Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,942,468 times

Advertisements

O'Malley reminds me of Joe Biden, kind of a dunce prone to verbal gaffes. I think he will run in 2016 but I don't know who will get the nomination. Andrew Cuomo will likely be the centrist establishment candidate and a liberal will probably end up his main opposition. I'm not sure who that is, could be O'Malley but is most likely someone not on the national radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 AM

544 posts, read 1,048,393 times
If a more moderate democrat wins the nomination, O'Malley might get a VP slot to appease the liberal core (the same way that Palin was selected to run with Mccain). Given that he can't even control the party in his own state, I can't see him being a serious contender for the national nomination.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,148,098 times
Not a chance in hell after the devastation left behind in the wake of Barack Obama. No matter who wins in 2012, O'Malley will NOT be President in 2016. It will either be a second term for the GOP, or a first term for the GOP. Democrat in 2016.....no way, no how.

Feel free to mark my words.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,824,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not a chance in hell after the devastation left behind in the wake of Barack Obama. No matter who wins in 2012, O'Malley will NOT be President in 2016. It will either be a second term for the GOP, or a first term for the GOP. Democrat in 2016.....no way, no how.

Feel free to mark my words.
Wait, let me get this straight... so you're saying Barack Obama has been such a devastatingly bad president, but he still might get a second term despite this (I'm glad you are a little realistic), but then after THAT, Americans will finally look out their windows and see the apocalyptic war zone Obama has created, not the trees and sunshine they're imagining now, and will FINALLY wake up and say "No! No more Democrats!" Got it.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:12 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,901 times
Eh that's kinda what happened with Bush. He didn't seem that bad in 2004 but by 2008 almost everyone wanted him out.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Wait, let me get this straight... so you're saying Barack Obama has been such a devastatingly bad president, but he still might get a second term despite this (I'm glad you are a little realistic), but then after THAT, Americans will finally look out their windows and see the apocalyptic war zone Obama has created, not the trees and sunshine they're imagining now, and will FINALLY wake up and say "No! No more Democrats!" Got it.
Yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. Obama's re-election is not inevitable nor is he a guaranteed one termer. As I said before, either way, there will NOT be a Democrat in 2016. You can ignore the political realities that surround an incumbent if you want, it matters not to me.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. Obama's re-election is not inevitable nor is he a guaranteed one termer. As I said before, either way, there will NOT be a Democrat in 2016. You can ignore the political realities that surround an incumbent if you want, it matters not to me.
Do you see where you are not making sense? You are quite reasonably saying that you don't know whether Obama will win or not in 2012, because you can't know the future, but you DO know the future when it comes to 2016, and it ABSOLUTELY will not be a Democrat (even if Obama loses?), because you KNOW that, but you give no reason. What gives?

And I find the existential angst about Obama really disturbing. Once a guy told me that he spent 2 hours on the phone with the cable company, and it's all Obama's fault, because Obama is destroying America. I am not making this up. If you think the Democrats cannot win in 2016, that's fine, but you could give us a reason, and one that is grounded in reality. From where I stand, the country seems oh-so-slightly better than when Obama took office.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Do you see where you are not making sense? You are quite reasonably saying that you don't know whether Obama will win or not in 2012, because you can't know the future, but you DO know the future when it comes to 2016, and it ABSOLUTELY will not be a Democrat (even if Obama loses?), because you KNOW that, but you give no reason. What gives?

And I find the existential angst about Obama really disturbing. Once a guy told me that he spent 2 hours on the phone with the cable company, and it's all Obama's fault, because Obama is destroying America. I am not making this up. If you think the Democrats cannot win in 2016, that's fine, but you could give us a reason, and one that is grounded in reality. From where I stand, the country seems oh-so-slightly better than when Obama took office.
No, what you find disturbing is that someone (me) doesn't worship Barack Obama as much as you and your Maryland cohorts do. What you find disturbing is that what I say makes too much sense. So you engage in obfuscation, which is very typical of the liberal mindset. Ask me if i'm surprised.

If you'd take a moment to look at Presidential politics of the past 100 years, you'd see that the pendulum swings against incumbent parties after 8 years in office. In Barack Obama's case, it could swing the other direction after 4 years ala Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush. His re-election is far from guaranteed, contrary to your obvious contention.

There will not be a Democrat in 2016. As I said before, feel free to mark my words, bookmark this thread, or do whatever it is you think is necessary if you think that i'm wrong.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
No, what you find disturbing is that someone (me) doesn't worship Barack Obama as much as you and your Maryland cohorts do. What you find disturbing is that what I say makes too much sense. So you engage in obfuscation, which is very typical of the liberal mindset. Ask me if i'm surprised.

If you'd take a moment to look at Presidential politics of the past 100 years, you'd see that the pendulum swings against incumbent parties after 8 years in office. In Barack Obama's case, it could swing the other direction after 4 years ala Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush. His re-election is far from guaranteed, contrary to your obvious contention.

There will not be a Democrat in 2016. As I said before, feel free to mark my words, bookmark this thread, or do whatever it is you think is necessary if you think that i'm wrong.
1. Your point is wrong. George H.W. Bush, a Republican, was elected after Reagan, another Republican, served two terms. And Truman, a Democrat, was elected for two terms after F.D.R., another Democrat, served three terms. It takes about 30 seconds on Wikipedia to figure this out. Both of these examples are within the last 100 years.

2. Even if you were correct, correlation does not imply causation. Even if the incumbent's party was kicked out of office after two terms in every single election since America began, that would not serve as some sort of guarantee that it would happen again. Every circumstance is different, and we have elections for a reason. We have a choice in this country, and nothing is a guarantee. No other president other than F.D.R. was re-elected with an economy as bad as the one Obama is overseeing, and yet here we are, accepting that his re-election is a very real possibility, mostly because the Republicans have fielded absurdly bad candidates.

3. I don't understand why you went into attack mode. I don't think I attacked you, but if I did, that was not my intention and I'm sorry. But since when has voting for someone mean you worship him? I voted for Obama, and I like Obama, and I don't see any reason to be ashamed of that. He's the President, for Pete's sake! These types of accusations didn't occur when people said they liked Bush or Clinton, and I think they reflect a really sad level of hatred and a fundamental disrespect for Obama. That doesn't mean that I am ultra-liberal, or that I approve of everything he has done. I am unhappy with a lot of Obama's decisions, and I think that the Republicans are doing a ****-poor job of being the loyal opposition and keeping him in check when it comes to crucial matters. You calling me an "Obama-worshipper" is a lame attempt to attack me as a person and to dismiss me as weak-minded. You don't know me, you don't know how liberal or conservative I am, and I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't speak to someone that way to their face.

4. I don't think you know what "obfuscation" actually means.

5. This thread is about O'Malley, and how people feel he is doing in Maryland, and whether he has a chance at winning the Presidency someday based on his performance here. Can we go back to that now? Despite being "liberal" (and I only think that I am considered a liberal because politics have shifted soooo far to the right), I think that the taxes in Maryland have gone overboard, and I don't know if we're getting what we're paying for here. But I don't follow MD politics that closely.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,095,150 times
Obama and O'Malley
Double O Zeroes
License to kill jobs!

There, I segued back to the original thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland