Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,026,512 times

Advertisements

I will be dragged kicking and screaming into being green. I don't recycle, and sometimes I want to put my carbon footprint on some elected official's and/or tree hugger's butt.

I don't shop as much as I used to in Montgomery County because they're practically making you use your own bags or you get charged extra. I'm also not buying as much in DC for that very same reason. As much as I can I shop at stores that will pay the cost of the bag for me. I am NOT paying extra for a frigging bag. And I will do my best NOT to support that in any way.

Now, I just happen to read in the paper that starting Jan. 1 people in Bowie can no longer use plastic bags for yard waste. So no more leaves collected in trash bags. They'll have to use the large upright paper bags. New rule change at the county waste center place where Bowie takes its yard waste.

Well, the last time I looked at those tall paper leave bags you can't cinch them and they don't have a top closure. So you either have to NOT fill the bag up all the way and ROLL the top down, meaning you'll use more bags., or not fill it up and leave enough space to staple the bag shut...so that IF you put the bag out the night before it's not blown over, and all the leaves get blown out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,797,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I will be dragged kicking and screaming into being green. I don't recycle, and sometimes I want to put my carbon footprint on some elected official's and/or tree hugger's butt.

I don't shop as much as I used to in Montgomery County because they're practically making you use your own bags or you get charged extra. I'm also not buying as much in DC for that very same reason. As much as I can I shop at stores that will pay the cost of the bag for me. I am NOT paying extra for a frigging bag. And I will do my best NOT to support that in any way.

Now, I just happen to read in the paper that starting Jan. 1 people in Bowie can no longer use plastic bags for yard waste. So no more leaves collected in trash bags. They'll have to use the large upright paper bags. New rule change at the county waste center place where Bowie takes its yard waste.

Well, the last time I looked at those tall paper leave bags you can't cinch them and they don't have a top closure. So you either have to NOT fill the bag up all the way and ROLL the top down, meaning you'll use more bags., or not fill it up and leave enough space to staple the bag shut...so that IF you put the bag out the night before it's not blown over, and all the leaves get blown out.
I don't know man. It does not take a lot to annoy you. I find the tall bags to be just fine.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:31 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,584,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I don't know man. It does not take a lot to annoy you. I find the tall bags to be just fine.

Same here. The paper bags work fine for me. Never had the blown leaf issue. And my bags sometimes sit for a few days. Even in rain.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:29 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,916,987 times
I find using plastic bags for yard waste annoying and they don't decompose so it makes sense not to fill yard waste landfills with them.

I think it's going to be extremely difficult to avoid the 10 cent "bag tax". I know we use more fabric bags now at grocery stores and I have read where it is making a huge difference in how many are being thrown away. I think the bag tax goes to cleaning up the bay and rivers around DC.

All seems okay to me

Old 12-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The paper bags work fine for me. Never had the blown leaf issue. And my bags sometimes sit for a few days. Even in rain.
So you're saying I can put an open top bag out at the curb at 11p for an 8a pickup -- overnight -- and not have to worry about it falling over or being blown over and the leaves coming out?

Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 PM

45,467 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post

Trust me when I tell you, "You ain't seen nuthin' yet".

Old 12-18-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Believe me I know. Aaaahh the tentacles of government.....
Very disheartening sometimes.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:20 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,903,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Anytime you red about green, sustainability, ICLEI, Plan Maryland or anything else having to do with global warming or climate garbage you are dealing with the United Nations Agenda 21.

Have fun with the rest of your lives.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:43 AM

581 posts, read 1,173,332 times
LOL, UN conspiracy theories are my favorite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland