Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 16,152 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing a lot of research on places to live, but I could really use more insight and help.

My boyfriend and I are moving in together in the fall, and we are starting to look at various locales but I could really use some insiders help.

My boyfriend works in Arlington, VA, right off of 395. As anyone in the area knows, commute is an absolute pain when heading north since there is no direct dump onto 295. I, on the other hand, work in downtown Baltimore.

We are looking for some place in between our two cities. The heavy commute on his end means that splitting the commute half way (1/2 in regards to time, not distance), means that we are looking closer to DC.

Money wise, our max rental budget is around 2,200, not including utilities. We are looking for a town home or single family home. Safety is very important. Being able to walk to restaurants and amenities would be great, but isn't a requirement since we aren't in a city. I have dogs, so I would really like a place that has trails or parks around, and has a more family type environment.

I feel like we have been spoiled in my boyfriend's town home community because it has grass areas incorporated, miles of pathways to walk dogs, and is the type of place where young families gather outside in evenings with their kids playing and just chat. I would love to find that type of location, but I doubt that is possible.

Any ideas?? We drove around South Laurel a bit and saw some intriguing town home communities, but we are looking for options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Piney Orchard in Odenton?

Or, somewhere along the Marc Camden line?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal04 View Post
Any ideas?? We drove around South Laurel a bit and saw some intriguing town home communities, but we are looking for options.
I'd suggest Russett in Laurel. It's right adjacent to the BW parkway. I believe Russett has walking trails and planned open space. Your budget is enough for a nice place.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 16,152 times
Is there anything closer to DC? According to map quest and my direction apps., it would be a solid 50 minute commute for him. And that is with good traffic. He tech. works in Arlington, but it is on the line of being in Alexandria on 395. So it's a ways away.

Thank you for these suggestions though! I am looking at each of them.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 AM

Well, the mid-way point is in Prince George County, about Beltsville at Contee Road. That isn't especially bad, but if you can afford $2200 per month, you can find nicer areas. Both responses assume you want a nice area. Beltsville is a commercial strip and the houses nearby are 60's vintage. There are a few nicer developments in Calverton, but the rent on houses is $2300-2400.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-12-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 12:00 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal04 View Post
My boyfriend works in Arlington, VA, right off of 395. As anyone in the area knows, commute is an absolute pain when heading north since there is no direct dump onto 295. .
295 to the 11th street bridge to 659 (!!!) to 395.

Its new (the express lanes on the new 11th street bridge and connection to SE SW freeway) . I thought it was finished, but I'm not sure.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 PM

Another area which might work is the northeast part of Silver Spring near the intersection of Rte 29 and Cherry Hill Road. There are some townhouse communities close to shopping, and they are convenient to I-95 and express buses to the SS Metro. It's the 20904 zip code, also called the Calverton neighborhood.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-12-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 PM

21 posts, read 92,643 times
This is a tough one. Those are two opposite ends of the spectrum. And even living in say, Bethesda (assuming it was within your budget) he would still have a pretty crappy commute to Arlington.

When I moved, I changed my job because I hate commuting. I found a better paying job, 15-20 minutes away compared to continuing to commute to Crystal City from Gaithersburg. I figured buying a house was a lot more permanent of a decision than my job. Obviously I have no idea how attached either of you are to your respective jobs, but I'm just putting that thought out there. Either way you both are going to have unpleasant commutes in that situation, not to mention both spending hundreds of dollars in gas a month, which I'm assuming is already factored into your budget.

Please don't take this suggestion the wrong way, as it is only meant to bring up another possible idea for consideration. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland