Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,310 times

Advertisements

What is this, embarrassing incident #45,345?

Quote:
The Prince George’s County Board of Education voted 8-1 to suspend board member Carletta Fellows’ board credit card due to more than $700 worth of unauthorized expenses.

Fellows (Dist. 7) said she will pay the money back within a month, even though she feels most of the expenses she charged were justified. She said she does not plan to appeal the council’s decision.

“I’m just outraged, because these are taxpayer dollars, and we have to take this very seriously as a board. We cannot allow this to continue,” said board member Edward Burroughs III (Dist. 8), who put forth the motion to strip Fellows of her credit card at the board’s April 25 meeting.

An emergency item was added to the agenda, where school system internal auditor Michele Winston presented the board with a list of expenses for February and March, during which Fellows’ county-issued Visa was used to pay Washington Gas bills ($103.22), Verizon Wireless bills ($212.71), Pepco bills ($26.45) and a $20 bill for alcohol.
Utility bills? Only $20 on alcohol? She's even mediocre at being bad. If you're going to screw over the taxpayer, go big or go home!

And why is the credit card the only one being suspended here? Ms. Fellows is the guilty party, the credit card is just an innocent patsy!

http://www.gazette.net/article/20130...mplate=gazette

Last edited by Zimar; 04-30-2013 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Forgot the link to the article!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
What is this, embarrassing incident #45,345?

Utility bills? Only $20 on alcohol? She's even mediocre at being bad. If you're going to screw over the taxpayer, go big or go home!

And why is the credit card the only one being suspended here? Ms. Fellows is the guilty party, the credit card is just an innocent patsy!

Gazette.Net: Prince George’s school board member has credit card suspended

She didn't go big because her intentions weren't to bilk taxpayers. I look at this..

Quote:
“I believe this is all about a retaliation in reference to me supporting the agenda of the county executive,” said Fellows, referencing her support of Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker III’s bid to realign control over the school system away from the board and under his office.
...and say that if you're going to talk big, make sure your ducks are in a row. You make waves, people are going to pick over everything you do with a fine-toothed comb.

I think their process is backwards. I think they should move to a reimbursement model rather than people charging first and then getting caught with infractions later. You're more honest when your own funds are on the line.

But as controversies go, $700 worth of misused credit card funds is small potatoes. I'm not excusing her actions because she's ultimately responsible for knowing what qualifies as work-related expenses and what doesn't, but this pales in comparison to other more well-known county shenanigans. Nevertheless, I don't think they should have let it past private conversation. Which makes me think this is payback.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
She didn't go big because her intentions weren't to bilk taxpayers. I look at this..

...and say that if you're going to talk big, make sure your ducks are in a row. You make waves, people are going to pick over everything you do with a fine-toothed comb.

I think their process is backwards. I think they should move to a reimbursement model rather than people charging first and then getting caught with infractions later. You're more honest when your own funds are on the line.

But as controversies go, $700 worth of misused credit card funds is small potatoes. I'm not excusing her actions because she's ultimately responsible for knowing what qualifies as work-related expenses and what doesn't, but this pales in comparison to other more well-known county shenanigans. Nevertheless, I don't think they should have let it past private conversation. Which makes me think this is payback.
You know, I know that this is politically motivated and I would give her a pass for being sort of offensively stupid (seriously, she thought her utility bills would qualify as an office expense?), but a huge part her job is fiduciary- monitoring the school budget! We can't afford to have people this clueless in office.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
You know, I know that this is politically motivated and I would give her a pass for being sort of offensively stupid (seriously, she thought her utility bills would qualify as an office expense?), but a huge part her job is fiduciary- monitoring the school budget! We can't afford to have people this clueless in office.
I agree.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:48 PM

45,422 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Who was the official who did the same thing, in multiples, when she was on the School Board? She was one of the stated "reason" for its abolishment several years ago. I think she's Clerk of Courts now.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,436,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Who was the official who did the same thing, in multiples, when she was on the School Board? She was one of the stated "reason" for its abolishment several years ago. I think she's Clerk of Courts now.
Marilyn Bland. I believe she took her family to Disneyworld on her BOE credit card.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 PM

692 posts, read 1,005,064 times
Not endemic to PG. A few years back some woman in MoCo stole money from her HOA and went to jail for it. She too took her family to Disney. Not the same person on the school board though. Some officials steal. Bell, California takes the cake though.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 AM

671 posts, read 1,547,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Not endemic to PG. A few years back some woman in MoCo stole money from her HOA and went to jail for it. She too took her family to Disney. Not the same person on the school board though. Some officials steal. Bell, California takes the cake though.
So what you're saying is...we shouldn't make a big deal about fraud and abuse of taxpayer funds by an elected official in a school district that is the laughingstock of the region--no, country? If Bell, California does it, then meh, let's just chalk it up as 'one of those govvie things...'

Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
The last thing anyone in Maryland state government needs is a taxpayer funded automobile or credit cards for any reason at all. The governor is trying to tax us for rainfall at this point and the always honest politicians of Maryland, state or local, are programmed for graft; I have seen it over and over through the years. I don't know how a state can compete with Illinois for corruption but Maryland gives it a run.
Strip all county and state employees - elected, appointed or hired of all cards/cars. The rest of us don't get them yet foot the bill for them...

Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 AM

671 posts, read 1,547,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The last thing anyone in Maryland state government needs is a taxpayer funded automobile or credit cards for any reason at all. The governor is trying to tax us for rainfall at this point and the always honest politicians of Maryland, state or local, are programmed for graft; I have seen it over and over through the years. I don't know how a state can compete with Illinois for corruption but Maryland gives it a run.
Strip all county and state employees - elected, appointed or hired of all cards/cars. The rest of us don't get them yet foot the bill for them...
I think that as in with the private sector, there is a case to be made that necessitates credit cards for business use. In the case of government, it just needs to be held to an even higher degree of scrutiny. Every transaction made with the card should show up on a public site; that alone would keep politicians honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland