Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM

122 posts, read 293,584 times

Advertisements

How is it MD for a retired person? Is it affordable and comfortable? My mother wants to come down, however she doesn't want to live with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerchick View Post
How is it MD for a retired person? Is it affordable and comfortable? My mother wants to come down, however she doesn't want to live with me.
A short answer is that it is not very affordable. If your mom can afford it, there are several condominium complexes for 55+ people in Ellicott City, Laurel, Gambrills and so on. Condos sell for around $250K. Howard and Anne Arundel Counties usually sponsor lots of activities for seniors. Montgomery County has a reduced cost lunch program, and discounted bus and Metro tickets for seniors.

Montgomery County probably has some low-income subsidized apartments with long waiting lists.

On the whole it is not as affordable as Delaware. Maryland has no property tax breaks unless you have very low income. Your Social Security is not taxed, but other income is taxed.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-16-2013 at 02:29 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Since you did not say where in Maryland you mother would live I had to make assumptions, which may have been misleading. There are less expensive condos in Montgomery County, such as $70-80K in Leisure World or Silver Spring. If she were to live on the Eastern Shore or Western Maryland, I am sure she could find reasonable rentals. However, the fact is that the Washington DC area is one of the most expensive areas in the country for a retiree, and there are few breaks.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:51 PM

122 posts, read 293,584 times
Looking around silver spring, north laurel area maybe further in. But not more than an hr from dc.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerchick View Post
Looking around silver spring, north laurel area maybe further in. But not more than an hr from dc.

Welcome to Maryland. What's in your wallet?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 AM

520 posts, read 597,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Maryland has no property tax breaks unless you have very low income. Your Social Security is not taxed, but other income is taxed.
I agree with everything you said except for the property taxes. I get a sizeable (about 30%) break since my condo is my primary residence. This is in Bethesda, and I do know that rates and other policies vary from county to county. Oddly enough, I found that PG rates are higher than Montgomery. Go figure!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM

520 posts, read 597,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Since you did not say where in Maryland you mother would live I had to make assumptions, which may have been misleading. There are less expensive condos in Montgomery County, such as $70-80K in Leisure World or Silver Spring. If she were to live on the Eastern Shore or Western Maryland, I am sure she could find reasonable rentals. However, the fact is that the Washington DC area is one of the most expensive areas in the country for a retiree, and there are few breaks.
Can you really get $ 70-80K condos in Leisure World? I knew some people who bought theirs for around $ 300K, and its not a particularly large one. Downtown Silver Spring is getting very expensive from that facelift. I doubt you can get anything in the DC area for that little.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
I agree with everything you said except for the property taxes. I get a sizeable (about 30%) break since my condo is my primary residence. This is in Bethesda, and I do know that rates and other policies vary from county to county. Oddly enough, I found that PG rates are higher than Montgomery. Go figure!
Is the break from the Homestead Exemption or a County low-income Circuit Breaker (that's what it's called in Calvert)?

I ask because the Homestead Exemption is available to all primary residence owners regardless of income after living in the residence for a year. The Circuit Breaker is aimed at low income seniors and, at least in Calvert, has to be repaid when the property is sold or inherited.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,719 times
Quote:
Yeah, but that's at the whim of the county government. They could decide to get rid of it tomorrow, and you'd have no recourse.

OP, as long as your mother does not mind the rat race around DC and the high cost of living, then she'll be fine. If she's on a fixed income and is worried about future expenditures, then Maryland is probably not for her. Our taxes only trend in one direction.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Not so surprising. As mentioned several times on this forum, PG County has hardly any industry, therefore nearly all its income must come from residential property taxes. Montgomery and Fairfax counties are very different, and have PLENTY of high-tech industries as revenue sources. Furthermore, the average home in PG County is probably worth less than in other suburban counties, and therefore PGC's RATE must be set higher, in order to yield the same revenue per household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland