Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 4,032 times

Advertisements

I am looking for advise on where to move in DC. Here are a few things about us. My husband took a position at the University of Maryland and I am still seeking a job. So, at the moment until I get a job we could only afford around $1,250. We currently live in the Gaslight area of Clifton and absolutely love it! If we could find a similar place that would be great. I would describe out area as fun, mostly upper 20 somethings surrounded by nice houses, easily walkable, not too congested, and not unsafe. We mostly care about being reasonably close to College Park in a safe area. The area I am looking into working are Bethesda and Silver Springs. Any recommendations of areas would really be appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffinersnow View Post
.....My husband took a position at the University of Maryland and I am still seeking a job. So, at the moment until I get a job we could only afford around $1,250. We currently live in the Gaslight area of Clifton and absolutely love it! If we could find a similar place that would be great. I would describe out area as fun, mostly upper 20 somethings surrounded by nice houses, easily walkable, not too congested, and not unsafe. We mostly care about being reasonably close to College Park in a safe area. The area I am looking into working are Bethesda and Silver Springs. Any recommendations of areas would really be appreciated.
Thanks!
Unfortunately, the areas that sound like your Gaslight district are likely to be much more expensive than $1250. Maybe in Takoma Par, Silver Spring or Hyattsville you can find an apartment in an older building, or a studio. For example, I'd suggest ones along Manchester Road in Silver Spring. I'd just look for the safest place for the money between College Park and Bethesda, but you won't get much for $1250. I have been looking at hotpads.com to locate places.

Perhaps you could also look for a house share on Craiglist until you find that second job.

Another thought-- Are you eligible for faculty or grad student housing at the U of Maryland through your husband's job?

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-20-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,468 times
Hi there -

You may want to look at the City of Greenbelt, sometimes called Old Greenbelt; the Calvert Hills section of College Park; the town of University Park (not quite as much to walk to) or the City of Hyattsville (the neighborhoods running along Route 1 near the new EYA and Pulte homes developments). If you look on a map it will make sense to you. I've posted on these neighborhoods several times previously, so you can search the forums for other comments.

Downtown College Park would be fun for a 22 year old, but not for an adult. It is nice to have the shopping to walk to, but it's mostly bars and chain casual eateries along with a CVS.

If you can afford it and your husband doesn't mind a 20-25 minute commute, Takoma Park sounds like it would also be a good fit, but I'm not sure about the rent.

Bethesda to the UMD campus can easily be 40 minutes in traffic.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times
you might want to get an apt in college park or somewhere near a metro station until you get a job and get settled. there is a subway station in college park and you can take the train from there to bethesda or silver spring and relocate later. unfortunately, the dc area is a lot more expensive than ohio and traffic in the dc area is horrible so living and working near a metro station for awhile might be a good idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland