Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM

952 posts, read 2,633,152 times

Advertisements

So we figured the reason why hubby's 2002 S60 volvo heater isn't working is because he doesn't have a heater hose attached.

I looked online for the OEM parts. I see an inlet (engine to heater )and and outlet hose (heater to engine)??

http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/200...0/heater-hose/

How do I know which hose to buy for it? hubby's friend had a quick look and told him the hose will look like a 'U' shaped hose??

I see only four types of hoses and I want to be sure to buy the correct one.

Can someone please advise me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
You're missing the point. The reason the heater isn't working is because someone disconnected the hose in the first place. Nobody just does that without a reason. The big question is, why would someone do that? My first guess is that you'll connect the new hose and find out that the car suddenly has a fresh flow of engine coolant into the passenger compartment, from the broken heater core. Either that, or the climate control is somehow stuck pouring heat into the car. Either way, you are in for some sort of surprise when you reconnect it.

Also, the heater core has two hoses, an inlet and outlet hose. Did someone just use one of the existing heater hoses to route around the heater core, leaving you to replace just one of them, rerouting the remaining one correctly?

I'd probably trust a Volvo dealer with this question first. The prices won't be much different than the parts you listed. At least they will be able to ask you the questions needed to guess more accurately. There are a few aftermarket Volvo parts sources also, but they may not even carry the heater core hoses.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 AM

he bought the car from one a local car lot, didnt even check the ins and outs of the car before paying. lesson learned,
drove back, heater not working, too far to again drive back to dealer., didnt even bother questioning him about the heater not working.
oh well
its in our hands now and we will fix

Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
its in our hands now and we will fix
If the problem is a leaking heater core--as I suspect it to be--the OP should be prepared for a VERY expensive repair bill.

While the heater core itself probably costs only about $150 for a genuine Volvo part, the labor necessary to remove the dashboard in order to access the heater core could wind up costing...maybe another $600-$700.

Some mechanics don't even want to tackle this type of job, so be sure to shop around.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
You're missing the point. The reason the heater isn't working is because someone disconnected the hose in the first place. Nobody just does that without a reason. The big question is, why would someone do that? My first guess is that you'll connect the new hose and find out that the car suddenly has a fresh flow of engine coolant into the passenger compartment, from the broken heater core. Either that, or the climate control is somehow stuck pouring heat into the car. Either way, you are in for some sort of surprise when you reconnect it.

Also, the heater core has two hoses, an inlet and outlet hose. Did someone just use one of the existing heater hoses to route around the heater core, leaving you to replace just one of them, rerouting the remaining one correctly?

I'd probably trust a Volvo dealer with this question first. The prices won't be much different than the parts you listed. At least they will be able to ask you the questions needed to guess more accurately. There are a few aftermarket Volvo parts sources also, but they may not even carry the heater core hoses.

I have not taken a look at myself yet to see, but from what he told me and from what his friend pointed out that that is where the heater hose goes into. I'll take a look at it after work and maybe I'll post a pic of it here if I can.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If the problem is a leaking heater core--as I suspect it to be--the OP should be prepared for a VERY expensive repair bill.

While the heater core itself probably costs only about $150 for a genuine Volvo part, the labor necessary to remove the dashboard in order to access the heater core could wind up costing...maybe another $600-$700.

Some mechanics don't even want to tackle this type of job, so be sure to shop around.
Wrong on both labor and parts for this one.

The dealer list price for a 9171503-7 heater core is $510.00!!

Of course, industry aftermarket suppliers have them available for a lot less money, so shop around. Some will be OE or equivalent, some will be reproduction units of much lower quality; be sure to ask what brand/make the heater core is being quoted. I'd want to use the OE or equivalent only for this car even if a little more expensive than the repro units.

The Dash does NOT require removal in this car to replace the heater core. Flat rate time is 3.2 hours to do this job; it requires removal of sound insulation panels below the dash, removal of the brake light switch, and a few mounting screws and straps to release the heater core.

For the purpose of diagnostics, I'd hook up the heater core now to a water hose and put clear plain water through it. Gently, of course, with no more than 10-15 psi of pressure. The point here is that instead of hooking up the heater core to the engine as normally installed, you'll only be testing the integrity of the heater core with plain water instead of an anti-freeze coolant solution from the engine. If the heater core leaks, I'd rather have to clean up the mess (and the potential spillage upon replacement of the core) of plain water than anti-freeze in the car.

If the heater core doesn't appear to be leaking, then I'd obtain the correct heater hoses and install them, bleed out the cooling system, and pressure test the system again to be sure that it isn't leaking.

A common problem I've seen in Volvo's has been that the climate controls/temp controls "stick" in a position and can have the heater delivering a lot of heat when A/C is desired. I've installed a lot of in-line shut-off valves in the coolant hoses in Volvo's for years, and we've manually turned the valves off during the A/C season. For the cooler/winter months, we then turn the valves back on and the customer has the heating system. A few minutes to install the valves and a couple of bucks for each valve is far less expensive than the OE valves or controls which haven't been very reliable in some of the cars.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM

i'm just curious how this has gone from the heater having no hose attached to it (as I have explained - but yet to see this with my very own eyes!!!)to the reason there is no heat blowing out is because of a leak from the heater core.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
i'm just curious how this has gone from the heater having no hose attached to it (as I have explained - but yet to see this with my very own eyes!!!)to the reason there is no heat blowing out is because of a leak from the heater core.
As posted above, there's got to be a reason why the heater hose would have been removed ...

There's two likely scenarios:

1) The heater core has failed and is leaking. By not having it hooked up, the coolant loss from it is eliminated.

2) The heater control system has failed and doesn't shut the heat off. So the car could potentially have the heater on all the time which might not be desirable in summer driving.

Both of these situations aren't uncommon with this series of car. They cost money to fix, and perhaps a former owner or the used car dealer didn't want to put that money into the car, passing it along to an unsuspecting next owner.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
As posted above, there's got to be a reason why the heater hose would have been removed ...

There's two likely scenarios:

1) The heater core has failed and is leaking. By not having it hooked up, the coolant loss from it is eliminated.

2) The heater control system has failed and doesn't shut the heat off. So the car could potentially have the heater on all the time which might not be desirable in summer driving.

Both of these situations aren't uncommon with this series of car. They cost money to fix, and perhaps a former owner or the used car dealer didn't want to put that money into the car, passing it along to an unsuspecting next owner.

I hear you on that. There are a couple of volvo mechanics in our area and I'm getting hubby to take it in to get an estimate of whatever needs to be done to it.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Do you have a local Volvo or Swedish shop that can look at the car? I have found in my experience with Volvos that the better repairs, in terms of cost and performing the work properly, were at local Swedish mechanics, not the dealership, or local mechanic who may not be as well versed in Volvo. You may pay a slightly higher labor rate for a Volvo mechanic, but they can generally fix issues without needing to work on the car multiple times, as can be the case for some general mechanics. However, I also know of a couple of superb mechanics who could handle the Volvo without issue, though they may not have as fast a turnaround as a Volvo mechanic who can more readily diagnose, and may be more likely to either have the part in stock, or knows where to get it quickly.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo