Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:22 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times

Advertisements

First it was the outlet mall and now it's this...

Wal-Mart planned for near National Harbor

Traffic is about to get real bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,566,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
First it was the outlet mall and now it's this...

Wal-Mart planned for near National Harbor

Traffic is about to get real bad!

Actually, the area near the Clarion Hotel is far enough away from National Harbor not to be any impact at all. Perhaps 410 may get a bit congested, but they need retail in other parts of Oxon Hill real bad. Not sure Wal-Mart was a good choice. And I'm not so sure too many people will be streaming in from Alexandria to shop at Wal-Mart. I could be wrong.
The outlet mall will definitely increase traffic for the area because it will draw people from up to 80 miles away. You'll start to get people from the Richmond area going to the mall since it will be a bit more upscale than Potomac Mills. It will offer them something different. What a nightmare!

Old 06-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Actually, the area near the Clarion Hotel is far enough away from National Harbor not to be any impact at all. Perhaps 410 may get a bit congested, but they need retail in other parts of Oxon Hill real bad. Not sure Wal-Mart was a good choice. And I'm not so sure too many people will be streaming in from Alexandria to shop at Wal-Mart. I could be wrong.
The outlet mall will definitely increase traffic for the area because it will draw people from up to 80 miles away. You'll start to get people from the Richmond area going to the mall since it will be a bit more upscale than Potomac Mills. It will offer them something different. What a nightmare!
It's not a problem for the National Harbor, it's a problem for Oxon Hill. Traffic over there is horrible. The main Oxon Hill Road corridor is horrible and is prone to having heavy traffic and accidents. It is only a two lane road with a zillion entrances on each side. Cars jump out and cut other off all the time. Imagine what will happen when you add a Walmart.

210 (not 410) is probably not going to affected at all because it is far enough away.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:04 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,566,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
It's not a problem for the National Harbor, it's a problem for Oxon Hill. Traffic over there is horrible. The main Oxon Hill Road corridor is horrible and is prone to having heavy traffic and accidents. It is only a two lane road with a zillion entrances on each side. Cars jump out and cut other off all the time. Imagine what will happen when you add a Walmart.

210 (not 410) is probably not going to affected at all because it is far enough away.

agreed.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:32 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The outlet mall will definitely increase traffic for the area because it will draw people from up to 80 miles away. You'll start to get people from the Richmond area going to the mall since it will be a bit more upscale than Potomac Mills. It will offer them something different.
There are comparable outlets in Williamsburg:

Williamsburg Premium Outlets

I doubt anyone from Richmond would brave more than 100 miles of 95 traffic just to go outlet shopping.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
There are comparable outlets in Williamsburg:

Williamsburg Premium Outlets

I doubt anyone from Richmond would brave more than 100 miles of 95 traffic just to go outlet shopping.
That's true and the outlet center down there is nice, but I would think they would come that far for a well-rounded experience. I mean people who go down to Williamsburg, might going to the colonial part and possibly Busch Gardens as well, which are nice, but isn't a whole lot compared to up here. Up here you can shop, go to monuments, tons of museums and what not. It's a much more diverse experience at the National Harbor. Both are great, but I think it ultimately depends on what you are looking for.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:59 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
I like Wal-Mart but I have a feeling this is not what the "there's no upscale shopping in PG Crowd" wants. Should be interesting.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,457 times
That location is technically downtown Oxon Hill. I am not a Walmart shopper (I go to Target in Alexandria and Waldorf) but I welcome the tax revenue and jobs for the county and state. He tried to bring Target previously on a parcel of land not far from the Harbor but it was on/near historic land and got shot down. Kmart is the only option in Oxon Hill and this should shake things up for them as they had a lock on that type of shopping over here since there was no Target or Walmart nearby. They will definitely draw DC shoppers as many of them already shop at the stores in Oxon Hill. There is already a Walmart across the bridge in Alexandria, they won't come over for that unless the Oxon Hill location has something in stock that theirs does not. We have a new Marshalls now also, I haven't been yet though.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 AM

692 posts, read 1,731,932 times
I don't shop at Walmart for many reasons. But I do shop at Target and Kmart. So the new Walmart won't change my shopping habits. But it might change my driving route. Traffic in that area can be brutal at certain times of the day. The Walmart will just make it worse.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,535 times
Why does everyone keep saying that people from Alexandria (and by extension the rest of Virginia) won't go to shop in Oxon Hill? Is that some kind of prerequisite? Prince George's County is both the 59th largest county and by itself would be the 59th largest metropolitan area in all of the United States. I would think Prince George's County is a large enough market to support ONE Wal-Mart Supercenter and ONE outlet mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland