Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:31 PM

183 posts, read 339,139 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a possible job transfer to Woodlawn. For personal reasons I won't bore everyone with, I would need to live in Silver Spring. Would driving from SS to Woodlawn be a nightmare? What would the commute time be like? Are there any trains that run into Woodlawn from SS? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM

165 posts, read 564,261 times
Default Silver Spring is big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themag62 View Post
I'm looking at a possible job transfer to Woodlawn. For personal reasons I won't bore everyone with, I would need to live in Silver Spring. Would driving from SS to Woodlawn be a nightmare? What would the commute time be like? Are there any trains that run into Woodlawn from SS? TIA!
So what part of SS?

The northern most part backs up to Burtonsville off of 29 and you would be driving opposite of rush hour traffic going into DC so from this area I think you could do it in about 35 minutes. A few years back I took this route from time to time into Ellicott City (southwest of Woodlawn) and it wasn't too bad.

If you were coming from downtown SS or just outside the beltway, the drive would be a bit harrier because the Colesville/29 intersection can be a beast in the am so getting through there could take around 15 minutes before you even start heading north on 29.

As for train service, I believe you would have to pick up the MARC to get out to Baltimore before getting a bus out to Woodlawn. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is direct MARC service to Woodlawn.

C.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Have any idea where Grace Episcopal Church in SS is? I need to live in that neighborhood or close by, so it would be on that side of town in SS. It's a bus stop pick up for the private school where I would send my kid. Thanks for replying!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:14 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
For personal reasons I won't bore everyone with,
I would need to live in Silver Spring.
Aww come on! I bet it's a great story

Quote:
Would driving from SS to Woodlawn be a nightmare? Close to.
What would the commute time be like? Awful.
Are there any trains that run into Woodlawn from SS? No
Imagine driving up 29 past Columbia to I-70...
then east on I-70 all the way to the very end of it.

It's a straightforward route with only two main turns...
but it's still about 35 miles and every bit of an hour. Each way.

For a few months while you sort out your personal life reasons... OK.
But to commit to this commute as in forever... They better be paying you good!

hth

Old 10-24-2011, 03:21 PM

It will take 60 minutes to drive 35 miles?? I'll be able to do no faster than 35mph the entire way??

Old 10-24-2011, 03:37 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,646 times
Not a bad commute. My Friend commutes from Columbia Heights to Catonsville everyday and it takes him 45-60 minutes. I did the commute once, passed through Silver Spring to get there. Forget the exact routes, but took 29 the majority of the way.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
It will take 60 minutes to drive 35 miles??
I'll be able to do no faster than (a mixed avg of) 35mph the entire way??
Close to.
Google says 33 miles and 40 minutes... but that doesn't count rush hour congestion

Have you ever driven up 29 to Columbia?
Think about doing that at rush hour.

Then you have I-70 which is a straight shot
but congested with everyone coming from out toward Frederick...
Then you still have to drive to SS HQ lot to park and hike in.

Once you get established you can probably get a commuter van or car pool
with people from Columbia... less aggravation but that won't save much time.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:51 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,150,426 times
You don't have to take I-70 at all to commute to Woodlawn (and I wouldn't unless you are working at the far far end of Security Blvd or maybe at the Social Security Administration). If you are working closer to CMS, take 29 until it ends, and then you take the backroads. I commute Ellicott City - Woodlawn and I have several co-workers who do it from Silver Spring. There isn't really a lot of rush hour congestion. The worst is on the return trip on 29S when you catch the light wrong and have to wait for all the folks turning left to go from 29N to 70W. For you, the worst congestion will be getting in and out of Silver Spring itself.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 PM

I live in Chicago, and know nothing about traffic or any roads. Soc. Security Admin is exactly where I would be traveling to from SS, but looking at a google map, I don't see how 29 would figure in my commute at all. It looks like I would take 95 N to 70 E. Correct? Could I take 29 to SS in Woodlawn?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
...but looking at a google map, I don't see how 29 would figure in my commute at all.
US 29 runs right through the middle of Silver Spring...
and runs parallel to I-95; which is about 4 or 5 miles farther east.

From that Church you mentioned (near Georgia Av)
you would have to pass US 29 and go about 5 miles just to get to I-95.

There may be times when you may elect to go the 95 route
(accidents, weather etc) but it isn't even close to being closer or shorter.

Take another look at the maps.

Lurk raised a point abut taking some back roads...
it has merit but not until after you've learned the main roads.

Quote:
I live in Chicago...
Aha! The plot thickens! I had the impression you were already living in SS.
If you aren't living in SS now... then you really should reconsider your initial premise:
For personal reasons... I would need to live in Silver Spring.

There are lots of nice rentals available in far closer proximity of Woodlawn
and within Woodlawn itself too.

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 10-24-2011 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland