Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
No it wasnt....
Of course not because You do not support Suburban Maryland being Business Freindly like your neck of the woods of Northern Virginia.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 07:23 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Some folx get into their feelings at the thought of PG County being equal or greater than Fairfax County in Business/Economic Growth thats why they are trying to hustle that "Development near transit Smart Growth" Bull Sh-- to derail support for making PG County(Suburban Maryland) easier to attract Major Businesses to relocate to the Maryland Suburbs........
Take your wildest dreams about growing business in PG County so that it even rivals NoVa and realize that the amount of real estate within the Beltway can support it. It has been shown by many that there is such a lack of development inside the Beltway in PG county that growth can be sustained for decades without going beyond the Beltway. That's all smart growth advocates are saying.

There's no need for the Westphalia's and the Konterra's at this point because of all the wasted potential within the Beltway around metro stations. Westphalia and Konterra will be islands unto themselves not connected to anything. But I understand that they are remnants of the 1960's way of creating neighborhoods. Farm land is cheaper.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Take your wildest dreams about growing business in PG County so that it even rivals NoVa and realize that the amount of real estate within the Beltway can support it.
I call BS on that because it would have been fruition by now and the only thing that you can show for it is some Expensive Apartment/Condos and small retail with no Upscale Retail Enclosed Shopping Mall(PG Plaza does not have the same retail as Pentagon City Mall), No Office Density, and No Major Hotels.

Quote:
It has been shown by many that there is such a lack of development inside the Beltway in PG county that growth can be sustained for decades without going beyond the Beltway. That's all smart growth advocates are saying.
Smart Growth aka anti-Growth for Suburban Maryland are a bunch of Fat Liars because if growth can sustain for decades inside the PG County Beltway then it would have been that way when Arlington/Alexandria began building dense Office Growth beck in the 1970's. Again the property taxes are Far more expensive inside the PG County Beltway than Arlington/Alexandria which is why Arlington/Alexandria have been and continuing to succeed in attracting Businesses and Economic Growth....

Quote:
There's no need for the Westphalia's and the Konterra's at this point because of all the wasted potential within the Beltway around metro stations. Westphalia and Konterra will be islands unto themselves not connected to anything. But I understand that they are remnants of the 1960's way of creating neighborhoods. Farm land is cheaper.
And that right there proves that you have no Interest in Expanding Business and Economic Growth in PG County/Suburban Maryland and I would not be surprised if you secretly support Virginia continuing to Out Pace Suburban Maryland in Business and Economic Growth.......

Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 AM

1,261 posts, read 694,583 times
Wouldnt Konterra be the new town center? I remember when Reston Town Center was built, it was an island, now look....its town center!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Wouldnt Konterra be the new town center? I remember when Reston Town Center was built, it was an island, now look....its town center!

Actual Laurel already has a historical town center. But yes, Konterra would be a "town center" but still an island as far as being self contained and not connected to mass transit. Much like people blame National Harbor for being. Will it always be that way? I don't think so. I think eventually there will be some type or rapid bus transit or light/heavy rail extension that would serve Konterra.

To tie this thread back to the main OP, plenty of opportunity still exists inside the Beltway in College Park, Riverdale, Hyattsville, and Mt. Rainier that can be sustained for decades.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 AM

1,261 posts, read 694,583 times
Quote:
Actual Laurel already has a historical town center. But yes, Konterra would be a "town center" but still an island as far as being self contained and not connected to mass transit. Much like people blame National Harbor for being. Will it always be that way? I don't think so. I think eventually there will be some type or rapid bus transit or light/heavy rail extension that would serve Konterra.

To tie this thread back to the main OP, plenty of opportunity still exists inside the Beltway in College Park, Riverdale, Hyattsville, and Mt. Rainier that can be sustained for decades.
Isnt Konterra close to the new ICC? I am learning that area, so forgive me, but I just drove around there yesterday.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Isnt Konterra close to the new ICC? I am learning that area, so forgive me, but I just drove around there yesterday.

The ICC will create a southern border for the project. In this rendering, the ICC is the road going left to right at the bottom.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:07 PM

282 posts, read 322,705 times
College Park city council to discuss redev of College Park downtown. Targeting the three or four blocks south of the south gate to guillford.

Also mentioned rt 1 pedestrian safety, which unfortunately is back in the news after a student was struck and killed yesterday. They need to find a way to move traffic off that stretch, slow traffic, widen sidewalks and better mark crossings. Always has been dangerous to cross.

Council to Discuss Downtown Re-Development Concept Plan | KabirCares.org

Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
College Park city council to discuss redev of College Park downtown. Targeting the three or four blocks south of the south gate to guillford.

Also mentioned rt 1 pedestrian safety, which unfortunately is back in the news after a student was struck and killed yesterday. They need to find a way to move traffic off that stretch, slow traffic, widen sidewalks and better mark crossings. Always has been dangerous to cross.

Council to Discuss Downtown Re-Development Concept Plan | KabirCares.org
I think the State of Maryland/PG County should seriously consider converting Kenilworth Ave into a parkway or a 3 lane road with few lights like Route 29 and allow parking on Route 1 from Guilford St to Greenbelt Rd. It would give that section of Route 1 an M street-like feel and possibly encourage more pedestrian friendly development, which I believe is the ultimate goal of the university and the City of College Park.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I think the State of Maryland/PG County should seriously consider converting Kenilworth Ave into a parkway or a 3 lane road with few lights like Route 29 and allow parking on Route 1 from Guilford St to Greenbelt Rd. It would give that section of Route 1 an M street-like feel and possibly encourage more pedestrian friendly development, which I believe is the ultimate goal of the university and the City of College Park.

I agree. Traffic along that stretch should be slowed down considerably. Rt. 1 resembles a small freeway right now with cars zooming by at 50+mph. The speed limit for downtown College Park to Greenbelt RD should be 25mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland