Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 23,789 times

Advertisements

Hi from NYC. My girlfriend will be spending a semester doing an internship in DC and a then a semester at John Hopkins in Baltimore. I'm thinking of moving somewhere in-between the two. Does anybody have any recommendations for towns I could live? I'm thinking somewhere along the MARC line might be good so that my girlfriend can get to me easily! I want to live somewhere clean, green, nice, and quiet but with easy access to supermarkets, shops, restaurants, coffee houses etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenL5 View Post
Does anybody have any recommendations for towns I could live? I'm thinking somewhere along the MARC line might be good so that my girlfriend can get to me easily! I want to live somewhere clean, green, nice, and quiet but with easy access to supermarkets, shops, restaurants, coffee houses etc...
Elkridge, Ellicott City, Columbia, or Jessup. However, the properties closest to the MARC line are not especially nice, as they are in an industrial corridor. Look for an apartment a few miles away from the train line.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,602 times
As a first step, I'd figure out the commute details (adding lots of extra time for any driving). Once you have that, you'll have narrowed your possibilities. It is possible to live in between the two cities and yet have few of the things on your list, for example: crime, noise, stuck in suburbia, and with a long commute, so investigate thoroughly.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Just move to Baltimore (Mt Vernon) and utilize the MARC to DC. 45-60 minute ride depending on express or local. The time saved to live somewhere in the middle where you are likely to be the only young person won't really seem like a bargain.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM

182 posts, read 477,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenL5 View Post
Hi from NYC. My girlfriend will be spending a semester doing an internship in DC and a then a semester at John Hopkins in Baltimore. I'm thinking of moving somewhere in-between the two. Does anybody have any recommendations for towns I could live? I'm thinking somewhere along the MARC line might be good so that my girlfriend can get to me easily! I want to live somewhere clean, green, nice, and quiet but with easy access to supermarkets, shops, restaurants, coffee houses etc...
My wife and I recently bought a townhouse in North Laurel (Howard County). We're right in between the Savage and Laurel train stations (MARC Camden Line). We love the area, it's quiet, the people are really nice (our community, is a mix of military folks and younger families) and we're close to plenty of restaurants, shopping, etc (we generally hang out in Columbia which is only 10 minutes away). Our area is also the midway point between downtown DC and downtown Baltimore (both are just under 25 miles away).

You may also want to consider communities located along the MARC Penn Line such as Odenton. The Penn Line runs more frequently than the Camden line (the Camden Line only runs during the morning and evening rush hours, while the Penn Line runs all day).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland