Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 5,134 times

Advertisements

Hello I was wondering if someone could help me out. My husband and I along with our children are planning on moving to Maryland from charlotte NC and we was wondering where is the best place to live in Prince George county with the lowest crime, affordable homes and great schools. I did some research and read that Bowie and Fort Washington are nice places to live, we are kind if looking for diversity. Also Mintgomery a County which I know can be pretty pricey but are there really nice affordable homes in montgomery county? We have two little boys, 9 and 12 and a daughter that is in her first year of college. Also where are the most jobs at in Maryland. Thanks would appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:08 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbielove5 View Post
Hello I was wondering if someone could help me out. My husband and I along with our children are planning on moving to Maryland from charlotte NC and we was wondering where is the best place to live in Prince George county with the lowest crime, affordable homes and great schools. I did some research and read that Bowie and Fort Washington are nice places to live, we are kind if looking for diversity. Also Mintgomery a County which I know can be pretty pricey but are there really nice affordable homes in montgomery county? We have two little boys, 9 and 12 and a daughter that is in her first year of college. Also where are the most jobs at in Maryland. Thanks would appreciate the help.
A lot of what you are asking is going to be subjective.

Schools in PG, even in Bowie, are relative bad compared to the rest of the region. When you ask for good schools, I would recommend you look at site like schooldigger.com to get an idea of how the school system as a whole compare in this region from area to area. General rule of thumb, elementary schools in Fort Washington and Bowie can be pretty comparable to other areas, but the middle schools in PG County with the exception of one or two are not great. In Fort Washington your middle schools would be Accokeek Academy and Oxon Hill Middle, while in Bowie there is Benjamin Tasker Middle and Samuel Olge Middle.

When you say affordable, you have to define that. What price range are you looking in? Buying or renting? I know for NC, Charlotte prices are up there, but it's not going to be anything like you will find up here. It's much more expensive here.

Maryland has a lot of job centers, but primarily most will commute to DC for work. In MD though you have a few government agencies in parts of Prince George's County as well as Montgomery County. You will also find that some Marylanders will travel out to Northern VA for work as well. Also Baltimore and the surrounding areas have some job centers as well but working in Baltimore should be considered really if you plan on living closer to there otherwise your commute can be rough.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 5,134 times
Thank you justtitans, we are looking to purchase a home, while we will rent this one out in charlotte. We are trying to purchase a home that price around and about 350k and I know that is cheap for Montgomery although we have had realtors send us homes in Montgomery for that price, higher and lower and from what I see the homes can be pretty pricey. I appreciate what you stated about the schools because I need good schools for my two boys. The schools here in charlotte were pretty good when we moved here but they seem to be going down. Because of the over crowdedness. Charlotte is a great place to live with beautiful weather and cheaper houses but the house prices has risen. But the job market is not good here, at least not for me and my husband. I know that the weather in MD is much colder but I am use to that because I am originally from NY. But that does not bother me, my husband loves the cold and the boys love the snow, something we do not get a lot of here in charlotte. Thank you so much and anything else that you can add that will help me out will greatly appreciated.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:32 AM

I'm PM-ing you, check your inbox.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbielove5 View Post
I appreciate what you stated about the schools because I need good schools for my two boys. The schools here in charlotte were pretty good when we moved here but they seem to be going down.
Do you have to live in Prince George County? I hesitate to recommend any schools in Prince George County. I'd suggest you look at northern Calvert County if that is compatible with where your husband would work. There are commuter buses if he would be in downtown DC.

You also asked where the most jobs in Maryland are. There are numerous job centers: the District itself, the I-270 corridor from Rockville to Germantown and the Bethesda/NIH cluster. In Prince George County, there are federal jobs at Andrews AFB, Suitland, Greenbelt and College Park. Many Maryland residents also commute to Tysons Corner and Reston in Northern Virginia.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:24 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Yeah, it's hard to recommend an area to look for housing without knowing where you're going to be working. There are tons of job centers spread across the Baltimore-Washington area. You're right that Montgomery is an expensive county to live in, but there are still plenty of houses/townhouses in your price range (they'll be older and/or smaller and/or further away from the cultural/job core of DC and its first-ring suburbs. But again, what area/county makes sense really depends on where you work. Traffic is not a minor issue for the region.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
I'm in Bowie quite a bit and there seems to be a large number of middle or upper middle class black families there.

Would they choose to live in PG County if the schools were bad? I wonder what they think of the schools.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm in Bowie quite a bit and there seems to be a large number of middle or upper middle class black families there.

Would they choose to live in PG County if the schools were bad? I wonder what they think of the schools.
I think we have learned on here that schools can be very subjective with most people. Some people see that the onus is on them to help their children become successful while others see it as though the schools should do more. You also have to consider some people who send their kids to private school. I don't know if there is a clear answer based on the population in Bowie, but I believe Bowie has other things to offer, but it just depends on how people view school performance impacting their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland