Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with these cars? I know they are pretty reliable and durable, I've had mine for two years, got it with 163k miles, now has 180k. I'm relocating soon (which led me to this forum, hah), and while I'd like to keep the car, I'm debating whether it will be worth it. I haven't had any significant problems with the car, but it has needed some serious maintenance in the time I've had it and probably needs some more.

I'm bringing it to a local Volvo mechanic on Wednesday and we'll see what he says, but I was wondering if any car nuts (of which I am not one at all) might have an opinion. Would it be worth spending, say, a grand to get it into top shape? I can certainly live without a car where I'm going (Chicago), but I'll be in a neighborhood with easy parking and I prefer to have one. Plus the insurance on this car is cheap and it's a good car for a city dweller (easy to park, don't care if it gets dinged up a little).

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 01:15 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Well, it's an old car that will need semi-constant attention. I have a couple of 240's that have the same mechanicals. I really enjoy the rear wheel drive aspect and the seats can't be beat for comfort. They handle ok (even better with aftermarket sway bars) and get reasonable gas mileage. The engines and trannies are as solid as they come and their looks are truly retro-something.

But... The little things can add up. Eventually, you'll need an rpm sensor, overdrive relay, fuel pump relay, wiper motor, a new flame trap and fuel filter(dirt cheap, but nearly impossible to do these yourself), a new radiator, water pump and belts. The electronics of the early 90s can be wacky or... perfect!

I love these cars. Very stable and as safe as they could be in their day. They do need maintenance, though, and it all depends on how far you are willing to go with them in that department. you truly need to be somewhat of a do-it-yourselfer or you'll spend some serious cash. Good luck either way.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:53 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
If the car otherwise meets/exceeds your transportation needs and can be kept roadworthy for a nominal amount of money, then it's absolutely a good choice to keep it going.

Consider that it's very inexpensive for each mile you put on it now ... fully depreciated when you bought it, cheap to insure, cheap to license, etc.

Even if it needed a couple thousand dollar expense over the next few years, compare that to just a downpayment on a new (or newer) car and the continuing high monthly payments and insurance for years to come. You're still ahead of the transportation game with this car ....

Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I am far from an expert, but this type of Volvo can easily go well into the 200,000 mile range. I also know from past experience, some of the parts and repairs can be done on one's own (with a manual, of course).

I'd take it unless the dealership gives you a poor report on some of it's more expensive parts.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:42 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
I've got a '93 940, with about 150K mileage. It's got a few pesky little things wrong with it, like no AC, the gas gauge is flaky, etc. But it runs good, has those comfortable seats, handles nicely, and it's a station wagon so it's good for hauling stuff, like our 17' canoe on the roof. I really haven't seen many new cars these days that appeal to me (at least none that I can afford), also everything's front-wheel, four-wheel or all-wheel drive and I like the old RWD 940, so I'm gonna drive it as long as possible.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:16 PM

Thanks! I'll keep all of this in mind.

I was wondering how much this car would be worth if I tried to trade-up for a newer used car - could I get something decent for trading in this car and putting another 3k on top of it? I know that not a hell of a lot, but I could afford to pay it in cash, so no payments, etc.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:58 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
this car and 3K won't get you a "step up" vehicle, even if you took it to a "$3,000 push, pull, or drag" trade in promotion. Keep your Volvo, and get the remaining service life out of it you've purchased.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:43 PM

Yes, I've realized that now, hah....was just a thought.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I'd keep the car, at least until spring. I've always hated getting a newer car in the wintertime with the road salt and potential for damage on the snowy roads. Volvos are known for lasting a long time. And I'd much rather spent periodic bits of little money on the upkeep of an old good car than spend the big bucks on a new car and higher car insurance premiums.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Aren't the newer Volvos basically Fords?

Is it only the older Vovlos that last a long time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo