Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I remember when they were proposing a new high school off Fort Washington Rd. You would have thought that the world ended. Yet in still there are complaints that our school facilities are falling apart.
I remember in the early 2000's that the proposed High school was to be located right by the traffic circle at the corner of Swan Creek and Fort Wash. Roads (instead, someone built a giant new house there). I guess Tantallon residents felt the potential school traffic would overtax the 2-lane roads there and not fit in with the highbrow ambience of residential Tantallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:30 AM

429 posts, read 1,162,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
You guys have no vision, and no aesthetic understanding, obviously. A barn-esque police station would be... ADORABLE! And, since police cars are already black and white, maybe they could paint those in a dairy-cow pattern, and they should have a resident rooster to get them all awake and fresh in the mornings (an organic alternative to coffee!), and have a little petting zoo in the back for the kiddies of the criminals they catch.
Zimar,
Please move to Fort Washington. We need people like you.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I remember in the early 2000's that the proposed High school was to be located right by the traffic circle at the corner of Swan Creek and Fort Wash. Roads (instead, someone built a giant new house there). I guess Tantallon residents felt the potential school traffic would overtax the 2-lane roads there and not fit in with the highbrow ambience of residential Tantallon.
There are far too many simple minded people living down here. This part of the county has desperately needed another high school. I think they probably should have considered Accokeek though.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
There are far too many simple minded people living down here. This part of the county has desperately needed another high school. I think they probably should have considered Accokeek though.
I wouldn't call them simple minded but there are ( or at least were) a lot of people that cared more about themselves than the benefits to the greater communities. From what I can recall, the majority of the nay-sayers were people with no children; adult children; or children in private schools with no interest in public education. I am not sure why they didn't look at Accokeek. I know that the proposed property was own by the Board of Education and that combined with the area need made it the best choice. The thing that irritated me about the whole situation was as much complaining that occurs, why are so many efforts shot down because of some minor justification (like wanting the police station to resemble a barn. Really?!!)

Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 PM

For those interested the hearing for the FW police station has been moved up to this Thursday 3/1/2013 at 10 am. The hearings are streamed live online at PG Planning Board's website. The staff recommendations and the detailed site plan are available to review online at DSP-01030-02 Police Station District VII - The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission .

Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 AM

All,

The PG Planning Board hearing for the Fort Washington area police station has just concluded and the project was approved with some modifications. Since it was previously approved in 2001 it does not have to go to the District Council and preconstruction work should begin with the next four weeks. Representatives of the historic board were there and they were pushing hard for the barn theme but that didn't play. The video should be available within the week on the Board's site. One thing that was mentioned was that this staiton would patrol the National Harbor through ground and air patrol.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
All,

The PG Planning Board hearing for the Fort Washington area police station has just concluded and the project was approved with some modifications. Since it was previously approved in 2001 it does not have to go to the District Council and preconstruction work should begin with the next four weeks. Representatives of the historic board were there and they were pushing hard for the barn theme but that didn't play. The video should be available within the week on the Board's site. One thing that was mentioned was that this staiton would patrol the National Harbor through ground and air patrol.
That's very interesting. I would have thought that the Oxon Hill district would cover it since it's closer.

By the way do you know anything about a planned subdivision off of 210 near where the Tanger Outlet Mall is supposed to be? I drive by it all the time on 210 and I saw that it has a Planning Board Hearing sign and says 'subdivision', but I don't know if it's related to Tanger or not.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
That's very interesting. I would have thought that the Oxon Hill district would cover it since it's closer.

By the way do you know anything about a planned subdivision off of 210 near where the Tanger Outlet Mall is supposed to be? I drive by it all the time on 210 and I saw that it has a Planning Board Hearing sign and says 'subdivision', but I don't know if it's related to Tanger or not.

I thought the same thing but they stated that it would fall within the oversight of the Fort Washington. My thought is that they would both have some responsibilities with FW being the primary.

As for the Tanger Outlet site. There will only be the outlet and the future proposed hotel. Based on the first hearing they wouldn't have room for anything else. In watching these hearings, I have come to see the term subdivision used generically when presenting the detailed site plan (DSP) for a project. That hearing is going to be interesting because it will add more substance/structure to to what was proposed during the concept phase. Then again I am a bit of a technology and economic development junkie so what I find interesting would be boring to other lol.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I thought the same thing but they stated that it would fall within the oversight of the Fort Washington. My thought is that they would both have some responsibilities with FW being the primary.

As for the Tanger Outlet site. There will only be the outlet and the future proposed hotel. Based on the first hearing they wouldn't have room for anything else. In watching these hearings, I have come to see the term subdivision used generically when presenting the detailed site plan (DSP) for a project. That hearing is going to be interesting because it will add more substance/structure to to what was proposed during the concept phase. Then again I am a bit of a technology and economic development junkie so what I find interesting would be boring to other lol.
Okay. Yeah I saw the word "subdivision" and the first thing I thought was, uh oh, they are about to build more stuff. That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Okay. Yeah I saw the word "subdivision" and the first thing I thought was, uh oh, they are about to build more stuff. That's good to know. Thanks for the info.
No problem but you are right. That language is confusing. I am sure that a lot of people are thinking the same thing when they see the sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland