Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 AM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times

Advertisements

In your opinion(s), what is the best public high school in prince georges county and why?

Seems like the further north you go in prince georges, the better the schools tend to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 PM

45,384 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Laurel, Bowie and Douglass are the three that are usually considered the best non-magnet/non-special program schools although Laurel and Bowie both have the IB program and Douglass is working towards it.

Note that I did not mention Roosevelt, Flowers or Oxon Hill. That's because all three skim off the best students in the County for their Science and Tech programs. Eliminate those and all three would drop to the middle of the pack or lower. Those programs are not open to all, the prospective student has to test into the program.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 PM

281 posts, read 811,703 times
NBP - is there data to back that up somewhere regarding Roosevelt? I'm curious about that. I looked at several schools and things like test scores but also college rates, graduation rates, percentage that passed the MVA tests and all that - broken down by several factors. Roosevelt looked to me to score high across the board -- though they do not separate out the science and tech students that I can see...but still had really good numbers. I'd be curious (truly - not being snarky or anything ) to know where the data is that separates the science and tech group out and how, after that, ER ends up in the middle? And would this include AP? ER has a very high AP passage rate as well (and AP is not limited to the Science and Tech kids only).

Last edited by JosephineBeth; 10-04-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBeth View Post
NBP - is there data to back that up somewhere regarding Roosevelt? I'm curious about that. I looked at several schools and things like test scores but also college rates, graduation rates, percentage that passed the MVA tests and all that - broken down by several factors. Roosevelt looked to me to score high across the board -- though they do not separate out the science and tech students that I can see...but still had really good numbers. I'd be curious (truly - not being snarky or anything ) to know where the data is that separates the group out and how they end up in the middle?

You take out the best kids and send them back to their home schools. That leaves you with a Roosevelt that reflects the general area. That's where you'll get the drop. Sending the several hundred high performing S&T kids back to their home schools and those scores there go up.

Neither Roosevelt nor PGCPS breaks out the scores of S&T and non-S&T kids but using logic the above is the conclusion you arrive at.

As a note, AYP numbers were announced on Friday. Roosevelt did not make AYP last year.

They try to hide it but ER is really two schools in one: a community high school reflecting the attendance area overlayed with a high performing magnet that brings up the overall numbers.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Laurel, Bowie and Douglass are the three that are usually considered the best non-magnet/non-special program schools although Laurel and Bowie both have the IB program and Douglass is working towards it.

Note that I did not mention Roosevelt, Flowers or Oxon Hill. That's because all three skim off the best students in the County for their Science and Tech programs. Eliminate those and all three would drop to the middle of the pack or lower. Those programs are not open to all, the prospective student has to test into the program.
Huh? Non-magnet school? Has something changed? I graduated from gwynn park high school in the ........ Magnet program. Was under the impression that most school had some type of specialty magnet program. We had students coming as far as Suitland and District Heights to GP. Not sure what you're talking about.

Here check this out:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princ...Public_Schools
The list of high schools list the magnet programs at the schools.

Last edited by justtitans; 10-04-2011 at 08:56 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Huh? Non-magnet school? Has something changed? I graduated from gwynn park high school in the ........ Magnet program. Was under the impression that most school had some type of specialty magnet program. We had students coming as far as Suitland and District Heights to GP. Not sure what you're talking about.

Here check this out:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_George's_County_Public_Schools
that's what i was under the impression. most high schools have a speciality magnet; i.e. language, math and science, health care, business, etc.

regarding greenbelt and ER, i've heard that the kids who don't really test well get shuttled off to Duvall.

from what i've heard from my friends who live in pg, the best high schools are (in no particular order) laurel, bowie, and eleanor roosevelt. quite interesting given there rather close proximity to one another.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post

Here check this out:
Prince George's County Public Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yo! when did you graduate, there was just a 15 year reuninion (C/O 96) a few weeks ago-

Old 10-05-2011, 11:36 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,950 times
Roosevelt only accepts 250 science and tech students each year. Based on the overall student body of Roosevelt, I don't think those 250 students (900 total for all classes) can skew the test scores that much.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Roosevelt only accepts 250 science and tech students each year. Based on the overall student body of Roosevelt, I don't think those 250 students (900 total for all classes) can skew the test scores that much.

1/3 give or take of the student body.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
that's what i was under the impression. most high schools have a speciality magnet; i.e. language, math and science, health care, business, etc.

regarding greenbelt and ER, i've heard that the kids who don't really test well get shuttled off to Duvall.

from what i've heard from my friends who live in pg, the best high schools are (in no particular order) laurel, bowie, and eleanor roosevelt. quite interesting given there rather close proximity to one another.

If you go by the PGCPS website you'll see that most high schools have a program or is in the process of developing one.

The reality on the ground is that you have the flagship programs at Roosevelt, Flowers and Oxon Hill while the rest are either withering or are behind scheduled implementation.

The Tech programs have been languishing for years, most kids, hell most Counselors, don't even know about them and with the College For All emphasis they're rarely mentioned.

Add to the mix the fact that building Principals are getting control of their building funds and staffing decisions over the next couple years (look for Student Based Budgeting) and let's see how some of those expensive prrograms in the comprehensive high schools fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland