Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 14,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I don't think that's realistic. If you want to get all of that and still have a reasonable commute, you will either rent cheap in a place like Cheverly with a somewhat questionable reputation, or rent high in a place like Alexandria or Arlington. Something has to give here. There isn't a combination of safety, commute, and lower expenses that is in this region. So the question is, what are you and your family willing to sacrifice? Also when you say small children, are they school age? Schools will become an issue too, especially when Prince George's County is in the equation.
That's more or less what I was trying to say, but I may not have expressed myself very well. I realize that we're going to get some of the things we want in any of the places discussed, but there's virtually no place where we'll get them all. Cheverly and Alexandria are the two places we're looking at most seriously right now and I realize we're going to have to choose between paying at the very top of our price range for the lower crime rate in Alexandria, or getting the lower cost but dealing with the crime rates in Cheverly. That's more or less why I was asking. The number alone make me think Cheverly is not a good idea due to safety concerns, but everything I hear from residents makes it sound like it's actually pretty safe. The discrepancy between the numbers and these reports is the main issue I was trying to get some insight on.

Schools are not a factor for us, since we'll either be out of the area by the time the kids get to school age (one just turned 2, one still in utero), or we'll homeschool. The reason Cheverly made it on the list is because of one specific property we're considering that meets all of our specifications in terms of features (garden, garage, etc). So we're weighing the cons on that one and trying to decide whether to go for it, or keep looking in Alexandria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingShoes View Post
That's more or less what I was trying to say, but I may not have expressed myself very well. I realize that we're going to get some of the things we want in any of the places discussed, but there's virtually no place where we'll get them all. Cheverly and Alexandria are the two places we're looking at most seriously right now and I realize we're going to have to choose between paying at the very top of our price range for the lower crime rate in Alexandria, or getting the lower cost but dealing with the crime rates in Cheverly. That's more or less why I was asking. The number alone make me think Cheverly is not a good idea due to safety concerns, but everything I hear from residents makes it sound like it's actually pretty safe. The discrepancy between the numbers and these reports is the main issue I was trying to get some insight on.

Schools are not a factor for us, since we'll either be out of the area by the time the kids get to school age (one just turned 2, one still in utero), or we'll homeschool. The reason Cheverly made it on the list is because of one specific property we're considering that meets all of our specifications in terms of features (garden, garage, etc). So we're weighing the cons on that one and trying to decide whether to go for it, or keep looking in Alexandria.
Is it possible for you come to the area and take a look around? I know when we were looking at properties online, we'd stumble across a house we really liked, and then when we went to see it (not tour it) we discovered things about the surroundings that were a turn off to us (ie. too close to the neighboring house, high school stadiums across the street, too much diversity for our taste, etc.). None of which we could tell from the pictures of the house we liked.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the house you like or Cheverly, but I think a for a big move its worth checking out what you're getting into before making a decision.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,357 times
Not saying anyone is particularly dissuading the OP but...I've always wondered on these forums if all the people who were turned away from PG County because of its "issues" were actually encouraged to stay, would PG County now be a very different place?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:28 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Not saying anyone is particularly dissuading the OP but...I've always wondered on these forums if all the people who were turned away from PG County because of its "issues" were actually encouraged to stay, would PG County now be a very different place?
Minorities don't particularly care for gentrification the best I can tell. Developers are slobbering at the notion of leveling entire neighborhoods and communities to get rid of the blight and to take advantage of that pearl of a location that PG offers. I'm positive the result would be WhitePeopleVille (no problem for me) if that were to ever happen. Just sayin.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Minorities don't particularly care for gentrification the best I can tell. Developers are slobbering at the notion of leveling entire neighborhoods and communities to get rid of the blight and to take advantage of that pearl of a location that PG offers. I'm positive the result would be WhitePeopleVille (no problem for me) if that were to ever happen. Just sayin.
Okay, I read what you said before about diversity and I kind of scratch my head, but now I'm certain that you are just stereotyping and generalizing the entire county. There are a lot of minorities that want to see these areas gentrify which is why places like National Harbor and the EYA Arts District have become popular. The problem that you have has nothing to do with race, it's a matter of class. There are a lot of minorities in this county that have tons of money that would be okay with developing these places, but of course you will have your exceptions. The biggest problem is PG really doesn't have an identity. The National Harbor was probably the first step into establishing a real identity. People are not going to support you building places without thinking it out.

Right now there is a debate going on about the outlet mall that is supposed to be built at the National Harbor. People want the development, but it's the location that is the issue. To people on the outside looking in, it looks as if there are people who don't want development. That's not it. It's a matter of these ideas not being well thought out. In some ways, some of these developers are trying to pimp these residents without working with the community to do what works best for both sides.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:25 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingShoes View Post

Congratulations on the new little one. In my opinion, I think you can accomplish most of your goals, but you may need to open up your options. Cheverly may have a nice nook as adelphi_sky says, but you also have to consider what is around it. I don't want to be negative, but the surrounding around is not very nice, especially for a young family. There aren't tons of nice parks for your family, you will have to drive a little bit out of your way for decent shopping, and depending on where your husband works, the commute still may not be the greatest. If you are looking to save money you just have to think about how much you maybe sacrificing to do so. There are places like Upper Marlboro, for example that are very nice, safer, more family friendly and still not to far from DC. I'm not saying that you shouldn't consider Cheverly because there are some nice things about it, but you are sacrificing somethings in order to do move there. It's just a matter of if you think it's worth it.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:18 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,117 times
The 3 big C's in real estate here are: Cost, Commute, and Crime. Pick those variables you feel comfortable with and compromise on the rest. I will be lucky if I can find a house in the DC metro that meets 2 of those 3 variables for me, not taking into consideration any other features.

In my opinion there are some folks on these forums who probably have an agenda. I don't understand it totally. Maybe they love their neighborhood quite a bit and want to see the area stay the same or improve? Or they "have" to love their neighborhood because it's the best place they can afford to live in the area? And they just turn a blind eye and pretend not to notice the crime so it won't bother them? I'm just guessing; I have no idea. I've been trying to figure it out myself...

I think you have to make the decision that is right for you.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,145 times
Not only should you worry about crime, but even more importantly, you should worry about whether you feel safe, regardless of crime stats. Even if you are in a nice area, if you are worried about being victimized by what surrounds you, your experience will be spoiled, in my opinion. I think that can be applied to any area or any neighborhood.

I knew a couple of single women who live in Cheverly and have not complained about problems with crime, last I heard. The houses are mostly attractive and I have heard that neighbors look out for each other. The issue for me wouldn't be Cheverly itself but its proximity to other areas that are rough. Heck, even rough areas have nice pockets, but those residents still have to put up with the higher risk of crime, because of its proximity.

I admit I prefer areas such as Bowie and Upper Marlboro (although I also like University Park, parts of College Park, and Berwyn Heights). There's also much of Greenbelt, parts of Beltsville, parts of Laurel. Expanding your options helps to create a balance of everything you are seeking. I would expand my search beyond just Cheverly and Alexandria, just to make sure you are looking at all possibilities. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 AM

64 posts, read 59,437 times
True the surrounding areas are rough, but the acutal town boundaries of Cheverly are pretty safe. I mean the area with the single family homes bounded by Route 202/Landover Road, Route 50 and the BW Parkway. Very beautiful town. It never seems to change. Cheverly has its own police department, trash pick up, snow removal etc. Depending on where you are in the town you could walk to the Cheverly metro station as well. If not just walk to Cheverly Avenue and take the bus there. It is so close to the city. Very good neighborhood, you will be fine.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVmyman View Post
True the surrounding areas are rough, but the acutal town boundaries of Cheverly are pretty safe. I mean the area with the single family homes bounded by Route 202/Landover Road, Route 50 and the BW Parkway. Very beautiful town. It never seems to change. Cheverly has its own police department, trash pick up, snow removal etc. Depending on where you are in the town you could walk to the Cheverly metro station as well. If not just walk to Cheverly Avenue and take the bus there. It is so close to the city. Very good neighborhood, you will be fine.
I think folks are getting confused with the incorporated Cheverly (the nice part) with the larger postal area of Cheverly (the hood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland