Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:31 AM

18 posts, read 30,221 times

Advertisements

I understand that almost no place near DC would be considered under-valued to some people. But just relatively, where do you think have the most potential to pick up real estate price in prince george/howard county?

I would vote for greenbelt. I think it is close to DC with easy access to metro. The housing price is not as high as Columbia or Elliott city, so it has potential to grow. On the other hand, the price of Columbia or Elliott city are already high up there. I like the homey atmosphere of greenbelt. The high school in greenbelt is also good. Plus, it is close to UMCP. What do you think?

I am looking to buy a small townhouse in this region and I am just doing my homework. I plan to spend up to $200,000. I am a single male in mid-twenties and I plan to have one roommate either in one of the bedroom or in the basement. So location with easy renting is a plus for me. Any suggestions for me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:52 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaofuzhang View Post
I understand that almost no place near DC would be considered under-valued to some people. But just relatively, where do you think have the most potential to pick up real estate price in prince george/howard county?

I would vote for greenbelt. I think it is close to DC with easy access to metro. The housing price is not as high as Columbia or Elliott city, so it has potential to grow. On the other hand, the price of Columbia or Elliott city are already high up there. I like the homey atmosphere of greenbelt. The high school in greenbelt is also good. Plus, it is close to UMCP. What do you think?

I am looking to buy a small townhouse in this region and I am just doing my homework. I plan to spend up to $200,000. I am a single male in mid-twenties and I plan to have one roommate either in one of the bedroom or in the basement. So location with easy renting is a plus for me. Any suggestions for me? Thanks.

EYA Arts District and Hyattsville as a whole in Prince Georges County hands down. Some business owners see it as the next Bethesda. Lofty ambitions, but it is on the rise and hopefully will become a better version of Downtown Silver Spring. That could take 15 years though.

I'm sure others will disagree. :-)

EYA Arts District

Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
What does EYA stand for?

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:13 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
I do agree with Greenbelt, but I also have to add the Oxon Hill/Fort Washington area. Greenbelt is about to have a lot of development around their Metro stations, you combined that with good schools and relatively safe town and you will probably see a boom once they finish with that new development.

As far as Oxon Hill and Fort Washington, they just keep adding new things. We're about to get a new outlet mall, a Walmart (they are already clearing the land for the street that it will be on), National Harbor is also building manor houses and possibly a Disney resort Hotel, a Children's museum and there is already a 3D movie theater that opened in Rivertowne. They are definitely trying to make Oxon Hill/National Harbor the big thing here. It's dirt cheap to live in Oxon Hill and Fort Washington outside the National Harbor, but once the housing market picks up and the National Harbor continues to develop, that will change.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
What does EYA stand for?

Thanks.

It's the initials of the owners. (S)omething (S)omething (A)ssociates. They are the developers.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM

434 posts, read 1,118,581 times
If schools aren't important yet, there are a couple hidden gem areas in the Hyattsville/Adelphi area. They are far enough away from the University to not attract large groups of student renters, but close enough to attract grad. student renters. In fact, if you live in the basement apartment and rent out the house, you could attract a visiting faculty and his/her family.

These hidden areas are called University Hills (the southern portion of that neighborhood); Lewisdale (iffy, but still an option) and an area of Adelphi north of Univ. Blvd/193, west of Adelphi, and south of Metzerott.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,935,273 times
Capitol Heights, Oxon Hill, Mount Rainier areas- Pretty much any area that borders DC, At some point they will be gentrified and will be taken full advantage of by commuters who are tired of traveling 4 hours from Prince William County each day-

Unfortunately, currently it's a classic case of divide and conqueor, where those who live outside of the beltway are made to feel "superior" to those inside the beltway, while the county as a whole should be united, since I never hear the news say "Inside the beltway there was a murder", no they say "In Prince George's County there was a murder" but eh whatever-

When that day will arrive, I have no clue, however at some point folks will start to realize that you can get to Downtown DC in 15 minutes from some of the worst areas in Prince George's County, during awful rush hour traffic

JMO

Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Capitol Heights, Oxon Hill, Mount Rainier areas- Pretty much any area that borders DC, At some point they will be gentrified and will be taken full advantage of by commuters who are tired of traveling 4 hours from Prince William County each day-

Unfortunately, currently it's a classic case of divide and conqueor, where those who live outside of the beltway are made to feel "superior" to those inside the beltway, while the county as a whole should be united, since I never hear the news say "Inside the beltway there was a murder", no they say "In Prince George's County there was a murder" but eh whatever-

When that day will arrive, I have no clue, however at some point folks will start to realize that you can get to Downtown DC in 15 minutes from some of the worst areas in Prince George's County, during awful rush hour traffic

JMO

Studies have already shown that the suburbs will house the low-income that are pushed farther out from the city center. How far out though is a matter of debate. If transit oriented development is any indication, any place within a square mile of a metro station will be too expensive.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Areas near national harbor can definitely be better once the PG government is up to speed with all the new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I do agree with Greenbelt, but I also have to add the Oxon Hill/Fort Washington area. Greenbelt is about to have a lot of development around their Metro stations, you combined that with good schools and relatively safe town and you will probably see a boom once they finish with that new development.

As far as Oxon Hill and Fort Washington, they just keep adding new things. We're about to get a new outlet mall, a Walmart (they are already clearing the land for the street that it will be on), National Harbor is also building manor houses and possibly a Disney resort Hotel, a Children's museum and there is already a 3D movie theater that opened in Rivertowne. They are definitely trying to make Oxon Hill/National Harbor the big thing here. It's dirt cheap to live in Oxon Hill and Fort Washington outside the National Harbor, but once the housing market picks up and the National Harbor continues to develop, that will change.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Thank you guys for all your responses. What do you think of Odenten and Burtonsville? Neither is very big, but there are very nice pockets out there. For example, Piney Orchard in Odenten and McKnew Rd in Burtonsville? Well, these places are probably already on the pricey end and they are in Montgomery and Anne Arundel county. But the property tax is really lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland