Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 10:43 AM

86 posts, read 376,638 times

Advertisements

Do any of you know of any nice, yet reasonably priced, apartments in the Shirlington area? I know some of you have mentioned that this is a pretty safe area to live, but it's hard to search for them on the apartment search websites since you have to search by Arlington.

I'd appreciate the help! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 05:58 PM

Any suggestions? I'm doing my apartment search this weekend!! Thanks

Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,107,121 times
Default One suggestion

I'm not familiar with specific apartment buildings in Shirlington, but I would suggest considering condos for rent by owners. They are usually nicely maintained and reasonably priced. You can check out what's available on Craig's List or the Washington Post online.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 PM

I thought about that, but I'm nervous about renting from a private owner and them disappearing as soon as there's a problem!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:20 PM

Okay I did see some postings on Craig's list for Fairlington Villages that seem nice... do you know anything about these?

Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 61,693 times
Default Arlington Rentals

It's unclear from your initial query if you're new to the area or just moving to Arlington from somewhere else in the Metro DC area, so I'll respond as if you're a newcomer. I've lived in Arlington most of my adult life and recommend the County highly, particularly if you work in DC or enjoy being close to the action of DC while enjoying the small town feel of the suburbs. It's not exactly cheap to live here but it sure beats spending hours every day commuting. Low crime, great schools, and Arlington is also one of the most diverse communities you'll ever find. White, Asian, Latin, African American . . . gay, straight, old, young, military, civilian. You name it, we have it--even our few Republicans manage to enjoy life here. And we all get along remarkably well. A big plus: there are cultural and dining opportunities for all those groups and more. The Clarendon neighborhood alone is like a mini-International Bazaar.

Fairlington Villages is a huge and fascinating complex, immediately up the hill from Shirlington, built in the early 1940s as wartime government employee apartments and townhouses for those working at the then brand new Pentagon. Now fully converted to condos, it's divided into several autonomous smaller communities. I have lots of friends there and it's a vibrant, active place to live. Visit their website at

Fairlington Villages :: Home

Fairlington was the largest such complex built but there are also similar but smaller complexes built at the same time for the same purpose all around the County. They're not all real close to Shirlington but among them, look for Cambridge Courts (where I live), Colonial Village, Arlington Village, ParkFairfax (actually across the line in Alexandria, I think), Lyon Park, and Buckingham Village--there are others that escape me at the moment. Google should give you info on each of them. They each have their own charms and there are frequently rentals available. Of course, there are also the modern high-rise types as well, but my impression is that they're usually a little more expensive. Also, generally, expect to pay a little more in North Arlington (the dividing line is Arlington Blvd, US Rt 50) than in South Arlington. Shirlington area is in South.

Frankly, with a very few exceptions, you can't go wrong in any neighborhood in Arlington so don't limit yourself to just Shirlington. Look for something you can afford and go visit--you'll immediately recognize those areas that aren't the most desirable. The rest of Arlington is big city living with a small town feel.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you have.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:42 AM

Thank you for the last post.. that was some great information. We're not necessarily looking just in Shirlington, but it seemed to have better prices than North Arlington. I'll be working in Falls Church, but my roommate works in DC, so access to public transportation is important for her. And yes, I will be new to the area! Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: