Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 PM

36 posts, read 115,110 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will hopefully be moving to Montgomery County from Baltimore very soon (Finally! I've been looking forever!). Are there any places where I can get some good barbecue ribs and/or pulled pork around here?

A place to get some crabs and crab cakes (jumbo lump) would be great too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
BBQ

UrbanBBQ (White Oak/Rockville)
Red Hot & Blue (Laurel)
Kloby's Smokehouse (Laurel)

Crab Cakes
Don't know of anyplace that compares to Timbuktu in Ellicott City

Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
I think the best crabcakes are the ones you make at home. Just buy the best crabmeat you can afford, and add a little breading, egg and seasoning.

The same applies to steamed crabs. Every place puts too much seasoning on them, so we made them at home.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I see a recommendation for Red, Hot and Blue. I don't think their BBQ Ribs are good at all.
Granted, I haven't eaten at one in over a decade...the ribs sucked -- that's party why.

It's not the best BBQ I ever had but I like Dave's BBQ.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
I personally recommend Urban BBQ. I haven't been to the one in White Oak, but the one in Rockville is good. Really good food there.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I see a recommendation for Red, Hot and Blue. I don't think their BBQ Ribs are good at all.
Granted, I haven't eaten at one in over a decade...the ribs sucked -- that's party why.

It's not the best BBQ I ever had but I like Dave's BBQ.
Thanks. Forgot about Famous Dave's, also in Laurel. Dave's ribs are meatier and their sauces are better, but I like Red Hot & Blue's dry rub seasoning. The ribs taste great dry. But Famous Dave's ribs seem to be the most moist and smoked to a salmon pink hue. I hate to praise a national chain, but its hard to beat their ribs.

Maryland Smokehouse just opened up off UMD College Park campus a few weeks ago. Authentic barbeque menu with all the southern greats. But, their ribs are a bit on the dry and tough side. I emailed the manager/owner and mentioned it. But he didn't reply back. I want them to do well, but if they don't improve the toughness issue, people will forgo the ribs (the most expensive on the menu) and stick with the pulled pork and brisket.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
Branded '72(formerly O'Brien's) in Rockville off of Gude Dr. is the best!

Urban BBQ is pretty good too.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM

36 posts, read 115,110 times
I like Famous Dave's but I really like getting non-chain BBQ. Watching a marathon of that show BBQ Pitmasters didn't help much either. lol

I actually do not make good crab cakes on my own so I definitely need to find a good spot for those and I'm not the type to steam my own crabs either. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make the trek back to Baltimore for that.

I looked at UrbanBBQ's website and everything on their menu sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it. That's the type of spot I was looking for.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
UrbanBBQ is great and the top of my list as well.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
Branded '72(formerly O'Brien's) in Rockville off of Gude Dr. is the best!
Definitely the best for brisket. Their sausage is killer too.

I like Smoke BBQ and the Bethesda Community Store (both in Bethesda) for pork/chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland