Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 04:14 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Now it's a luxury hotel. Hmmmm. Would love to see the details for why they are calling it luxury. And what level? Four, five star?

Quote:
Over objections about the fairness of the process, the state Board of Public Works approved a land deal Wednesday that would allow a developer to build a luxury hotel and conference center at the University of Maryland, College Park.

Read more: State board approves land deal for College Park hotel - baltimoresun.com

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 03-24-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Now it's a luxury hotel. Hmmmm. Would love to see the details for why they are calling it luxury. And what level? Four, five star?

Read more: State board approves land deal for College Park hotel - baltimoresun.com
You know they like to exaggerate. Just like when media states that a place will have upscale restaurants lol.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:40 AM

Default Mapping the Route 1 Renaissance

Mapping the Route 1 Renaissance

Quote:
The Hyattsville Wire decided recently to look at all the major projects happening along Route 1 from Mount Rainier to College Park.

We found 13 projects ranging, from south to north:
Read more: Mapping the Route 1 Renaissance |

Old 04-07-2014, 12:07 PM

282 posts, read 322,330 times
Article on new hotel. 11stories, multiple restaurants and retail with construction to begin next spring. I like the comment by Loh that CP will be unrecognizable in 10-12 years. I sure hope so...

Route 1 hotel, conference construction set for spring 2015 - Campus - The Diamondback Online

Old 04-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
CP will be unrecognizable in 10-12 years. I sure hope so...

That is a true statement. If it weren't for the recession, CP would be unrecognizable in half the time. There are so many projects that are under construction or are about to start, I think by the end 2016 things will look pretty different along Rt. 1.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,223 times
Adelphi_Sky, you have a strong opinion and statistics of our "blighted" neighborhood. Do you have history here? Have you lived in or near College Pk, if so, how many years? Would you be so kind to source your statistics (e.g. "30 years to catch up")?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGregoryBlog1 View Post
Adelphi_Sky, you have a strong opinion and statistics of our "blighted" neighborhood. Do you have history here? Have you lived in or near College Pk, if so, how many years? Would you be so kind to source your statistics (e.g. "30 years to catch up")?
I didn't say College Park was blighted. Ask the president of the university and students to see if they are happy with the way their college town looks along RT. 1 compared to other less prominent universities and college towns and their main streets.

There are too many blighted properties within a 3 mile stretch from 410 to I-95. Especially for a top research institution miles away from the capital of the world and one of the most educated populations in the country. I've been to other college towns with smaller economies that looked better. Am I proud of that? Of course not. I think College Park can be better and I see that finally happening. But today, as I grabbed breakfast at the bagel shop downtown, I wondered what Big ten fans who may have never seen College Park before would think of what we have to offer visiting teams and their fans. Today, very little.

I'm a homeowner of 16 years on the Adelphi side of the UMD Golf Course.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:48 PM

282 posts, read 322,330 times
If there we're only 100 more people out there with the same passion about CP as Adelphi...

Agree completely Adelphi. Big Ten folks will draw the same conclusion as ACC folks - the town is a dump. But, as you pointed out, things are changing and people will start to notice. In 5-10 years CP will be much better. If the vision is executed, in 20-25 years it could be a really great DC suburb and college town. Patience and momentum. Once the MD book exchange, knox village and hotel go up, downtown will start to have a different feel - and that is important to start changing perceptions, which typically lag reality. And those three will be complete in 3 years. Hopefully plans for the other big blocks (namely the shopping center), and the other east campus parcels will be announced in the next year or two.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Mapping the Route 1 Renaissance

Read more: Mapping the Route 1 Renaissance |

This is good, but some of these are old. Do you have any updates? Also, is Mt. Rainier ripe for residential flipping?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 AM

Some more news trickling out about the new hotel in College Park. It makes me want to see the renderings. So far, here's what we know;

1. 4-star hotel
2. 300 rooms
3. Full-service restaurant
4. Retail shops
5. Pool (can't say that any of the other hotels in College Park has a pool?)
6. 11-stories high
7. Glass facades
8. Conference space
9. Business incubator space (whatever that looks like)
10. Delivery - Fall 2017.

All on 3 acres. Also, I wonder if this project spurs other projects on East Campus in the next few years while this is under construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland