Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Volvo -vs- SAAB
SAAB 25 33.33%
Volvo 50 66.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,245,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
....and a Lexus is a fancy Toyota and a Infinity is a fancy Nissan and a Lincoln is a fancy Ford and a Acura is a fancy Honda and a what's your point? Their still made in Sweden!!!

You forgot that Maybach is a fancy Mercedes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 02:19 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,630,871 times
In the old days the Volvo really were great cars, since Ford has owned them they are riding on old faith. Saab was bought by GM to make the saturn, GM screwed over the platform. I would buy the Volvo as first choice but prefer the old ones.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 PM

24,493 posts, read 26,038,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
In the old days the Volvo really were great cars, since Ford has owned them they are riding on old faith. Saab was bought by GM to make the saturn, GM screwed over the platform. I would buy the Volvo as first choice but prefer the old ones.
Don't think Saab every made Saturn. Most are designed (at least partially) by Opal of Germany. Some made in the US, Astra is made in Belgum if memory serves.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:09 PM

592 posts, read 503,006 times
If I had too, I would buy the Volvo.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:20 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,472,077 times
They don't make them like they used to:

Man with 2.6 million-mile Volvo P1800 aims for 3 million

Old 05-29-2009, 04:02 PM

498 posts, read 1,457,005 times
I love the Saab Aero X, I think it's one of the most beautiful things ever designed... it just isn't a real car. Some Saabs are still attractive, and I have to admit the vertically-retractable cup-holders are very swanky, but I'd probably never buy one.

In my opinion Volvo makes some of the best interiors in terms of ergonomics and aesthetics. I appreciate the amount of effort they must put in to making every button have the perfect finish, and making every inch of the interior nice to touch. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but they also smell good. Really, like after a long auto show of sitting in tons of cars with their toxic smelly interiors, Volvos are always refreshing and comfortable. They have air filters and purifiers to make them allergen friendly, and they're some of the least toxic interiors around. Very nice, now if only their performance was a little more impressive...

Old 05-29-2009, 08:27 PM

602 posts, read 2,035,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
They don't make them like they used to:

Man with 2.6 million-mile Volvo P1800 aims for 3 million
I actually saw that guy on the road one day a few years back.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Are you a fan of your Saab? What year?
1995, 900 SE. There are some things I like about it, some things I don't. I like that the engine (2.0 turbo) has so much high-end grunt that I can leave itin 5th, punch it, and still build up some good passing speed. Unfortunately the flipside is that it's such a dog down low that I could grow a beard before the turbo finally starts doing its job. So, not much of a dragster, but a great interstate cruiser. It's pretty stable and quiet at speed, and I like the functions built into the SID and it's well appointed (power seats, leather, power everything else, moon roof, etc.).

Things I don't like is that it has been a bit of a maintenance hog, but part of that was because I ended up buying someone else's deferred maintenance. And when I subsequently obtained a '97 Jetta, albeit one with a big-ass strut tower brace, I very quickly became aware of the limitations of the Saab's platform. Probably something a bigger rear sway bar could partially mitigate, but my wife drives it a lot and I don't want her to let off the gas one day on a wet road or something like that and have the back end swing out on her.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 PM

812 posts, read 4,086,235 times
I generally enjoy both of the Swedish makes, they tend to speak my language in terms of what I want and like. I love my Volvo, it's been hassle-free to me. I like the balance they strike: it's comfortable to commute in on a daily basis, it can road trip very comfortably, great seats, and allows you to drive a bit harder if you want. It also looks like a car, not a spaceship, like so many cars these days do.

Current products from both companies are a little lackluster and misguided in my opinion.

When it comes down to it, I regard both highly, but my vote went to:
http://www.classiccar.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/b3.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,029,736 times
I liked my 03 Saab 9-5 ARC and it served me well, with no letdowns until the dealer screwed up my 60k service by starting the engine with a bolt in it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo