Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times

Advertisements

I own a '07 VW Jetta (bought it new). In the following years I have received periodic recall notices for various things. Yesterday there was another waiting in my mailbox for the Under Hood Fuel Supply Line. This is at least the 4th notice they have sent me.

Has anyone actually had problems with their VW related to the recalls? I'm not sure if I should be worried or if VW is taking their potential issues very seriously. VW has a reputation for quality but I get worried with so many recalls. At least all services are free of charge for the inspections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM

780 posts, read 2,926,974 times
Wait, what ? VW has a reputation for quality ?? Since when ?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
I always repeat the old matra.
It is not that you can work on a VW, it is that you always are working on a VW.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 AM

German engineering has a good reputation. People often tell me I'll "drive that car forever". Others I've known with VW's have loved them and had no issues. Aside from these recall checks I've had no problems either.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM

780 posts, read 2,926,974 times
What German engineering all about is unnecessary complexity. I've owned a VW Golf before, I swore I would never own another VAG product in the future; never again. Nowadays, I'm trying to get out of BMW. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful to drive but the engineering part is retardedly complex.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
What German engineering all about is unnecessary complexity. I've owned a VW Golf before, I swore I would never own another VAG product in the future; never again. Nowadays, I'm trying to get out of BMW. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful to drive but the engineering part is retardedly complex.
That I can attest too. I took my VW in for an oil change in a small town. They came and asked me questions about how to do it. I told them if I knew I'd do it myself. They had to hit up the local NAPA to get the oil filter (not a common one as I understood it) and I was told VW made such a simple task difficult. The filter went in an odd place and they had to remove some type of panel. I changed the filter on an old Cavalier I had and all I had to do was reach under and up and unscrew it.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I own a '07 VW Jetta (bought it new). In the following years I have received periodic recall notices for various things. Yesterday there was another waiting in my mailbox for the Under Hood Fuel Supply Line. This is at least the 4th notice they have sent me.

Has anyone actually had problems with their VW related to the recalls? I'm not sure if I should be worried or if VW is taking their potential issues very seriously. VW has a reputation for quality but I get worried with so many recalls. At least all services are free of charge for the inspections.
Recalls are issued when the manufacturer observes a trend among certain year/make/model or even VIN ranges that may result in a significant issue. Overall, VW is not known for their reliability and they do issue quite a few recalls. While recalls in and of themselves are not necessarily a good measure of overall quality, numerous and extensive recalls on a particular model would make me question the quality.

In VW's case there is also a strong contrast in reliability between the cars they build in Germany and the ones that they build in Mexico. Generally only special editions of common VW cars are built in Germany for the U.S., but those cars tend to be much better built.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:10 PM

725 posts, read 3,015,734 times
I had (still have, but family member drives it now) an 02 Jetta and I remember getting a couple recall notices. The first was with a coil, and the second (which was AFTER I experienced this problem and had it fixed) was that the heated seats were burning into the leather (for me, it was on the driver side).

I switched over to BMW for 5-6 years and recently traded it in for the new 11 Jetta. Love this car so far, but there has been a recall on a converter box issue.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:41 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
If no one had the issue stated in the recall, there wouldn't be a recall.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,062,512 times
I have owned 3 VWs over the years. The first one, a 77 Rabbit was a great car. Never had any issues. The others, 84 Scirocco and 04 Jetta had quite a few issues. From my last experience with VW, I would think hard and long before ever buying one again which is a shame, I like their cars but reliability is just not there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen