Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 05:04 PM

10 posts, read 17,913 times

Advertisements

Hello! I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback regarding choosing a town to move in the Maryland/DC Suburb area. My husband will be commuting to K Street in DC 3 days/week and will have to travel to Timonium, MD 1-2 days/week. We have two children (4 and 2 y/o) and our priority is to find an excellent school system (public) that will minimize the (awful) commute. We have been referred to Columbia, Ellicott City and surrounding towns in Howard County. I am interested in Gaithersburg, but I think the commute to Timonium might be exceptionally difficult. Does anyone have any advice about whether or not Gaithersburg could be an option or if they recommend or can comment on any other towns? We hope to rent for the first 6 months while we look for a home (430-500K range).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Gaithersburg is a nice place, but it is not good for your situation. Howard County or Baltimore County is really the only good choice.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:48 PM

673 posts, read 1,187,187 times
Annapolis is a nice place too, easy access to Route 50 going to DC and I-97 to Baltimore area.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:27 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,932 times
That's a nasty commute. Howard County (Columbia, MD) is best. Gaithersburg would add an hour or more to your commute. Annapolis MD is an option too. Also look at Arundel Mills and Ft. Meade, MD.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace2015 View Post
My husband will be commuting to K Street in DC 3 days/week
and will have to travel to Timonium, MD 1-2 days/week.
How long will he have to endure the double up?
How long will he tolerate it before HE does something to change it?

Until such a change happens... live close to the 3 day/wk job location.
Endure the 1-2days as long as he has to.
And hold off the buy location choice until then as well.

Quote:
Does anyone have any advice about whether or not Gaithersburg could be an option...
Nope. That would only be worse.

Quote:
... or if they recommend or can comment on any other towns?
Greenbelt on the MARC line.

Zip in/out of DC 3+ days a week.
Tolerate the Timonium schlep 1-2 days.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-28-2014 at 07:04 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 07:27 PM

Thank you - that's what I was trying to decide... if we should liver closer to DC and "zip in/out of DC" (not sure if that can ever happen anywhere 3 days/week and "tolerate the Timonium schlep" 1-2 days/week. Does anyone know how long it could be to get from Gaithersburg to Timonium? I'm not sure how the schools are in Greenbelt, but will check greatschools.com. We have a child starting kindergarten next year.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:53 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace2015 View Post
Does anyone know how long it could be to get from Gaithersburg to Timonium?
It's over 50 miles. The time varies with traffic. There is no practical shortcut.
http://goo.gl/maps/5L0nk
Quote:
I'm not sure how the schools are in Greenbelt...
They're fine. Some are great.
Robert Goddard Montessori School

Old 12-28-2014, 09:09 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Schools in Greenbelt are not that great. Howard is much better.

Gaithersburg to Timmomium will take more than 90 minutes I would guess. There is no direct route. You either have to go south to 495 in horrible morning traffic, and then head east to 95 though more horrible traffic, and then north where you likely hit more traffc on 695 going around Baltimore. Heading through the city isn't recommended. You could also head north on 270 to 27 to 70 east. There will be plenty of traffic that way too. Then there's MD-200 which is really nice, but it takes you to 95 just north of 495. Then you have to deal with traffic the rest of the way from there. You could take Muncaster Mill Rd to ______rd to 108 to 32 to 29 or 95. Lots of traffic that way too. Do you get the point yet? Gaithersburg is a bad choice for your situation.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,932 times
You can take Marc or Amtrak to DC which is the easier part of your commute if you live near the Marc train; Ft. Meade, Odenton, etc. But Howard County schools are the better schools.

Also consider, if you live in Columbia the Timonium to Columbia commute can be about 30 minutes in traffic on a good day, maybe 45-an hour if traffic is heavy. There is a commuter bus in Columbia that goes to DC.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:29 AM

Thank you, I think we are leaning towards the Columbia area. The Howard County schools are rated well and right now he is taking the commuter bus from Columbia to DC which makes for a longer (but stress free) commute. The 2 days he goes to Timonium have not been bad - 30 to 40 minutes. I really appreciate all the help. The move to this area was very unexpected. (I'm still living in Connecticut with our two kids) and it is helpful to get any and all feedback from those of you who know the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland