Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Because Annapolis is controlling much of the growth for the state. Bringing businesses here is a difficult hurdle in MD and as mentioned every region has different wants and needs. The state gov is not addressing them, at least not for Eastern Shore or Western MD.

That's because Annapolis has realized the state can't afford to build anymore infrastructure in the Eastern Shore or Western Maryland. The state can't afford the infrastructure they built for them now in 2013. How do you think the state is going to pay for more low density growth that does not pull its own weight with revenue tax dollars paid going forward? This is pointless to discuss with you until someone provides a revenue answer? It does not matter how many companies come to Western Maryland or the Eastern Shore, they will not be able to pull their own weight. It takes density to pull your own weight which they don't like which is why they live there to begin with. How do you plan to fix that problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
So you drove through town and have friends that went to FSU and you think you have learned all you need to know about our area? Your posts reveal otherwise. But you are right, with your current attitude, you wouldn't learn anything.

Regardless, the offer stands. Consider it when the weather is nice, you can make it a mini-vacation.

I did not say that. I said, where is your appreciation for what you are given? I asked you already if you would trade no regulation's for not receiving any money from the state? You keep your tax dollars and maintain your own region. That would probably be the best solution. Then, you would be responsible for you and no blame could be passed to anyone else but your region. People wanting to live in your region could do so freely with no restrictions to building etc. If West Virginia or Pennsylvania wanted you, that would be another idea too, but I have not heard that idea come out from those states. Either way, it would provide your region the opportunity to be more like West Virginia and everything that comes with it.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:56 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You just named cities. A city is a city. DC and NYC are exception in this country being some of the most urban dense cities America has to offer. Columbus and Cleveland are still cities that fall on my side of the argument. We are talking about rural America. Now, reference something that falls on your side of the argument in rural America. And show how they are pulling their weight.
Not once in this thread did I support rural living. I am simply against this notion that living in dense urban enclaves is desirable or that it is where America is headed to.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:03 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Not once in this thread did I support rural living. I am simply against this notion that living in dense urban enclaves is desirable or that it is where America is headed to.

Hate to burst your bubble, but it's true. As America and the economy moves away from manual labor and farming, city centers that hold knowledge and service jobs are growing. Cities have the amenities and they don't force you to have a car to get butter. The current generation is all about conserving energy and modernizing public transit to cut back on road building which encourages more vehicular traffic. Who knows, in 50 years it may swing back in the other direction and people will start to leave the city again. All this stuff happens in cycles.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
I did not say that. I said, where is your appreciation for what you are given? I asked you already if you would trade no regulation's for not receiving any money from the state? You keep your tax dollars and maintain your own region. That would probably be the best solution. Then, you would be responsible for you and no blame could be passed to anyone else but your region. People wanting to live in your region could do so freely with no restrictions to building etc. If West Virginia or Pennsylvania wanted you, that would be another idea too, but I have not heard that idea come out from those states. Either way, it would provide your region the opportunity to be more like West Virginia and everything that comes with it.
We already agreed on this, remember? I think you should have every right to keep your tax dollars and use them in the way your community sees fit. No point of disagreement there, although we both must admit this outcome is not feasible in the real world.

I have given credit in this thread to the state in the past for treating us a partner, mentioning Schafer by name. I have also lauded the coal tax credit as a concrete example of state tax money at work that benefits us and you. If you wish for another example, the Arts homesteading tax credits offered by the state have helped fix up and repurpose many buildings in our downtown.

My big point is that things have changed dramatically in the past few years. The cooperation has ended, and more and more folks with attitudes such as yours have dominated not only the dialog, but the decision making. I have given you plenty of examples showing how these top-down solutions don't help our area, but rather actively hurt us, but you don't care to listen. In fact your attitude has gotten to the point where posters that would be your allies on the gas tax issue are finding it uncivil and condescending. I don't disagree with them.

You even took an offer from me to come up and see my home county and threw it aside. It remains sincere. I promise there will be no lecture, I enjoy giving people tours of my home, and a picture says a thousand words.

In the end, whether you agree with me or not, the weaknesses in your background knowledge of the state as a whole, and the historic relationship between urban and rural areas have been revealed. Your attitude has been uncivil to people trying to discuss issues with you. Learn from this, don't cast it aside. There will come a time in your life where those that support your position won't be a super-majority of decision makers and you will actually have to conduct constructive dialog with those you disagree with, and maybe even compromise on occasion. Good luck.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-27-2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
The infrastructure in not going to help me at all. The denser building they plan on doing is going to clog all the infrastructure they plan to do. All those rapid bus lines and such only help one part of Gaithersburg. Too bad they are building up all of Gaithersburg. Brilliant!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
We already agreed on this, remember? I think you should have every right to keep your tax dollars and use them in the way your community sees fit. No point of disagreement there, although we both must admit this outcome is not feasible in the real world.

I have given credit in this thread to the state in the past for treating us a partner, mentioning Schafer by name. I have also lauded the coal tax credit as a concrete example of state tax money at work that benefits us and you. If you wish for another example, the Arts homesteading tax credits offered by the state have helped fix up and repurpose many buildings in our downtown.

My big point is that things have changed dramatically in the past few years. The cooperation has ended, and more and more folks with attitudes such as yours have dominated not only the dialog, but the decision making. I have given you plenty of examples showing how these top-down solutions don't help our area, but rather actively hurt us, but you don't care to listen. In fact your attitude has gotten to the point where posters that would be your allies on the gas tax issue are finding it uncivil and condescending. I don't disagree with them.

You even took an offer from me to come up and see my home county and threw it aside. It remains sincere. I promise there will be no lecture, I enjoy giving people tours of my home, and a picture says a thousand words.

In the end, whether you agree with me or not, the weaknesses in your background knowledge of the state as a whole, and the historic relationship between urban and rural areas have been revealed. Your attitude has been uncivil to people trying to discuss issues with you. Learn from this, don't cast it aside. There will come a time in your life where those that support your position won't be a super-majority of decision makers and you will actually have to conduct constructive dialog with those you disagree with, and maybe even compromise on occasion. Good luck.

Compromise what? Sorry to break it to you but this is a message board. It does not matter what you or I say on here, it doesn't change anything. This is a place for people to come vent obviously. If that makes people feel better, that is great. Whatever people need to do, but city-data.com has about 0% effect on what happens anywhere in this nation. Talking with people about these topics is something to do as we pass the time at work when we get board. Well, maybe some people aren't at work. Anyway, I think it's funny when people come on here to discuss things they don't like because it isn't going to change anything.

I didn't make the law nor do I have any part in it. Take that up with your government. Also, why would I come meet an absolute stranger over the internet in Cumberland? What are you smoking? And even if I did, what would that do? I'm not a government official. Maybe you should invite the governor of Maryland. Anyway, my point is, this thread is about a gas tax increase. It happened; it's over, write your representatives and complain about.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
The infrastructure in not going to help me at all. The denser building they plan on doing is going to clog all the infrastructure they plan to do. All those rapid bus lines and such only help one part of Gaithersburg. Too bad they are building up all of Gaithersburg. Brilliant!
I thought those bus transit lines were dropped? I seem to recall a Post article saying there was not enough money for it so they scaled it back. Am I mis-remembering it? I do not see MDAllstar's point about Gaithersburg. The building they have been doing is not replacing existing areas. Crown Farm wasn't built up, for example. How is that a model for what he's talking about? He must be talking about future plans that I sometimes wonder will ever happen.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Compromise what? Sorry to break it to you but this is a message board. It does not matter what you or I say on here, it doesn't change anything. This is a place for people to come vent obviously. If that makes people feel better, that is great. Whatever people need to do, but city-data.com has about 0% effect on what happens anywhere in this nation. Talking with people about these topics is something to do as we pass the time at work when we get board. Well, maybe some people aren't at work. Anyway, I think it's funny when people come on here to discuss things they don't like because it isn't going to change anything.

I didn't make the law nor do I have any part in it. Take that up with your government. Also, why would I come meet an absolute stranger over the internet in Cumberland? What are you smoking? And even if I did, what would that do? I'm not a government official. Maybe you should invite the governor of Maryland. Anyway, my point is, this thread is about a gas tax increase. It happened; it's over, write your representatives and complain about.
You would learn something and probably enjoy yourself too. There is a reason thousands of people evacuate the 'burbs every weekend to head out our way. We are a cool little city in a sea of mountainous forest.

But, I understand a blanket prohibition about meeting strangers from the internet. I think it would have been easier to simply state that the first time rather than claiming there was nothing for you to learn since you had been up here at least once and had friends at FSU.

Compromise is accepting that other people besides yourself have specialized information and valid ideas that may not be exactly what you know or believe. There are times to acknowledge that others can contribute to the formation of good ideas and good policy, and there are times when you have little choice in life but to negotiate and meet in the middle. Sure, we are strangers arguing over the internet with no real ability to change the course of events.

Still, we are each serving as representatives of our respective homes, our ideas, our visions for the future. Maybe in real life you treat people with more respect and can debate without attempting to demean, belittle, and dismiss. If not, it is something you will have to learn if you want to make it in the world, most professional jobs expect it.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-27-2013 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
That's because Annapolis has realized the state can't afford to build anymore infrastructure in the Eastern Shore or Western Maryland. The state can't afford the infrastructure they built for them now in 2013. How do you think the state is going to pay for more low density growth that does not pull its own weight with revenue tax dollars paid going forward? This is pointless to discuss with you until someone provides a revenue answer? It does not matter how many companies come to Western Maryland or the Eastern Shore, they will not be able to pull their own weight. It takes density to pull your own weight which they don't like which is why they live there to begin with. How do you plan to fix that problem?
By getting these idiots out of Annapolis re-elect rational leaders to discuss what is needed for their respective regions. You are still blinded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland