Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times

Advertisements

Gazette.Net: Hospital experts advocate new center near Prince George’s transit stations

Quote:
Local urban development leaders and design experts are pushing for Prince George’s County and University of Maryland health care officials to consider areas surrounding the county’s 15 Metro stations for a proposed new regional health center.
Quote:
“The question is, ‘How can we best serve the residents of Prince George’s County?’” said Cort of the District. “We need to ensure the facility is accessible to as many people as possible, while being competitive, on the cutting edge of design and establishing linkages with other leading institutions.”

Hugh Campbell, principal of Portland-based ZGF Architects, who has designed hospitals around the country, said that while the popular trend in the late 20th century was to place hospitals on an isolated suburban campus, people now want hospitals to be embedded in the community.
Where do you all think it should go?

In my opinion, I think it would make sense to put it near the Largo Town Center metro station. For starters, there really isn't a hospital close so it would serve Largo, parts of Upper Marlboro, parts of Bowie, Landover, Cheverly, Capitol Heights, Mitchellville, and Lake Arbor. The closest hospitals to that area are Bowie Hospital and Doctor's Community, which both seem to be way too small to serve the surrounding communities. Not to mention that it's close to the highway, and has tons of land available. It makes a lot of sense to put this near a metro station and perhaps doing so can spur some commercial growth in whatever area it is located in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:17 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Gazette.Net: Hospital experts advocate new center near Prince George’s transit stations

Where do you all think it should go?

In my opinion, I think it would make sense to put it near the Largo Town Center metro station. For starters, there really isn't a hospital close so it would serve Largo, parts of Upper Marlboro, parts of Bowie, Landover, Cheverly, Capitol Heights, Mitchellville, and Lake Arbor. The closest hospitals to that area are Bowie Hospital and Doctor's Community, which both seem to be way too small to serve the surrounding communities. Not to mention that it's close to the highway, and has tons of land available. It makes a lot of sense to put this near a metro station and perhaps doing so can spur some commercial growth in whatever area it is located in.
I thought they were already considering mid-county? If that is still true, I thought they were always looking at Largo or New Carrollton. It would also be a teaching hospital as well which is nice. The only drawback about Largo is that those on the Green Line would have to go all the way into DC to get to the Blue Line. The Purple Line won't touch Largo for some time. The same goes if it was on the Green Line. People on the Orange and Blue would have to do the same.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I thought they were already considering mid-county? If that is still true, I thought they were always looking at Largo or New Carrollton. It would also be a teaching hospital as well which is nice. The only drawback about Largo is that those on the Green Line would have to go all the way into DC to get to the Blue Line. The Purple Line won't touch Largo for some time. The same goes if it was on the Green Line. People on the Orange and Blue would have to do the same.
Initially I thought I heard they were trying to have it in Landover Hills. I think New Carrollton wouldn't be bad either as long as they have the land to create it and they make it more accessible by road.

That's a good point about the blue line, I thought about that, I just can't take of a lot of places that are as under developed as Largo. I mean New Carrollton at least have stuff there already, so does Hyattsville at PG Pla.....err Mall at PG . I mean there are other options but I just hope they don't move it too far up because there is a need there in mid-county.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 PM

169 posts, read 300,038 times
Quote:

I have doctors around the whole area; Silver Spring, GWU and Inova Fairfax. I have to switch trains anytime I go. I start on the green line and switch to the blue or orange for GWU and the red for Silver Spring. It's not like you are walking or driving the entire time.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedisguise View Post
I have doctors around the whole area; Silver Spring, GWU and Inova Fairfax. I have to switch trains anytime I go. I start on the green line and switch to the blue or orange for GWU and the red for Silver Spring. It's not like you are walking or driving the entire time.
Yeah but metro can be a pain. And the fares aren't getting any cheaper. I had a doctor at GW before and used to take the metro. Sometimes I would drive. It was just too far. I now have a doctor in Beltsville. Super convenient.

SPeaking of doctors. Time for a separate thread.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 PM

169 posts, read 300,038 times
Quote:
Yeah but metro can be a pain. And the fares aren't getting any cheaper. I had a doctor at GW before and used to take the metro. Sometimes I would drive. It was just too far. I now have a doctor in Beltsville. Super convenient.

SPeaking of doctors. Time for a separate thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland