Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to start a family
Burke - Fairfax County West of I-95 3 23.08%
Alexandria - Fairfax County East of I-95 5 38.46%
Woodbridge - PW County 1 7.69%
Clinton area - PG County 3 23.08%
Waldorf - North Charles County 3 23.08%
La Plata - Other Areas of Charles County 3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 PM

15 posts, read 30,741 times

Advertisements

Blue Plains - I think it is just inside the DC limits - I would be working at the DC Water facilities there off of I-295. Or the springfield option would be for Washington Gas on Industrial Road just inside the beltway and I-395.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Jmking,

Depends on what you mean by worse out that way? I've grown up in the area as well... some in NOVA, SMD, Annapolis, etc.

I personally enjoy White Plains and La Plata over Waldorf which I spent a lot of time in, and the schools in La Plata are better than those in Waldorf. The neighborhood we live in, in White Plains we really enjoy. Definitely have good opportunities for "bang for your buck" in certain areas over here.... but what specifically are you looking for as far as "getting worse"?
I have family that live in White Plains. I like it there and La Plata. However I work in Alexandria, don't want to commute too far. What I mean as worse is if bad elements (punks with a bad attitude, looking for trouble) spilling over from Waldorf into White Plains.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I have family that live in White Plains. I like it there and La Plata. However I work in Alexandria, don't want to commute too far. What I mean as worse is if bad elements (punks with a bad attitude, looking for trouble) spilling over from Waldorf into White Plains.
Not quite....yet at least. Punks seem to be staying away so far. But I wouldn't be surprised if Waldorf starts bursting at the seems soon.

However - I know a bunch of people that do the bus thing from La Plata, and White Plains, and they enjoy being able to take care of stuff on the rides rather than driving themselves and sitting in traffic.

I however, am hoping to move (as I mentioned) out of the DMV area altogether - before my husband and I start a family.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Not quite....yet at least. Punks seem to be staying away so far. But I wouldn't be surprised if Waldorf starts bursting at the seems soon.

However - I know a bunch of people that do the bus thing from La Plata, and White Plains, and they enjoy being able to take care of stuff on the rides rather than driving themselves and sitting in traffic.

I however, am hoping to move (as I mentioned) out of the DMV area altogether - before my husband and I start a family.
My starting family days are over. Been married for 30 years....at least.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:01 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:

If you don't mind me asking, why you are considering moving out of the area? I got the impressions from your post that you really like Charles County.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
My starting family days are over. Been married for 30 years....at least.

Congrats!!! We'll get there one day... but until then.. yes we need to find a better overall location for us. I really do enjoy La Plata and White Plains though - we'd probably stay if we didn't have schools and stuff to worry about. And of course... COL, and Marylands taxes are really getting insane... I don't think our State government is doing... a good job, to put it nicely. haha

The husband is in a profession that doesn't get paid what they are worth...... WHEREVER they go. So we might as well get paid crappy in a place with lower COL haha.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why you are considering moving out of the area? I got the impressions from your post that you really like Charles County.

PGTitans... as you might see in the post I just made above - schools and COL as well as other things.

I've grown up in Charles County, however it has changed tremendously since I was a kid, (which really wasn't that long ago).
Also... when you grow up in an area - sometimes you just want to try something new :-)
I was in Annapolis for a few years before I got married and moved back here last year because of my Husbands job.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
PGTitans... as you might see in the post I just made above - schools and COL as well as other things.

I've grown up in Charles County, however it has changed tremendously since I was a kid, (which really wasn't that long ago).
Also... when you grow up in an area - sometimes you just want to try something new :-)
I was in Annapolis for a few years before I got married and moved back here last year because of my Husbands job.
Oh I definitely understand. I grew up in Accokeek so I have seen the change in Charles County too. Definitely understand how you feel about having something new too. I honestly wanted to move out of this area myself but then I probably wouldn't have much of a chance at a job.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Oh I definitely understand. I grew up in Accokeek so I have seen the change in Charles County too. Definitely understand how you feel about having something new too. I honestly wanted to move out of this area myself but then I probably wouldn't have much of a chance at a job.
Very true for most cases! So we are lucky we might have opportunities elsewhere -

I'm in Sales and Marketing - primarily IT, so many cities have something around that, I have a couple of opportunities in Raleigh area.

Husband is a police officer - so of course there is crime everywhere... and they get paid crappy everywhere.... so as long as we don't have our roots go too deep here as a married couple, we might be taking some of these changes or opportunities come the fall. Of course I'll still be back here often to visit family and friends!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:48 PM

15 posts, read 30,741 times
I suppose I may have to adjust to the living arrangements available here. There are plenty of townhomes available even in fairfax county for a decent price. I am just used to single family with a yard and it seems to find that for under $500k you are going outside of fairfax county and commuting. How long would you estimate it would take to drive from Waldorf to dcwater in blue plains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland