Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:14 PM

9 posts, read 13,468 times

Advertisements

Regarding the WaPo story--I was happy to finally see something positive about buying in PG county.

But I have a general complaint: It is extremely odd to me that media here publish all the worst situations in the county, but seem to turn a blind eye to same ills in neighboring areas. For example, last week the Post talked about the lack of homes under $500k in "desirable communities". However, the couple profiled was looking at a home in an area of Petworth DC that was a block away from section 8 housing (per the article). The article specifically mentioned Montgomery and Fairfax counties, so the evaluation of housing stock included locales outside of the District. I constantly hear that families will not move to PG county because of crime and schools. If we take this is at face value, then why is there no similar steering away from the District? Something does not add up to me with this explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaesq View Post
Regarding the WaPo story--I was happy to finally see something positive about buying in PG county.

But I have a general complaint: It is extremely odd to me that media here publish all the worst situations in the county, but seem to turn a blind eye to same ills in neighboring areas. For example, last week the Post talked about the lack of homes under $500k in "desirable communities". However, the couple profiled was looking at a home in an area of Petworth DC that was a block away from section 8 housing (per the article). The article specifically mentioned Montgomery and Fairfax counties, so the evaluation of housing stock included locales outside of the District. I constantly hear that families will not move to PG county because of crime and schools. If we take this is at face value, then why is there no similar steering away from the District? Something does not add up to me with this explanation.
The District is continuing its gentrification that took off under Williams' administration. So the District is the "place to be," for convenience, proximity to nightlife, vibrant city living, what have you. I see this transformation in some parts of Baltimore, but at a slower pace. Petworth is one of the newer areas undergoing gentrification, and buyers figure that the Section 8 folks will be controlled in the name of gentrification or eventually pushed out. Meanwhile, the impoversished were pushed out to PG, further bringing down the county's reputation. While PG has its share of problems, the media appears to have assigned roles to the District and each of the counties. PG has been assigned the "undesirable" role, although many don't see it that way. Before the influx of the black middle class, PG had the same role but for other reasons besides race (for instance, it was deemed to be the "bar brawler" county).

Old 05-23-2012, 03:04 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:

I think that's a legit point, but it's always going to be challenging to compare PG to DC regardless. They may perceive that people would be more willing to put up with certain things in DC because of the proximity to employment, gentrification and amenities available. PG County unfortunately doesn't have a lot of those same things, even in the nicer parts, but that's always going to be the case when you are comparing a suburban area to a city like DC.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:

The amenities of DC may offset the schools and crime. Also as the population changes the schools will improve. So maybe folks are banking on that.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
The District is continuing its gentrification that took off under Williams' administration. So the District is the "place to be," for convenience, proximity to nightlife, vibrant city living, what have you. I see this transformation in some parts of Baltimore, but at a slower pace. Petworth is one of the newer areas undergoing gentrification, and buyers figure that the Section 8 folks will be controlled in the name of gentrification or eventually pushed out. Meanwhile, the impoversished were pushed out to PG, further bringing down the county's reputation. While PG has its share of problems, the media appears to have assigned roles to the District and each of the counties. PG has been assigned the "undesirable" role, although many don't see it that way. Before the influx of the black middle class, PG had the same role but for other reasons besides race (for instance, it was deemed to be the "bar brawler" county).
Is what the media reporting true or not? I don't buy this argument you and others are making. The Post can't just manufacture positive news if the news isn't there. If the reality of PG is that it's high on crime and the schools are poor than that's what they will report.

PG's crime now rivals DC. For a period in '11 the murder rate was higher than DC's and I believe Baltimore's.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Is what the media reporting true or not? I don't buy this argument you and others are making. The Post can't just manufacture positive news if the news isn't there. If the reality of PG is that it's high on crime and the schools are poor than that's what they will report.

PG's crime now rivals DC. For a period in '11 the murder rate was higher than DC's and I believe Baltimore's.
First, it depends on how the "truth" is presented. Is the news about PG skewed or biased based on an emphasis of the negative, while crime or educational problems are under-reported in other counties? To a certain extent, yes. People can present information in a certain way that is subjective.

Second, aren't you the one who hates the Post for its liberal bent but feel comfortable attesting to its presentation of the "truth" when it is convenient? Are there not enough facts in the Washington Times for you?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, the impoversished were pushed out to PG, further bringing down the county's reputation.
Don't forget Prince William and even Montgomery counties. These counties are also experiencing an influx of D.C. residents looking for cheaper housing.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
First, it depends on how the "truth" is presented. Is the news about PG skewed or biased based on an emphasis of the negative, while crime or educational problems are under-reported in other counties? To a certain extent, yes. People can present information in a certain way that is subjective.

Second, aren't you the one who hates the Post for its liberal bent but feel comfortable attesting to its presentation of the "truth" when it is convenient? Are there not enough facts in the Washington Times for you?
I read a wide range of news. The Washington Post, even with its liberal bent, is a superior paper to the Washington Times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland