Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 AM

217 posts, read 308,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
Those Black Dominated towns like Oxon Hill, District Heights, Marlow Heights, etc. are the towns I am talking about. Middle Class and very inexpensive. But would a white man be accepted, that is my question.
Would you accept a black man moving into your all white or asian community?

If so, why would it be any different?

I think you watch a lot of movies and listen to a lot of music that isn't going to give you a true reflections of an relatively affluent, while predominantly African American, county outside of Washington d.c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
PG's public schools are even more uniformly black than the general population is. If you have any children, they would be VERY out of place socially in any public school and you would be advised to use private schools. Car insurance is also higher throughout PGC. PGC suffers from having very little business tax base, as there is very little private industry / employers as compared with all the other area suburban counties, therefore PGC has to raise its revenue through income tax.
Is this a joke? Why the assumption that the kids will be out of place socially becasue of the higher % of african american children.

Hip hop or urban culture is very popular and profitable and not because it's only the black kids supporting it.

Use you brain!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
You will be very frustrated if you like any of the following activities, which are almost non-existent in PGC
country music
square or contra dancing
Celtic (Irish) music
classical music
polka music
polo playing
lacrosse playing
bluegrass music
antique/classic car shows (although Upper Marlboro does have one)
antique shops
barbershop quartet singing
Lacrosse playing??? I'm starting to see the humor here. It's pretty funny and now I now your not really functionally retarded!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,836,845 times
Ghettos create poverty. Better to have whites and black living together than to attempt to be separate. Especially if both groups are poor. It might be time to help each other. The more friends you have the better. Besides the term Afro-American is a disgrace...there should only be one kind of person AMERICAN...period.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
We don't play lacrosse in Western Maryland, youth or high school.
They play lacrosse in pg county. This guy is a idiot!!!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 AM

7,044 posts, read 11,344,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
The demographics don't support most of the stuff that you've listed. But there is lacrosse up in PG, heck there is lacrosse EVERYWHERE in Maryland; it's like the most popular sport in the state.
I was replying to this statement. Lacrosse isn't everywhere in Maryland, we don't play it in Western Maryland. They very well may play it in PG county.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,589,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Ghettos create poverty.

Might want to flip that around.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM

74 posts, read 171,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Beechtree is too far from DC in my opinion
We considered Beechtree and hated it. Absolutely hated it. Those houses are shoved together like sardines in a can. We walked through two homes there in January and just were not impressed.

There are a lot of houses overall in that development. It just wasn't for us.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM

74 posts, read 171,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky93 View Post
The child's discipline to do his/her school work isn't always the issue. It's the quality of the education being received. There's no way most PG county students are being prepared for college/labor market the same way compared to students in MoCo and Howard county.
My kids are in a dedicated TAG elementary school in PG and I am pleased with the academic rigor of the program. I feel like there are two kinds of educations being delivered in PG -- the "special" programs and the "comprehensive" program. Most of the people I know are pleased with the special programs in PG (although there is room for improvement, always) and most of the people I know who have kids in a comprehensive program are extremely displeased.

Again - we could move to MoCo or HoCo or any other Co. We have the financial resources. We're white. But if everyone with means runs away from this county, how are we ever going to make it better? I agree with whoever said that parental engagement is a make-or-break factor for kids in terms of their education and preparation for the world. My kids get the opportunity to travel, experience cultural/arts programs, take music lessons, provide community service and understand their responsibility to humanity ... etc ... kids aren't born well-rounded; they get exposed deliberately from their parents.

Now all that said, I would never in a million years allow my children to attend some of the schools in PG. Never. But since that's not an issue for us, I am perfectly content to stay here in the county and hopefully contribute toward its improvement over time.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM

671 posts, read 1,548,332 times
Between my wife and I, we are intellectuals and hold 10 degrees. We live in PG county and have a daughter. If the parents are the overwhelming main reason why kids sink or swim, why is it that we would rather kill ourselves than send our daughter to the public school system? Why is it that most of our socioeconomic peers are the same way?

Why is it that when I was a kid growing up in poverty and had to go to an urban public school in which I was part of the tiny racial minority I was singled out repeatedly on account of my race? Why did I want to commit suicide on many accounts because of a hostile school environment that had on a daily basis gave the possibility of granting my wish for me? My poor mother tried her best by complaining to the school and going to every parent conference but the school just shoved it off as insignificant and/or 'children being children'. Stop being stupid, people. Schools are pathetic. Yeah, sure, parents that don't care mess up the system, but the school needs to fix the messed up children or ship them away. Parents of bad children are the problem, the schools are the problem, the TEACHERS ARE THE PROBLEM, and our local/state governmental bodies are the problem. Bring back corporal punishment capability to teachers and destroy all individual school districts and have them directly governed by the US Department of Education.

Or we can continue ignoring the gigantic elephant in the room and keep saying its all parents that are at fault.

Last edited by molukai; 04-05-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland