Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,835 times

Advertisements

I agree with the first two lists. Northern seems much more diverse which is always a plus to me.
Commute and public transport options are a major factor in this area which wasn't discussed much beyond Largo's metro station. I'd love to see more commentary on that since for myself though what I have seen of Bowie is great I'd never consider it as I wouldn't want to sit in traffic for an hour and a half to two hours each way to work. For my own needs as someone is not a government employee and who will likely always work in the Dulles Corridor or Fairfax (NoVa is kicking Maryland's butt in attracting businesses unfortunately) which is where most of the major corporations are based nowadays....the only viable option commute wise from the lists is Ft. Washington. Most all those other locations listed work well for a commute to MoCo or DC jobs (or the rare job within Prince Georges) though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 07:34 AM

142 posts, read 249,713 times
Going east on 193, Prince George’s County certainly changes after you pass Lanham-Severn Road. I usually expect anyone with praise for the county to highlight the box area bounded by Lanham Severn road at the north, the beltway on the west, 301 on the east, and 4 at the south.

Of course this isn't to say that there aren't other places that people like to highlight but this area comes up without fail.

http://d.imagehost.org/t/0803/PG.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-09-2010, 05:33 AM

15 posts, read 54,477 times
I agree..Cheverly is nice. I agree with Bowie being #1 too. Laurel I might rank #2 or 3

Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 8,889 times
Cheverly is great, PG has been intentionally targeted by the "powers" that be, if you google the census for the county, the income is high, and the poverty rate is low, but the market and amenities offered are : (

On another note: Looking for a home in PG call me, Agent with ZipRealty

Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 12,212 times
Beltsville provides a rural feeling (affordable traditional homes on large lots), yet is just a stone's throw from access to major highways (I-95, etc).
It's a neighborhood which provides high ethnic diversity, is safe/quiet..... but not high on the "walk-ability" score but then what is in this area? (Sorry....I"m spoiled, I'm recently here from Santa Monica, CA with prices per square foot of $700).

Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 AM

72 posts, read 459,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Okay, I'm trying to break the ice on this website a bit. It seems like there has been a lot of negative things said about PG and people have either taken it to one extreme or another. People are either defending PG to the death or bashing every last part of it. I like to consider myself in the middle, but I do believe there are a lot more negative things said on here about PG than necessary especially from people who know very little about the area. So with that said, I want to help give people a more positive idea of the good things that PG County does, so I want to see what people believe are the top communities in PG. There is a few criteria that everyone must follow:

• The list must only include recognized cities, towns, and unincorporated census-designated places (See the list)
  • When thinking of the what constitutes a great community think of schools, crime rate, home value, parks, amenities, location proximity to major roads and important places (like DC or a Metro station), etc.
  • Remember these are just opinions. There is no need for people to get upset.
Okay so with that said, here goes my top 10:
  1. Bowie (every thing is great here, simply the best place)
  2. Upper Marlboro (quiet, somewhat rural, good schools)
  3. Greenbelt (good schools, good home value, a lot of major roads)
  4. Glenn Dale (great home value, quiet area)
  5. Clinton (good location, has shopping, parks, up and coming)
  6. Mitchellville/Lake Arbor/Woodmore (it's virtually all the same to me) (good home value, closer to major roads, quiet)
  7. Brandywine (up and coming, very diverse, nice new homes)
  8. Fort Washington (nice homes, beautiful parks)
  9. Accokeek (quiet, nice homes, affordable)
  10. Largo (Metro station, nice homes, a lot of shopping centers, near major roads)
With all of that said, I probably wouldn't consider much outside of these areas, but for anyone interested in PG, these are the 10 top places in my opinion. Let's see what others have...

Hey i'm just factchecking the median income for a family in the areas you named. It is really sad, that this county suffers from such a bad reputation. I have never seen this in my life. A well to do county (one of the wealthiest in the country) suffer from such bad press. What i have noticed is the way individuals (news, metro residents, and etc) go about trashing the county. The police never report on individual towns or cities in Prince Georges county when publishing bad news, they refer to the entire county, which I have never seen done in any major metro area I have ever lived (except here). I hate to say it, but it makes me wonder if the negative sterotyping of this entire county is in large part, because of the black/african american middle class majority? I know a number of well to do counties in the country with problems (violent crime and a lot of property crime), but you know the areas and towns (to stear clear of) and everyone is well aware it is not the "entire" county.

However, in Prince Georges "they" make you think the whole county is Detroit or something. It's odd I've visted and it's one of the most rural places close to DC, but judging by the press you'd think it was just one gigantic city outside of DC lol. I know there are very bad/dangerous areas within the county, but I just think the "race thing" in such a well to do county plays a bigger factor than we would all like to admit and accept. When I visited the area there were like 3 or 4 shooting in the same area in Prince Georges (i believe Oxon Hill/Glassmanor or Seat Pleasant it was all very close to the DC/boarder line), however the news reported the story as if the entire county had been shot up lol. In fact I think two anchors were standing probably a block away from each other reporting live as if they were in different parts of the county lol. I was shocked, I do not know how "they" get away with it and how so many people actually believe it. (but then again this is America where uneducated personal opinions seem to trump the facts; more often than not lol.)

Anyway here are the median incomes for the areas named according to the 2008 census data -

Putting the data into perspective

Median Income for Families in the US -$63,211
Median Income for Families in the State of MD -$84,126 (BTW Maryland was the Wealtiest State in the Country in 2008. I think it has fallen to dare i say #2 or #3)

Maryland - Income in the Past 12 Months (In 2008 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars)
  1. Bowie - $113,114
American FactFinder_
  1. Upper Marlboro - $121,041
Greater Upper Marlboro CDP, Maryland - Income in the Past 12 Months (In 2008 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars)
  1. Greenbelt - $76,042
Greenbelt city, Maryland - Income in the Past 12 Months (In 2008 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars)
  1. Glenn Dale - couldn't find info
  1. Clinton - $102,290
Clinton CDP, Maryland - Income in the Past 12 Months (In 2008 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars)
  1. Mitchellville/Lake Arbor/Woodmore - No data given for 2008
  1. Brandywine - No data given for 2008
  1. Fort Washington - $112,250
Fort Washington CDP, Maryland - Income in the Past 12 Months (In 2008 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars)
  1. Accokeek -No data given for 2008
  1. Largo - No data given for 2008
PS -Another fact i read and find funny is Prince Georges is the only county in the DC/Metro area that is referred to as "Urban", but if you look up the data it's the largest and most rural county in the DC/Metro area. In fact it's the least densely populated county out of the big three Fairfax and Montgomery County (moco).
The population density is:

Fairfax ; 2,455 people per square mile (948/km²).
Montgomery; 1762 people per square mile (680 /km2).

Prince Georges; 1651 people per square mile (638/km2).

Last edited by factcheckerdude; 12-12-2010 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Median Income for Families in the US -$63,211
Median Income for Families in the State of MD -$84,126 (BTW Maryland was the Wealtiest State in the Country in 2008. I think it has fallen to dare i say #2 or #3)
Personally I dont' see how MD is ahead of CA or NY/CT for median income...but...

I know this area has DC lobbyists and lawyers and Congressional leaches, uh, lawmakers and gov't workers -- but If Maryland is ahead of or even in the company of CA (with all its MM-dollar celebrities), NY and CT (with all the celebs and Wall Streeters there), then I don't want to THINK about all out taxpayer dollars that could be supporting its position.

And it brings home that many of us are truly blessed, because -- again -- if MD is ahead of on par with those others states which have SOO much money being made there, that means there are a WHOLE LOT of people making nothing in those states. The poverty numbers that must people holding down NY/CT or CA's numbers must be staggering.

Unless there's something else I'm not taking into account.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:19 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Personally I dont' see how MD is ahead of CA or NY/CT for median income...but...

I know this area has DC lobbyists and lawyers and Congressional leaches, uh, lawmakers and gov't workers -- but If Maryland is ahead of or even in the company of CA (with all its MM-dollar celebrities), NY and CT (with all the celebs and Wall Streeters there), then I don't want to THINK about all out taxpayer dollars that could be supporting its position.

And it brings home that many of us are truly blessed, because -- again -- if MD is ahead of on par with those others states which have SOO much money being made there, that means there are a WHOLE LOT of people making nothing in those states. The poverty numbers that must people holding down NY/CT or CA's numbers must be staggering.

Unless there's something else I'm not taking into account.
Well I think the fact that a majority of our population lies between DC and Baltimore contributes to this. That's where the jobs are. You also have look at the number of government jobs that are available. Those jobs effect government workers as well as attracting contractors into this area so the number of white collars jobs is high around here. Other places have a more spread out population with more diverse jobs. And let's not kid ourselves places like Montgomery and Howard County are among some of the richest in this country, with Charles County not too far behind. Homes cost like a gazillion dollars (not really), so there are nice places here. Outside of the DC and Baltimore area, there's not much money-wise nor population.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:45 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Yes but even with all that I'm surprised MD trumps (dare I say) CA and NY/CT.

Maybe it has to do with how they're figuring 'income.' But even so I'd think those other states would be higher up than MD. I'd put NY or CT "income" up against MD money any day of the week.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:39 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factcheckerdude View Post
However, in Prince Georges "they" make you think the whole county is Detroit or something. It's odd I've visted and it's one of the most rural places close to DC, but judging by the press you'd think it was just one gigantic city outside of DC lol. I know there are very bad/dangerous areas within the county, but I just think the "race thing" in such a well to do county plays a bigger factor than we would all like to admit and accept. When I visited the area there were like 3 or 4 shooting in the same area in Prince Georges (i believe Oxon Hill/Glassmanor or Seat Pleasant it was all very close to the DC/boarder line), however the news reported the story as if the entire county had been shot up lol. In fact I think two anchors were standing probably a block away from each other reporting live as if they were in different parts of the county lol. I was shocked, I do not know how "they" get away with it and how so many people actually believe it. (but then again this is America where uneducated personal opinions seem to trump the facts; more often than not lol.)
Well, for military people, we know that if you say some area is bad, that is were the black people are.... just a fact, no joke. Heck, when I moved here from NC, I thought PG was ghetto... but heck, it seems more country than were I moved from Charlotte... I am like "wow". lol There was a tractor outside my cousin's house. I'm like WTF?

Listen to people outside and you would think the gansters are hiding behind the tractor waiting to put two in your back and leave you in your driveway....

My drive window did get busted out my car... oh, wait, that was in Gaithersburg. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland