Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,584 times

Advertisements

Just curious -

I wanted to know how old you are, and how you feel about living in the Shenandoah Valley area. Do you feel like there are a lot of people your age in the area? Do you feel a sense of community in your town? Feel free to add anything that you particularly love or hate about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 10:47 AM

542 posts, read 992,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWP87 View Post
Just curious -

I wanted to know how old you are, and how you feel about living in the Shenandoah Valley area. Do you feel like there are a lot of people your age in the area? Do you feel a sense of community in your town? Feel free to add anything that you particularly love or hate about it.
I'm 29 and live in Staunton. I"m fine with living here. It's mostly a quiet place. I like the historic downtown area and Gypsy Hill park. What i don't like is there is a lot of redneck white trash types. I have no problem with poor people as i don't have any money either, but i have a problem with people glorifying a lifestyle, like being dirty, smelly, unhealthy, and unkempt, because they feel entitled to do so. By no means is this a large part of the population, just a few that really stick out and you remember when you see them. There is a lack of good work for young people, i myself travel to Charlottesville for work. There isn't a lot to do, so some young people get bored and commit property crimes. Serious crimes are rare, but do happen occasionally. As far as Staunton, it's mainly older people i feel. There are a lot of people my age, but most want to move. I think there is a sense of community here. I know all of my neighbors and the downtown merchants all look out for each other.

Even though i probably paint a negative picture of the area, for me it's fine. I'm happy here. But it doesn't take much to please me. There isn't much shopping, you either have to go to Charlottesville or Harrisonburg, or for serious shopping Richmond or DC. Again this doesn't bother me since i don't mind getting away for a day either. I do absolutely love the scenery of the valley though and that keeps my mind off some of the things i don't like. But bottom line is you are the only person who will know what will make you happy and i wish you luck in finding the perfect place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia