Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you raise your family in Prince George's County?
Yes 42 53.85%
No 36 46.15%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:48 PM

320 posts, read 539,441 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are middle class and did move our family out to PG. If I had to do it over again I would probably look elsewhere. It's not that the county is a bad place to live. It's more because the schools are so terrible with seemingly no hope for significant improvement in the short term.

I've stated on several threads here that I'm very pleased with my neighborhood and immediate surrounding area. I live in a neighborhood with older homes that have been well maintained. My neighbors are all cool and there isn't a whole lot going on day to day that bothers me too much. However, the sorry state of the school system is something that I cannot understand. I ended up having to bite the bullet and send my kids to private school because I underestimated how bad the schools here actually were.

What amazes me is if you drive through parts of Upper Marlboro, Clinton and Accokeek and see the sizes of some of these newly built homes you'd have to wonder how the county is able to attract so many upper middle class families with such a broken down school system. There seems to be new McMansion developments sprouting up around the county on a monthly basis. I personally would have a hard time investing in one of these high-dollar properties given that the school system performs so poorly.

I can deal with most of the other aspects of the county except for the crime. Generally speaking there isn't much crime to speak of in my neck of the woods but I always have the feeling that I can never let my guard down. PG always seems to be a place where unnecessary crimes happen to people minding their own business. Some folks will come out and say that crime happens everywhere. But where else do postal workers get shot on their route? Where else but the worst areas do 15 yr. old kids get blasted so that they can't testify in court? Granted PG is a huge county, but all of this nonsense and more happens here more than just about any other suburb that I can think of. If the county could ever find a way to get the schools and the crime up to a respectable level; PG would have more middle class families looking to move here than the county would know what to do with. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 05:57 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
My wife and I are middle class and did move our family out to PG. If I had to do it over again I would probably look elsewhere. It's not that the county is a bad place to live. It's more because the schools are so terrible with seemingly no hope for significant improvement in the short term.

I've stated on several threads here that I'm very pleased with my neighborhood and immediate surrounding area. I live in a neighborhood with older homes that have been well maintained. My neighbors are all cool and there isn't a whole lot going on day to day that bothers me too much. However, the sorry state of the school system is something that I cannot understand. I ended up having to bite the bullet and send my kids to private school because I underestimated how bad the schools here actually were.

What amazes me is if you drive through parts of Upper Marlboro, Clinton and Accokeek and see the sizes of some of these newly built homes you'd have to wonder how the county is able to attract so many upper middle class families with such a broken down school system. There seems to be new McMansion developments sprouting up around the county on a monthly basis. I personally would have a hard time investing in one of these high-dollar properties given that the school system performs so poorly.

I can deal with most of the other aspects of the county except for the crime. Generally speaking there isn't much crime to speak of in my neck of the woods but I always have the feeling that I can never let my guard down. PG always seems to be a place where unnecessary crimes happen to people minding their own business. Some folks will come out and say that crime happens everywhere. But where else do postal workers get shot on their route? Where else but the worst areas do 15 yr. old kids get blasted so that they can't testify in court? Granted PG is a huge county, but all of this nonsense and more happens here more than just about any other suburb that I can think of. If the county could ever find a way to get the schools and the crime up to a respectable level; PG would have more middle class families looking to move here than the county would know what to do with. Just my opinion.
I seem to remember some of your posts. You were a big booster at one point and now you seem down cast. Did something happen in particular?

Honestly I think the people living in these big homes are more concerned about their big homes than making sure their kids are doing well in school. I've relocated to Charles County and it looks nice on the outside and I love my new place but the schools are heading in the same direction. Some of the stuff my coworker tells me about her middle school son's experience with unruly students, indifferent teachers and parents remind me of my family's experience with PG schools.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:18 AM

377 posts, read 665,625 times
I'd live here as long as my kids weren't school age.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:29 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,436,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post

You're in South County, right? When I lived there and saw the choice of middle and high schools, I knew I would need to bite the bullet at some point. The elementary school would have been brand new, but another close-by elementary was dismal. I think the high-dollar owners expect to go private, and some who are keeping up with the Joneses want to put their kids in the most prestigious private school possible.

Around here, folks like to brag about private school and other prestigious things like Jack and Jill.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
You're in South County, right? When I lived there and saw the choice of middle and high schools, I knew I would need to bite the bullet at some point. The elementary school would have been brand new, but another close-by elementary was dismal. I think the high-dollar owners expect to go private, and some who are keeping up with the Joneses want to put their kids in the most prestigious private school possible.

Around here, folks like to brag about private school and other prestigious things like Jack and Jill.

This is true. If you have money, private school is the top choice regardless of public school performance. Montgomery and Arlington have great schools, but there are residents who still prefer private schools if they have the disposable income for it. I know I would choose a private school even if the local schools were top notch if I could afford it. They just offer that security that your child will get the attention and care that public schools can't offer.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 AM

I can't imagine paying for private school for the entire length of time my kids would be school aged. You have to make a lot of extra money for that, and ultimately the data suggests there isn't necessarily an increased likelihood of obtaining acceptance to college.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
This is true. If you have money, private school is the top choice regardless of public school performance. Montgomery and Arlington have great schools, but there are residents who still prefer private schools if they have the disposable income for it. I know I would choose a private school even if the local schools were top notch if I could afford it. They just offer that security that your child will get the attention and care that public schools can't offer.
I hear you. But bear in mind that a good private school will offer attention and care. A mediocre private school will take your money, and still refer you to a tutor (or offer to tutor your child, so you pay them twice!) if your child needs extra help. From what I see and hear, PG has several mediocre private schools. One has to choose very carefully. Look at the Great Schools reviews. Sure, the reviews can be biased, but that doesn't mean they aren't true. I think a private school can be a safer environment, but not always a better academic environment. On the other hand, the rich folks know exactly where to send their kids.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
I can't imagine paying for private school for the entire length of time my kids would be school aged. You have to make a lot of extra money for that, and ultimately the data suggests there isn't necessarily an increased likelihood of obtaining acceptance to college.
My SO did it for his son. Who decided to attend community college first and then a state college to save money. Smart move, because his parents were able to foot the bill with no loans. But why did the community college make him take a couple of remedial courses?! He made it through just fine, but dang.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:51 AM

So if they invested that cash how much better off would they have been? In that case you mentioned it doesn't seem worth it.

But you know what, rich people do rich people things.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
So if they invested that cash how much better off would they have been? In that case you mentioned it doesn't seem worth it.

But you know what, rich people do rich people things.
They did it to avoid Woodlawn area schools in Baltimore County, safety reasons. The boy wasn't doing badly in private school grade wise. However, the college prep in the high school and the level to which he applied himself could have been factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland