Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 09:41 AM

282 posts, read 322,330 times

Advertisements

Is that maintenance-utility type building directly adjacent to the hotel going to come down in one of the next phases (the one with the five smokestacks on top)? That building looks horrendous in general but more so next to a brand new hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 09:54 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
Is that maintenance-utility type building directly adjacent to the hotel going to come down in one of the next phases (the one with the five smokestacks on top)? That building looks horrendous in general but more so next to a brand new hotel.
In the original East Campus plans, it was supposed to be converted to a music hall (Birchmere). Much like the power plant in Baltimore was converted to a museum. But of course those plans have been scrapped three times over. Perhaps it will still become a music hall.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times
http://cpemplogin.collegeparkmd.gov/...R_Aug_2014.pdf

Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Say goodbye to the Knox Boxes:

Knox Boxes to be demolished in College Park | USA TODAY College

I didn't realize there was a Phase 2 in the works at The Enclave:

The Enclave Phase 2 - The Diamondback : Video Gallery

The retail space at the Enclave I still sits empty. I think the owners should try to lure the Green Turtle back to PG County.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post

The retail space at the Enclave I still sits empty. I think the owners should try to lure the Green Turtle back to PG County.
I think the retail space is still empty because that part of RT. 1 is still designed for cars. Other than the residents who live there, not many, there's really no appealing way to get to the retail space from other parts of College Park on foot. The sidewalks are 4ft wide near the property. And even if the sidewalks were wide, there not much in North College Park to walk to.

For retail to flourish at the Enclave, they need to redevelop that part of RT. 1 to allow for more cycle and pedestrian access and they need to build phase 2 which would bring more foot traffic. Also, development needs to occur between Rt. 193 and the Beltway to increase foot traffic on RT. 1. that's coming with the Monument Village project and the one across the street. There should be way more foot traffic from those places going down to downtown College Park.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:09 PM

Default August College Park Business Beat

Here is the latest College Park Business Beat. Notice the pic of Kangnam BBQ on the inside. Looks like pretty nice digs. open 24/7 on most days. Beakfast and lunch. Huge bar area.

College Park Business Beat

Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Here is the latest College Park Business Beat. Notice the pic of Kangnam BBQ on the inside. Looks like pretty nice digs. open 24/7 on most days. Beakfast and lunch. Huge bar area.

College Park Business Beat
I yearn for a smal town feel with all this new development. Those massive high rise apartment buildings just don't give that feeling.....it is, what it is....still, when I was at Penn State, now thats a cool college town...same with Knoxville. Oh well....

Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post

I'm still haunted, what is it, 30 years ago?? that I left my suit jacket there after a Pledge Dance, my parents were so pissed at me. I went back for it.....nowhere to be found. I think my date through it out.....

Old 08-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
I yearn for a smal town feel with all this new development. Those massive high rise apartment buildings just don't give that feeling.....it is, what it is....still, when I was at Penn State, now thats a cool college town...same with Knoxville. Oh well....
True. But does that model really fit in an urban setting?

Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
True. But does that model really fit in an urban setting?
I think developers go for the most they can build, using minimal materials. I think city planners pass projects because they need the product. That's not a model that produces a warm fuzzy college town....IMO. That said, possibly anything is better than what is/was there.....

The Book Exchange is prime turf, so we shall see how that turns out along with the hotel. Either way, its going to change the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland