Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 15,100 times

Advertisements

Hi all. This is my first post. I searched the forums for similar posts but didn't really find answers. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm a 30 year old gay Asian (gaysian?) who recently accepted a position in Beltsville in order to further my career, but was thinking of living in Mount Rainier. I was never one to be into living in the city; I'm a suburb boy ha. But since I won't know anyone down in the area, and I always tell myself I need more gay friends, I wanted to maybe make a change of my living surroundings.

Is Mount Rainier really as gay-friendly as I've heard? What is there to do?

Is it safe (and I understand that that's all relative)?

Looking at some pictures and satellite maps, it seems to be a lot of single family homes nestled in lots of trees; not a bad thing in my opinion. Is that what it's like?

Would renting a place in an apartment complex be ok, or would renting a house be better?

Thanks again for any help/information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 AM

9 posts, read 41,762 times
I live in Brentwood (town adjacent to Mount Rainier). Yes there are a lot of of gay people in the area, many gay families. Mount Rainier is in the midst of a revitalization push, so you will see a lot of development in the "downtown" area in the future (around Rhode Island Ave and 34th st). Currently there's Glut food co-op (best co-op in the area), Spotlight Cafe (coffee shop) and a smattering of other small retail shops and carry-outs. There isn't any nightlife to speak of, you will have to go into DC for that. There are definitely crime issues so you have to keep your wits about you, but the city has its own police force and most of the crime seems to be concentrated around the large apartment complexes (Queenstown and Kaywood Gardens). I would recommend renting a house if you're able, although some of the smaller apartment complexes within the residential neighborhoods might be fine.

Last edited by mcjb2; 12-16-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjb2 View Post
I live in Brentwood (town adjacent to Mount Rainier). Yes there are a lot of of gay people in the area, many gay families. Mount Rainier is in the midst of a revitalization push, so you will see a lot of development in the "downtown" area in the future (around Rhode Island Ave and 34th st). Currently there's Glut food co-op (best co-op in the area), Spotlight Cafe (coffee shop) and a smattering of other small retail shops and carry-outs. There isn't any nightlife to speak of, you will have to go into DC for that. There are definitely crime issues so you have to keep your wits about you, but the city has its own police force and most of the crime seems to be concentrated around the large apartment complexes (Queenstown and Kaywood Gardens). I would recommend renting a house if you're able, although some of the smaller apartment complexes within the residential neighborhoods might be fine.

Hi mcjb2. Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the northern part of Mount Rainier, where those apartment complexes are located, should be avoided? How's the Rainier Avenue / 34th Street area? Thanks again.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Yeah I probably wouldn't live north of Arundel road (Queenstown apartments), but I think anything south of that is fine including Rainier Ave and 34th. There also tends to be more crime around Rhode Island Ave (Rt 1) but they've done a lot to clean it up and it's better than it once was.
The Mount Rainier police chief keeps a blog where you can read about incidents.
MRPD Chief's Discussion

Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjb2 View Post
Yeah I probably wouldn't live north of Arundel road (Queenstown apartments), but I think anything south of that is fine including Rainier Ave and 34th. There also tends to be more crime around Rhode Island Ave (Rt 1) but they've done a lot to clean it up and it's better than it once was.
The Mount Rainier police chief keeps a blog where you can read about incidents.
MRPD Chief's Discussion
Hey, thanks again. I'm guessing since there are (gay) families (with kiddies?) living in the area, it's relatively safe? Seems like mostly theft.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 AM

Yes, it's relatively safe and overall pretty sleepy. There are many families with children and the kids walk the streets during the day and play in the playgrounds etc. Even though it's a suburb, it's the most densely populated city in Maryland and as such there are many of the same challenges of living in an urban areas (car break-ins, car thefts, robberies, burglaries) but things are improving. There are a lot of houses getting fixed up and new people moving in, and as the economy improves the pace will likely pick up. Another place to consider is the City of Hyattsville as there are a fair amount of gay families there as well. It's a little more affluent and possibly safer with a bunch of new retail set to open in April (EYA's Arts District Hyattsville). Mount Rainier is artier/funkier/grittier/cheaper/closer to DC, so it depends what you're looking for. Hyattsville, Mount Rainier, Brentwood and North Brentwood are all part of the Gateway Arts District and are trying to revitalize the area by spurring arts and entertainment related development. There are a lot of artists who live and work in these towns due to the cheaper rents and proximity to DC.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 PM

13 posts, read 35,069 times
Hello: i saw this thread and was wondering ==is there any public transit from Mt Rainier to commute to downtown DC other than the bus on RI Ave? that must take forever.

thanks

Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 PM

If you live on the north side of town you can walk or bike to the West Hyattsville metro. Many people take the bus to either West Hyattsville or Brookland (red line).

Old 09-25-2013, 11:11 AM

31 posts, read 57,696 times
Default Mount Rainier

I am looking for some thoughts about moving to Mt. Rainier. I am between that area and the Arts District/Riverdale Park. The latter has very little inventory while Mt. Rainer has a plethora of options. Some of the houses are very inexpensive and perfectly renovated. Would anyone consider this area particularly walkable? Is it family friendly? I have heard it is very gay friendly and I find that very appealing. Thoughts?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afer1500 View Post
I am looking for some thoughts about moving to Mt. Rainier. I am between that area and the Arts District/Riverdale Park. The latter has very little inventory while Mt. Rainer has a plethora of options. Some of the houses are very inexpensive and perfectly renovated. Would anyone consider this area particularly walkable? Is it family friendly? I have heard it is very gay friendly and I find that very appealing. Thoughts?

There are future plans to extend the Arts District redevelopment through Mt. Rainier. Technically, the Arts District starts at Mt. Rainier. I would say that some pockets are family friendly. There are tons of parks. Downtown Mt. Rainier is very walkable, but not much to see there yet. Walkability increases as you go north along RT 1 into Hyattsville past the park area. Below is a project that will soon be underway to help revitalize that part of RT. 1., thus making it more walkable. The area is only getting better. Those who are buying now are buying at the very early stages of this revitalization. But in 10 years or so, things will look drastically different along Rhode Island Avenue in DC all the way to the Beltway in College Park.

Read More: Neighborhood Development Company | Mt. Rainier Gateway ; City of Mount Rainier Maryland MD, Gateway Arts Community, Historic Gateway Community, City of Mount Rainier Maryland MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland