Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM

304 posts, read 714,351 times

Advertisements

Board of Education Narrows Superintendent Search to Three Candidates

Quote:
After an extensive national search, the Prince George’s County Board of Education has identified three candidates for the position of Superintendent of Schools.
The finalists are:
  • Dr. Eric J. Becoats, superintendent of schools for Durham Public Schools in Durham, NC;
  • Dr. Alvin L. Crawley, interim superintendent of schools for Prince George’s County Public Schools; and
  • Mr. Harrison A. Peters, chief of schools for Chicago Public Schools in Chicago, IL.
“We set out an ambitious timeline for our superintendent search and we are happy we attracted these qualified candidates,” said Board of Education Chair Verjeana M. Jacobs, Esq. “During the next few weeks, the public will have an opportunity to interact with the three candidates and provide their input to the Board as we select the next leader who will further the mission of our school district.”
I'm sure I'll have the unpopular opinion, but as I strongly suspected when this search first started, I am less than enthused about this list of candidates. Seems like the same old song and dance with PGCPS: more of the same. Admittedly, it's hard to fairly criticize this action, as I'm not aware of all the people who applied for the position. However, based on this list, it just seems there weren't many noteworthy candidates who expressed interest and/or they wanted salaries that PGCPS would not match.

I knew Alvin Crawley (current interim superintendent) would be a runner-up. That went without saying. After having interaction with him throughout this current school year, I am not supportive of him at all. He served me and a group of parents a lot of fluff at the beginning of the school year, and most of it turned out to not be true. And another issue that I have with Crawley, as well as Eric Beacoats, as they are both old blood. Can we get some young people with progressive and youthful thinking who can be candidates???

Beacoats just became superintendent of Durham Public Schools and he's already wanting to come to Prince George's County only four years later??? Seems like another William Hite. Are things not working out in North Carolina??

And the last candidate, Harrison Peters, doesn't even hold a friggin' doctorate! Every superintendent I can think of in Northern Virginia and Suburban Maryland holds a doctorate. So, now we're chasing some second rate wannabe who's willing to take the job (most likely at a lower wage) because he's just happy for the opportunity, all things considered???

I was just really hoping PGCPS would finally realize that the same old song and dance wasn't working out for them. I wrote precisely that was in the beginning of the school year when they were soliciting community feedback for what we wanted PGCPS to do when looking for a new candidate. They ended up choosing the exact same types of individuals I personally stated shouldn't be considered. As if it wasn't clear before that PGCPS could care less about the students they serve, this finally solidifies it. These morons don't even use the "Children Come First" mantra, anymore. The PGCPS logo is just this black on white block of letters and a 1st grader designed logo that states "PGCPS | Prince George's County Public Schools." Sounds about right.

So the school system will most likely continue to lag far behind all other major school districts and continue to be plagued with problems, lack of progress, and sticking of age old ways of doing things that clearly haven't worked. I hope to everything that I'm dead wrong, but I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 04:29 AM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
I'd be surprised if Crawley isn't the pick. Several reasons: why leave your job for an interim position? He's doing the right things as set out by the School Board and MSDE. He's toned down the anti-teacher rhetoric Hite had ramped up.

Also, and many don't realize this, Superintendent slots by COMAR regulations run from July 1 to June 30 on a four year cycle and the departing holder is required to give six months notice. Hite did not do that. If a job is accepted on July 2 the new guy is interim until next July 1. Those contracts are required to be only 4 year deals, no more, no less.

Also, I would argue that many of us with Master's degrees are probably better prepared to be a Superintendent than many who hold EdDs. That metric is an example of degree creep.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,437,661 times
Just reading about these candidates, I was not wowed. I suppose we can't do any better? I will say this: when you reelect the same people, you get the same results. Expecting different is the definition of insanity. Khemistry, I hope we're both wrong.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,995,364 times
My question is do potential candidates around the country consider this an attractive job? There are a number of things that I believe takes away from this job attracting potential top candidates.

• The school system is one of the largest school systems in the nation
  • The system has a sizable FARM rate and urban influence, that gives it resemblance of an urban city population (it certain parts) than a suburb.
  • The county is marketed as the wealthiest black county in America and perhaps that may be a turn off for non-black candidates
  • Reputation of county leadership
  • Reputation of previous school system leadership
  • Reputation of school system on a regional level is poor
  • Low test scores
I just wonder how much, if any, do these factors weigh in on who is interested in this position.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,433,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
My question is do potential candidates around the country consider this an attractive job? There are a number of things that I believe takes away from this job attracting potential top candidates.

• The system has a sizable FARM rate and urban influence, that gives it resemblance of an urban city population (it certain parts) than a suburb.
  • The county is marketed as the wealthiest black county in America and perhaps that may be a turn off for non-black candidates
  • Low test scores
I just wonder how much, if any, do these factors weigh in on who is interested in this position.
I would think being in charge of a large urban district would attract the type A types who want to make a name for themselves.

Are any non-Blacks even being considered for the position? I don't know the races of the finalists.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM

46 posts, read 65,351 times
How does the county's position as the wealthiest PREDOMINANTLY black county become problematic in the search for a superintendent? Are prejudice and bigotry things to look for in a qualified candidate?

Look, I'm a sports fan and many times, fans propose poor teams go out and hire top coaches. Unfortunately, poor teams need to have many things in place before a highly touted candidate will consider them. Other times, the best candidates are already doing the job elsewhere. Until you can get one, you have to make due with what you have or what you can get.

To close out this sports analogy, Doug Collins preceded Phil Jackson and Doug Collins is still considered a very good coach. We should consider the possibility that whomever is chosen may be able to make some improvements and we as a county need to support that.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'd be surprised if Crawley isn't the pick.
I'm almost certain Crawley will be the pick, too. It's an easy way out without having to do much work. Plus all of the points you made which I was completely oblivious to. Also, I did not mean to offend anyone who may not hold a doctorate. I know for an absolute fact from personal experience, that there's people with master degrees who can dance circles around people with doctorates and then outperform them under a city bus. However, for a position such as this and when PGCPS has so much on the line, when I see that they're considering someone who doesn't hold a doctorate and (1) all or most surround school districts have superintendents with doctorates and (2) PGCPS is in such the sad state they're in, it makes me very worrisome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Just reading about these candidates, I was not wowed. I suppose we can't do any better? I will say this: when you reelect the same people, you get the same results. Expecting different is the definition of insanity. Khemistry, I hope we're both wrong.
You and me both. I want to so be wrong about my feelings, but I highly doubt it. Crawley does have a few positive things about him — he put a few things in the works that benefits a particular school I support and that other superintendents have put on the backburner — but otherwise I'm not impressed. And I'm certainly not impressed by any of the other candidates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post

• Low test scores
I would think a large school system would be a major PLUS for any superintendent candidate. Montgomery County and Fairfax County Public Schools had no issues finding people jumping at the superintendent vacancies.

I also don't think being an "urban-like" school district is a turnoff. Look to the New York City Public Schools system.

Why would this area being marketed as "the wealthiest majority black county in the country" be a turnoff to anyone???

The rest of your points have merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I would think being in charge of a large urban district would attract the type A types who want to make a name for themselves.

Are any non-Blacks even being considered for the position? I don't know the races of the finalists.
Unfortunately... NO. I was really hoping there'd be a highly accomplished non-black candidate. I Googled all of the finalists (with the exception of Crawley as we know his race) and they are all black. I wrote highly against this in the email I sent to PGCPS giving them my recommendations. PGCPS are in this closed box mindset, where they feel that only a black superintendent is suitable to run a majority black system. I specially asked them, "How's that working out for you???". The response I got to my lengthy email from Bryant J. Coleman, communications director, was "Thanks for your input."

Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Allegiance View Post
How does the county's position as the wealthiest PREDOMINANTLY black county become problematic in the search for a superintendent? Are prejudice and bigotry things to look for in a qualified candidate?

Look, I'm a sports fan and many times, fans propose poor teams go out and hire top coaches. Unfortunately, poor teams need to have many things in place before a highly touted candidate will consider them. Other times, the best candidates are already doing the job elsewhere. Until you can get one, you have to make due with what you have or what you can get.

To close out this sports analogy, Doug Collins preceded Phil Jackson and Doug Collins is still considered a very good coach. We should consider the possibility that whomever is chosen may be able to make some improvements and we as a county need to support that.
You can say that about anyone, so I'm not understanding your rationale.

We could have easily operated under the guise that Iris T. Metts may have been able to make some improvements and blindly supported her... where did that get us???

We could have easily operated under the guise that Andre Hornsby may have been able to make some improvements and blindly supported him... where did that get us???

We could have easily operated under the guise that William R. Hite may have been able to make some improvements and blindly supported him... where did that get us???

The only superintendent that seemed popular and like he could have made great strides, was John E. Deasy, and he was basically ran out of the school system because the powers-that-be in Upper Marlboro, didn't like that he wasn't going to tolerate the B.S. they'd became quite comfortable with presenting and operating by.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,995,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
I would think a large school system would be a major PLUS for any superintendent candidate. Montgomery County and Fairfax County Public Schools had no issues finding people jumping at the superintendent vacancies.

I also don't think being an "urban-like" school district is a turnoff. Look to the New York City Public Schools system.

Why would this area being marketed as "the wealthiest majority black county in the country" be a turnoff to anyone???

The rest of your points have merit.
The problem with larger school systems, especially ones that don't perform well is there are very few school systems in the country that are this size. We have a unique structure of schools in this region. Talking to a few people about this who aren't native to this area, they were shocked to know how big our school systems are. They are more accustomed to smaller town systems. Smaller systems are much easier to manage and require less work. Can you imagine the difference in the work load of someone who is the Superintendent of PG versus some place like Manassas Park, which only has 4 schools in it's system? It's a huge difference. It's like going from running a small business to running a Fortune 500. It may not be impossible but it could be intimidating to some.

The other issue is, the issues within the county is complex. PG is one of the few places that has such a wide range of cultural and geographic differences. Fairfax and Montgomery County for the most part do not vary as much, especially not from a socio-economical aspect.

The "urban-like" environment can be a deterrent for some. If they are looking for a traditional suburb school system, PG isn't the one. It's so large and unique. It's almost like hybrid jurisdiction. The approaches to education greatly change when you consider the differences which is one reason why I would think someone that would think this is strictly a suburban district, will be shocked to find a much more urban side in certain parts. I know some educators just do not want to or have the training to deal with such an environment.

As far as the wealthiest black county part, it's just the stigma that is attached. Let's be honest, people are going to assume black people don't value education, which in some ways are true, but you as someone that is not black, I'm sure questions of respect will come across their minds. How much respect can you garner as a leader of a school system where you simply may not relate to the people you are serving? As sad as it is, I believe the racial make-up (although it's slowly changing), will deter some.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM

46 posts, read 65,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
You can say that about anyone, so I'm not understanding your rationale.

We could have easily operated under the guise that Iris T. Metts may have been able to make some improvements and blindly supported her... where did that get us???

We could have easily operated under the guise that Andre Hornsby may have been able to make some improvements and blindly supported him... where did that get us???

We could have easily operated under the guise that William R. Hite may have been able to make some improvements and blindly supported him... where did that get us???

The only superintendent that seemed popular and like he could have made great strides, was John E. Deasy, and he was basically ran out of the school system because the powers-that-be in Upper Marlboro, didn't like that he wasn't going to tolerate the B.S. they'd became quite comfortable with presenting and operating by.
Certainly not advocating for blind support. By support, I mean sending children who are prepared to learn, advocating to the school board for things that will benefit the in-school and in-class environment, and being active in elections that will put capable and qualified board members and leaders in office so that improvement plans can be implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland