Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM

434 posts, read 1,118,581 times

Advertisements

This has been touched on here on there in this forum, but I thought I'd bring it up again.

If you live near Route 1 or ever have occasion to drive on Route 1, you may be interested in a development being planned for the wooded area on Route 1 in Riverdale Park (just north of Riverdale Park, south of Calvert Hills, and across from University Park).

It's currently zoned residential, single family homes and would fit about 140-173 homes on the site.

A developer wants to change the zoning to "Mixed Use" and build 985 apartments and put in 180,000 square feet of retail. Staff for the planning board estimate that it would increase traffic on Route 1 by 17,000 car trips DAILY. Yikes !

Hundreds of area residents are opposed to this change in zoning and the planned development, but we're the underdogs and it's hard to work against these developers.

For more information or to learn how to take action to stop this development, post a question here, visit StopCafritz.org or the facebook page Right County, Wrong Location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
It seems like a good idea to me. Land use is better served with higher density, than single family homes everywhere, that just push people much further outwards to drive even more.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
This story is being played out all across the country, or was until real estate collapsed. Local residents want to zone out high density but developers believe it could support higher uses. Often the local government agrees as it could bring in more tax dollars.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,120 times
I think it's a good idea as well. The Metro is right down the street. If anything the traffic could get better.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Looks like good development but in the wrong spot to me. YMMV, of course.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 PM

70 posts, read 198,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I think it's a good idea as well. The Metro is right down the street. If anything the traffic could get better.
How could?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM

638 posts, read 929,966 times
This is a great spot for this sort of development. Prince Georges county has attempted (with minimal success) for many years to create urban nodes across the county. In my honest opinion the opposition that I have witnessed to this development has been akin to what occurs further up route one in College Park. Long time residents putting a brake on change within their communities. I think the residents should look at this development in terms of the positives that it will bring to the community. How is this development any different from the Arts District going up in Hyattsville? Change occurs (and must occur if one does not hope for stagnation). This development will bring upscale apartment housing, offices, and a Whole Foods (with a few other smatterings of retail). A Whole Foods is definitely a boost when it comes to selling one’s home (especially when it is within walking distance). Many neighborhoods would kill to get a Whole Foods, while the residents of this community grumble. Additionally consider where the nearest current grocery providers are. You either must drive up route one to Shoppers (next to the beltway) or west to Giant (Hyattsville). Both routes depending on the time of day will take you some time. The section of route one where this development will be built is currently traffic light free. Additionally traffic moves at a great clip through this section. I highly doubt that the traffic volume to this new facility will be as detrimental to this section of route one as some would have you believe. Additionally one must also consider the fact that this development will create a new crossing over the csx tracks (a great positive for this area) as few crossings exist. And my final argument is that this is route one after all. This is a heavily traveled north south route and will remain so outside of the construction of a parallel route.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:15 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Shouldn't they be developing around Metro stations? Both nearby stations are too far away. Build this near College Park station and I'm for it. I'd accept it if it was further north on Rt. 1, but where they want to put it now, I just think it's the wrong place.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:04 PM

638 posts, read 929,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Shouldn't they be developing around Metro stations? Both nearby stations are too far away. Build this near College Park station and I'm for it. I'd accept it if it was further north on Rt. 1, but where they want to put it now, I just think it's the wrong place.

It's not as far as you would think form the metro. At most this development is a good 8 to 9 blocks form the CP metro. Additionally this site is far closer to a metro than the Arts District in Hyattsville.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 AM

15 posts, read 22,265 times
My husband and I are looking diligently to buy a house in the College Park/University Park area (we currently live in Virginia, inside the beltway, where it's ridiculously expensive). This proposed Whole Foods development would be a fantastic amenity for the area and give us one more reason to keep looking in the area (we're also looking in SS and TP). I just hope the developers and the community can work things out and that it gets built. People who complain about traffic need to get out of their cars and walk more or take the bus more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland