 sometimes.

With that said, what are the loveliest stretches of these roads, with the best photo opportunities? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 08:57 AM

97 posts, read 616,292 times
I like Roanoke to I-64/Charlottesville on the BRP... its about a 2 hour stretch with plenty of Valleys and Views. Its definately the most convient section to your itenerary with minimal loss of travel time.

Enjoy

Old 06-15-2007, 08:59 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
brattpowered

If you are serious about doing that drive in one day, you really don't have time to do even a short section of the BRP. If time allows, may I suggest that you take several days for your trip and drive the entire BRP along with the skyline drive thru Shenandoah NP. The entire route is very scenic, so it's hard to pick and choose a certain section, and it would merely be my opinion of what is best. Someone else is certain to have their own favorite section. So, I wouldn't put too much stock in any recommendation you receive on this forum. Drive it..you'll love it...and then you'll have your own favorite section.

For what is worth, my favorite section is from Asheville to the VA border.

Have a great drive....Franco

Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,488 times
jballa: Thanks for the advice! I will definitely check that section out.

francowell: Thanks for your advice too. I realize I don't have enough time to appreciate the drive fully, but I have been known to drive 16 hours at a clip (with breaks) and will be leaving Asheville at 6am. I'd like to try to get in as much of the parkway before dark as I can.

And to everyone else-- if all of the Parkway is very scenic, is there at least one part that isn't really spectacular and terrible to miss?

Last edited by brattpowered; 06-15-2007 at 09:28 AM..

Old 06-15-2007, 09:31 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
brattpowered

I've done alot of those 16 hr ( and even longer ) drives myself. I'm glad it's you doing the drive and not me! I'm living in Colorado now and it's been about 6 years since I've driven on the BRP so my memory is a bit rusty on the details. I just remember the whole drive being very scenic and mostly enjoyable. I say mostly, becasue all of those turns and the 45 mph speed limit get old very quickly if you are in the slighest bit of a hurry and pressed for time.

Enjoy the drive....Franco

Old 06-15-2007, 07:37 PM

50 posts, read 213,287 times
I concur with francowell on the Asheville to Va border section. The season is equally important. We've had better luck with clearer views in the spring and fall than in the dog days of summer - especially up in the northern part of VA. Guess it's some combination of weather (fog?) and smog that can really limit the views sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia