Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 AM

12 posts, read 29,035 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the heads up. I will definitely do more research and check out some of the areas mentioned. Again, thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The US Census Bureau found that the average income in our corner of Montgomery Village is $106,000.
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. In my neighborhood, it's almost all dual income families. Plus, just around the corner in Old Town Gaithersburg they're about to open a huge new apartment complex where the rents are $1500+.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
- It doesn't matter if their neighborhoods have half million to million dollar homes.

- It doesn't matter if home values are going up and buildings are being constructed everywhere.

- It doesn't matter if their driveways are filled with Mercedes, BMWs, Lexuses and Audis.

- It doesn't matter if there are expensive private schools everywhere.

- It doesn't matter if the residents frequently travel to Europe or Asia like it's nothing.

- It doesn't matter if ethnic restaurants from practically all over the world are easily accessible.

- It doesn't matter if crime is very low or even nonexistent.

... Because, in spite of all these things, as long as these neighborhoods have too many minorities, they will still be considered "unsafe" and "undesirable" according to some people. This is America. LOL.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:01 AM

490 posts, read 924,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
MoCo is going down hill for sure, way too many illegals and people from DC and PG are moving out there and a good few are bringing that ghetto mentality with them, the same is happening on Rt. 1 in NoVA.

MoCo has good parts for sure but the 20903 and 20904 zip codes of Silver Spring do have some apartment complexes that are the hood. 108 (not the road, but a neighborhood calls itself 108) out in Olney is considered hood because that's where all the black people live out there. Wheaton isn't rough but I can see how some people would call it a barrio. Crime has risen in parts of Gaithersburg and Montgomery Village, robberies are becoming common around Lakeforest mall. MoCo west of I-270 is the nicest overall though.
No offense MAHATMA but your not even from Montgomery County..your from Washington D.C. so how are you going to tell me what going Downhill......once again MONTGOMERY IS A AFFLUENT county just like HOWARD county......a few small BAD APPLES aren't going to spoil the WHOLE County.......if that was the case prices would DROP but they continue to go up

Old 05-12-2013, 01:01 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
No offense MAHATMA but your not even from Montgomery County..your from Washington D.C. so how are you going to tell me what going Downhill......once again MONTGOMERY IS A AFFLUENT county just like HOWARD county......a few small BAD APPLES aren't going to spoil the WHOLE County.......if that was the case prices would DROP but they continue to go up
Sounds familiar!

Old 05-12-2013, 01:06 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
MoCo is going down hill for sure, way too many illegals and people from DC and PG are moving out there and a good few are bringing that ghetto mentality with them, the same is happening on Rt. 1 in NoVA.
So what you're saying is that only the bad elements come from two places in the entire country? MoCo and RT. 1 are impervious to people from Baltimore Philly, NYC, Richmond, Tidewater, and everywhere else and only allow those from DC and PG to move into? And tell me where the illegals and ghetto people who moved into DC and PG come from? They had to come from somewhere. Rt. 1 and MoCo are incapable of birthing their own bad elements?

Old 05-12-2013, 01:12 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
No offense MAHATMA but your not even from Montgomery County..your from Washington D.C. so how are you going to tell me what going Downhill..
Lol because I can do that. It's my opinion and there isn't anything you can do to change it. Montgomery county was better of when it was.. less diverse. If you wanna really know how I feel Maryland as a whole is going down hill because of that liberal, tax hungry governor of yours and if he gets elected in 2016, America is doomed. People in MD and NoVa get so offended when a DC person tell them the truth lol.
You know why DC is improving? Take one guess... lol

Places like Potomac, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Poolesville, Clarksburg, Damascus, etc will all either get better or stay the same because those areas have the wealth and the demographics are similar.

Last edited by Mahatma X; 05-12-2013 at 01:22 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
So what you're saying is that only the bad elements come from two places in the entire country? MoCo and RT. 1 are impervious to people from Baltimore Philly, NYC, Richmond, Tidewater, and everywhere else and only allow those from DC and PG to move into? And tell me where the illegals and ghetto people who moved into DC and PG come from? They had to come from somewhere. Rt. 1 and MoCo are incapable of birthing their own bad elements?
Well in MoCo and NoVA its a mix of former DC and PG people moving out there and two, you have a lot of wannabe thugs out there, PG is going downhill because of DC and DC used to be terrible because of the MLK riots and the after effects. I guess you can say its the Gov't's fault why things are the way they are. If slavery and Jim Crow never existed America either wouldn't have that many black people (or none at all) or if it did things would probably have turned out way different. If someone want's to be technical its a game of blame whitey, but I'm not racist and I don't paint broad brushes on any race of ethnicity. That said, it is what it is I'm not trying to be Louis Farrakhan on here though.

Last edited by Mahatma X; 05-12-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arithian View Post
The problem is, most of the homes in that price range are in the areas people talk negatively about such as Silver Spring, Wheaton, Germantown, Montgomery Village, etc.
Those areas are nothing like Baltimore.

As mentioned when crime does occur, it will generally be property theft or within some distance of a place with a high rate of section 8 holders.

Silver Spring is a very LARGE area which extends from downtown core all the way out to your typical suburbia. There are both nice and not so nice areas but I can't really think of any not-so-nice areas in SS. Wheaton is somewhat gentrifying but it previously was a hot bed for MS13 and other types of crime. Not sure if it is still the case now. Germantown and Mont Village as other said isn't really anything near dangerous. I don't think they are either.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:45 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
Quote:
I guess you can say its the Gov'ts fault why things are the way they are.
For the most part it is. The MoCo government is spending like there is no tomorrow and isn't enforcing the laws such as illegal immigration and this can turn what was once nice communities into unwelcoming areas. Sad but somewhat true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland