Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,609 times

Advertisements

I currently live in DE. I just moved to Milford the end of June. It's about 18 miles west of Rehoboth. I have a job interview in Glen Burnie, MD. It's a good opportunity with room for growth...and the possibility to take a position in DE the end of next year. I'll be increasing my income by about $25K or more per year, plus medical and dental benefits are crazy cheap....$60 a month total for both.

I'm not really in the financial position to relocate after I just spent $700 to move less than 2 months ago....my ex-fiance (who I moved to DE for)...he cheated on me and ditched me with all the house bills. And to be honest, I love the house I found to rent...my landlord is awesome...quiet street, great house...cheap rent...no sales tax and I can be at the beach in less than 30 minutes. I can't afford to live any closer to Annapolis. I have a 3 bedroom house with fenced yard, basement, hardwood floors and new kitchen for $750 a month. And with two positions opening up in DE next year, I don't want to have to pick up and move back again.

My questions are...what can I expect for a commute?
How much are tolls?
The distance is about 70 miles each way. What could I expect to see for commute time? My hours will be 9am-7pm or 10am-7pm, 4 or 5 days a week. Probably working the weekends.
Does 9am or 10am make a difference is traffic patterns? What about leaving at 7pm?
Is there any mass transit from Eastern MD to Glen Burnie?
When are the worse times of the day for the bridge and traffic?

I've done a 70 miles each way commute before...it was very hard on my body b/c I was working overnights and it was a more physically demanding then this job will be. Both are in the same field...except this job I'm interviewing for is a management position. I'm also thinking that I may be able to spend the night in a motel here and there if needed...especially Friday nights heading over the bridge back to MD during the summer. I also have a friend who will be living in Alexandria, so that may also be a possibility crash pad.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM

7 posts, read 17,894 times
Hi - I think I can help.

I live in Salisbury, Md., and commute to Annapolis 3 days a week. It's 88 miles each way. I don't like it, but it's not the worst thing ever. It takes me anywhere from an hour and a half to just under 2 hours.

There is just one toll - $2.50 going east over the bridge.

I leave the office around 5 p.m., and don't really experience a whole lot of traffic going over the bridge. However, my office is in annapolis, so my total Route 50 time before the bridge is only about 6 or 7 miles. I try to avoid going over the bridge on Friday afternoons during the summer, so I work from home those days. The days I have done it, I left at 3 p.m., and didn't hit any traffic. I'm not sure what it would be like going over at 7 p.m.

There's no mass transit.

Alexandria would be pretty far from Glen Burnie, I think. It would be just as time-efficient to go home.

Monetarily, sounds like it's worth it to me. Then again, I made the switch for just a couple grand more a year because I wanted the job so badly.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,609 times
I took the drive last friday from DE over the bridge thru Annapolis to go to Baltimore. Traffic wasn't bad at all. I didn't hit anything. If I get this job (still waiting)...I'll be making my schedule, so I can have the luxury of not working on Fridays once the season hits again. My work week will probably just be 4 days a week. I REALLY want this job too...it will be a good move and give me a career instead of a just a job...and there is growth potential. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...I'll know this week.

I've been investigating the DC metro area...Annapolis and Alexandria area to see if it's a possiblity to even relocate. But I can't imagine I can afford it. I pay $750 a month for renting a 3 bedroom house. And I love living close to the beach. My friend makes $115K a year and is having difficulty finding a decent place to live in Olde Town Alexandria. I think the two bedroom townhouse he found to rent is $2200 mo. So commuting I think it is!

Thanks for your input.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Alexandria is not really that viable a crash pad option -- it is pretty far from Annapolis.

Commute should be okay except on Friday nights during the summer.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland