Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times

Advertisements

You know you may not be doing a great job when you get upstaged by a college freshman.

College students topple front-runners in Pr. George’s school races - The Washington Post

...........................but it the kids have a strong platform, I would vote for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
You know you may not be doing a great job when you get upstaged by a college freshman.

College students topple front-runners in Pr. George’s school races - The Washington Post

...........................but it the kids have a strong platform, I would vote for them.
Well I can't speak for the others, but Burroughs was the incumbent and he has been pretty good in my opinion. I remember when he initially ran, how his opponent, Steven Morris talked down to him and basically said "He is a child, and I'm a professional". I believe he has shown he is more than capable. What confused me is why people think that someone older is any better. There was a lady running against him who took her kids out of public schools and has absolutely no connection to the education system other having kids. To me those are the kind of people who have no business holding office on the school board. I mean who in their right mind is going vote for someone like that?

At least these young people have a greater understanding of the issues that are going on in schools. Having balance of young and old, I believe will make the school board more effective as opposed to people who have no clue what it's like to be in the schools on a day-to-day basis.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Burroughs was censured by the School Board (the censure was upheld by MSDE) for visiting a school without the permission of the Superintendant.

State board upholds censure of Prince George’s school board member - The Washington Post

I wonder if the winners were those candidates Hite met with to explain what their job as a School Board member would be:

Questions swirl around meeting with Prince George’s school board candidates - Maryland Schools Insider - The Washington Post

Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Burroughs was censured by the School Board (the censure was upheld by MSDE) for visiting a school without the permission of the Superintendant.

State board upholds censure of Prince George’s school board member - The Washington Post
Sounds like he has a lot of zeal, but hasn't quite grasp the maturity to deal with this matter. I do understand where he is coming from though. There is a great deal of complacency in this county when it comes to dealing with matters like this within the schools (I'm sure you can relate) and perhaps he felt the need to step in to do something, but he did over step his bounds. I do wonder if he was older, if he would have gotten the same reaction though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I wonder if the winners were those candidates Hite met with to explain what their job as a School Board member would be:

Questions swirl around meeting with Prince George’s school board candidates - Maryland Schools Insider - The Washington Post
That seems very unethical. I did not see this one. This is the reason why I get frustrated with this school system and the way it's ran. Why is there no one checking Hite on this? No way should this be allowed. Seems like this could reek of collusion without fulling knowing the intent and the product of that meeting.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Sounds like he has a lot of zeal, but hasn't quite grasp the maturity to deal with this matter. I do understand where he is coming from though. There is a great deal of complacency in this county when it comes to dealing with matters like this within the schools (I'm sure you can relate) and perhaps he felt the need to step in to do something, but he did over step his bounds. I do wonder if he was older, if he would have gotten the same reaction though.

I agree but considering the apathetic nature of our board members and leadership in general, I prefer "the act and ask for forgiveness later" approach of this situation. If nothing else it may put school leadership on their toes to address certain issues as they arise with more vigor. I don't think he would have gotten the same response if he was older unless things really hit the fan. It would have been glazed over like so many things.

That seems very unethical. I did not see this one. This is the reason why I get frustrated with this school system and the way it's ran. Why is there no one checking Hite on this? No way should this be allowed. Seems like this could reek of collusion without fulling knowing the intent and the product of that meeting.
Four words.............."good ole-boy network". That gives a lot of them the ability to do dumb, unproductive things that are essentially self-serving.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 AM

By the way did anyone see the piece that CNN ran on the three young candidates yesterday? It was short but cool to see that this element garnered national media coverage.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
By the way did anyone see the piece that CNN ran on the three young candidates yesterday? It was short but cool to see that this element garnered national media coverage.
Here it goes

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

It's interesting because Zabrina Epps was talking about having experience and understanding but then she says things like this:

Laurel: Zabrina Epps wants students prepared for college - baltimoresun.com

Quote:
"In regards to English language learners, we need to help fast-track the acquisition of language skills," Epps said. "All young people are bright, and we want to make sure the curriculum honors where they are and takes them where they need to be."
Isn't that going to cost $$$$? Like lots of it? We can't even consistently educate English speaking students, but we think that pouring in even more resources to ESOL students is going to be realistic?

I will say though, that Nottingham has a pretty impressive resume. It's going to be an interesting race between him and Burroughs.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Four words.............."good ole-boy network". That gives a lot of them the ability to do dumb, unproductive things that are essentially self-serving.
I agree 100% with that. And I think that is one of the reasons why people went to Burroughs as opposed to Johnson. Perhaps they know he isn't part of the establishment and also how many adults would be okay with a 20 year old telling you how to do their job?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I don't have a problem with what Burroughs did. If he overstepped his bounds, then the appropriates parties need to get up off their arses and do something. I think that because he took action, when the BOE member from that district did not, he embarrassed Hite and the Board. Everyone else was ignoring the problem, essentially. Too busy hyperfocusing on protocol, ignoring concerns and doing nothing.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I don't have a problem with what Burroughs did. If he overstepped his bounds, then the appropriates parties need to get up off their arses and do something. I think that because he took action, when the BOE member from that district did not, he embarrassed Hite and the Board. Everyone else was ignoring the problem, essentially. Too busy hyperfocusing on protocol, ignoring concerns and doing nothing.
I agree, but unfortunately that is the loop hole they will use in case he does something like this and keep him in his place. I commend him for doing this, but it's the consequences that really made it difficult, in which it ultimately hurt his reputation. I personally would have gone the route of giving them an ultimatum. Either you address this problem or I will. That may not have gone over well, but at least if nothing is done, then he has made his intentions known.

This type of mentality is what is wrong with this school system and why I believe more and more that Hite is not the answer. Somebody needs to light a fire under their behinds. If these people truly felt as though they were being held accountable, this would have never happened. This is why I'm more than supportive of these three young people. They realize what is wrong with the system because they have experienced it. Some of these other jokers are clueless because they have either been too far removed from the school system or they simply do not care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland