Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:47 PM

217 posts, read 752,121 times

Advertisements

Truth,
Look at your map and soak in the reality of the small portion of PGC that actually lies within the beltway.

You don't live here and have probably not spent more than a week here. Statistics are for sports, not living conditions. It is what it is here and none of it fits into the narrow boundaries of the fact filled realm of your mind. Iscalder and others may be tickled by your lists but why is the county the way it is to begin with? Should we pave the entire land mass and start anew?

Have your statistics show a way the quality of life for all citizens is changed for the better, even those that don't fall into your millionaire club. I realize the capitalist mindset of - I,ME,MINE - and it is demonstrated in these threads fully.
I said it once - millionaires can live in a sewer and it still smells like crap.
What good is their money if they are still standing, shoulder to shoulder knee deep in in poop, with those that subsist on cat food? You cannot kill them for being impoverished. Those that attend church in this county love to build brand new opulent churches - the true reason for tithing is not for those buildings - it is to help the less fortunate. Do any of you ever think about that? There are more huge churches in this county - many close to me - than any place I have lived. Are poverty and crime rates partly due to those churches? Where do those buildings fit into the millionaire club. A lot of those that tithed weren't in that circle.

Before you ask, no, I do not attend these churches not do I tithe to them. I simply know of that from where they have strayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 06:59 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,382 times
"From reading it seems a lot of the people grew up in a lot of the poor areas and had awful experiences, which is probably to be expected. However, why is it that you all think your experience is representative of everyone's in the county? Why haven't you stopped and thought to yourself I grew up poor, in a high crime area? Why is it always point the finger at the entire county and blame everyone? Why not grapple with the truth. If you grew up in the ghettos of the inner beltway did you expect it not to be crime ridden and awful?"

I grew up in Langley Park (PG side). I never considered it a ghetto. I don't come on here and ever talk about bad experiences growing up in PG (inside beltway). I still champion PG. I've also lived in Hyattsville and Riverdale and still don't feel it necessary to criticize the county. It all comes down to personal experience. Some had it bad, some didn't. One person's experience is what they can relate to others on this forum. True, they can try to make the scenario of their life the life of all in PG. The reason we all bicker back and forth on this forum is because we know PG isn't all good or all bad and we call out the generalizers. I don't think anyone takes any one person's word as gospel. Remember, all the facts and figures won't take away an individuals view of "their little world." If you don't live it, you can't understand it.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 PM

564 posts, read 892,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Doubltunman, thanks for challenging this. I'll provide the statistics to see if this is true or just your racist belief. Have you ever stopped to wonder why the outside of the beltway is crime free and safe? Racist, like you that throw around these sorts of allegations are the main reason i post facts.

Homicide Information

Total 121 in 2007

Inner Beltway
Outer Beltway

Location of Homicides and Percentage Inside of the Beltway

Oxon Hill/Glassmanor 20 or 20.8% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
Suitland SilverHill 11 or 11.4% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
District Heights/Capital Heights 12 or 12.5% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
Seat Pleasant/Fairmont Heights/Glenarden/Palmer Park 22 or 22.9% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
Bladensburg/Mont Rainer/Landover Hills/Riverdale/ 19 or 19% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
Chillum/Hyattsville 4 or 4% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
Langley Park 8 or 8.3% of all murders inside the beltway occure here

Total 96 Murders or 80% of all murders

Location of Murders Outside of the Beltway

Laurel 4 or 16% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Beltsville 1 or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Calvert 1 or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Greenbelt 1 or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Lahnham 2 or 8% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Springdale 2 or 8% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Largo/Kettering 3 or 12% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Freindly 3 or 12% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Clinton 6 or 24% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Marlton 1 (suicide) or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Rosaryville 1 (suicide) or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Upper Marlboro 1 or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Bowie 2 or 8% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Accokeek 1 or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here

Total 25 or 20% of all murders

Poverty Rates of Inner Beltway

Oxon Hill/Glassmanor/Temple Hills 8.8% in poverty
Suitland SilverHill 10.7% in poverty
District Heights/Capital Heights Seat Pleasant/FairmontHeights/Glenarden/Palmer Park 9.3% in poverty
Bladensburg/Mont Rainer/Landover Hills/Riverdale/ 11.8% in poverty
Chillum/Hyattsville 10.2% in poverty
Langley Park 16.8% in poverty

Prince George’s County Maryland crime maps

I guess after reading most of the forums in relation to Prince George's County why is it that you all want to lump all of the Counyt into one poverty striken hell hole?

From reading it seems a lot of the people grew up in a lot of the poor areas and had awful experiences, which is probably to be expected. However, why is it that you all think your experience is representative of everyone's in the county? Why haven't you stopped and thought to yourself I grew up poor, in a high crime area? Why is it always point the finger at the entire county and blame everyone? Why not grapple with the truth. If you grew up in the ghettos of the inner beltway did you expect it not to be crime ridden and awful?

Why do you all punish the group of families that did not grow up in the ghetto's of the inner beltway? Why do you punish the families that grew up well off in a totally different part of the county (outer beltway) than you all? Clearly there are obviously two completely different worlds, that exist in this county. It is a bit sad, but its America. The difference in how the wealthiest 5% of the county live versus how the poorest 5% in the county live is mind bloggling.
You don't get it do you. Why do you got to throw racism at someone who moved the hell out because they watched the crime march right to their doorstep? You've kinda pissed me off right now.
Fact:
1. When I graduated in 1989 average sat scores were over 1100
2. In 2007 the average sat score was a sorry dismal 830-worst in nation
3. P.G. county public school has one of the largest school budgets in the nation. There is no reason for the test scores to be this low. Or is there?
4. In 1984 There were 5,000 stolen cars
5. In 2004 There were 18,000 stolen cars
6. Between 1984-2004 murders were over a 350% increase
7. Overall violent crime was up 60% in that 20 years.
8. Do you even want to talk about the crack cocaine epidemic that has had a hold on the county for over 20 years and is still going strong?

Can you tell me why all these stats are true? Keep throwing that I'm a racist and I'll really dig up all the stats and put them everywhere. If I can save one decent family from making the biggest mistake of their life moving to that F****d up county than I certainly will.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 PM

217 posts, read 752,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
You don't get it do you. Why do you got to throw racism at someone who moved the hell out because they watched the crime march right to their doorstep? You've kinda pissed me off right now.
Fact:
3. P.G. county public school has one of the largest school budgets in the nation. There is no reason for the test scores to be this low. Or is there?
8. Do you even want to talk about the crack cocaine epidemic that has had a hold on the county for over 20 years and is still going strong?

Can you tell me why all these stats are true? Keep throwing that I'm a racist and I'll really dig up all the stats and put them everywhere. If I can save one decent family from making the biggest mistake of their life moving to that F****d up county than I certainly will.
Right on!
He has no idea...he posts the figures that impress him.
He doesn't live in a county where he might hear someone fire off an entire clip of rounds from a 9mm on any given night.
I live in a quiet neighborhood and those guns are being fired from a mile or two away - the report of that round carries far.
As I will contend, it is not based on race as blacks kill each other at an alarming rate here with no white involvement at all.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Why do people try to divide the county like all areas inside the beltway are ghetto and all outside is rich and wealthy. I look at the 'outside the beltway' as nothing more than a car dependent sprawly area of endless cookie cutter housing developments surrounded by endless chains and mediocare strip malls and people who swear they've 'arrived'.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 AM

746 posts, read 846,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Right on!
He has no idea...he posts the figures that impress him.
He doesn't live in a county where he might hear someone fire off an entire clip of rounds from a 9mm on any given night.
I live in a quiet neighborhood and those guns are being fired from a mile or two away - the report of that round carries far.
As I will contend, it is not based on race as blacks kill each other at an alarming rate here with no white involvement at all.

I'm sorry Fish, i forgot, how many residents make over 100k, a year and are gun totting drug dealers walking around terrorizing every neighborhood in Prince George's County. How silly was I to think crime had a correlation with poverty and that the inner beltway would probably have the most crime. Oh dear my little silly head. Clearly if there are black people no matter what their economic status they are all gun totting criminals, so I should be equally as scared to live in the Woodmore Country Club as I am to live in a garden style apartment in Suitland, Maryland. Is this correct?

Clearly according to you it does not matter right? Seems to me what you're saying is regardless of education, economic standing, all blacks are criminals and commit vast numbers of crimes right? Hence why its okay to demonize the entire county. I guess this would be why the news says "A murder was committed in Prince George's County" however when a murder happens in Montgomery County they say, "A murder was committed in Tacoma Park, MD" etc.....It is really funny how race truly plays such a pivotal role in how we decide to lay blame or gross generalize.

Shattering Myths About Prince George's - Raw Fisher --read the comments after the article

I'm not posting figures that impress me, because honestly if you want to know my take I don't find 100-200k all that impressive to begin with. I'd honestly find someone making 1 million or more to be a bit more impressive, but that's neither here nor there and does not change the factual information i posted. Money is a very relative thing, so don't get the wrong idea. I'm merely making the point, that you all who throw out the entire county is poor are obviously completely wrong and dillusional, that's what my facts point out. When you compare those numbers to the rest of the United States the county clearly is a lot better off and wealthier than most, that's all my information points out. It also points out what happens in your neighborhood is not indicative of what is happening in Woodmore Country Club. This is no different than saying what happens in Southeast DC is what happens in Georgetown. Now, how stupid is a person that says something like this?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Why do people try to divide the county like all areas inside the beltway are ghetto and all outside is rich and wealthy. I look at the 'outside the beltway' as nothing more than a car dependent sprawly area of endless cookie cutter housing developments surrounded by endless chains and mediocare strip malls and people who swear they've 'arrived'.

Simple answer is the easiest and most obvious the income distribution. Besides University Park there are no inner beltway areas that come close to making over 60k a year. On the other hand the entire outter beltway areas with few exceptions make over 80k a year. I'd say that's a big difference in income wouldn't you?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM

350 posts, read 1,646,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
So you can generalize about people living outside the beltway, but it's not okay for others to generalize about inside the beltway? Please, I think people really need to take a driving tour of Maryland, then they'd realize that not EVERY town inside the beltway is ghetto, and not everyone outside the beltway ever thinks of themselves in terms of "arriving".

Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy0780 View Post
So you can generalize about people living outside the beltway, but it's not okay for others to generalize about inside the beltway? Please, I think people really need to take a driving tour of Maryland, then they'd realize that not EVERY town inside the beltway is ghetto, and not everyone outside the beltway ever thinks of themselves in terms of "arriving".
I agree jessy. I'm outside the beltway and I definitely haven't "arrived." Unless you are living in some of the new developments with houses starting in the 500's, areas outside the beltway are just as diverse as inside. The older, established towns outside the beltway still have areas that are just as densely populated with varying degrees of income as areas inside. There are also older, smaller homes that people in lower income brackets can still afford. We're not all living the dream outside the beltway.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Fact:

You're another one that is just full of made up bs, that you like to site as fact. Here let me challenge all of your assertion. I'll only challenge the one's that are complete bs. A few I tend to agree with.

1. Funny how this is a blatant and outright lie. The SAT national average was the following in the US starting at 1980 Average SAT Scores, 1972–2007 — Infoplease.com
Washingtonpost.com: The Challenge Index
NR Back-to-School Issue September 15, 1997

1980 - 994
1984 - 1001
1988 - 1006
1992 - 1001

2005 - 1028

SAT scores have consistently gone up over the last 20 years. When you took the SAT i doubt considerable less than half of the senior high school student population in the county took the test. I'm sure i could find evidence to support this data.

You mean to tell me, that a poor county like Prince George's in the 1980's was testing above both Montgomery County and Fairfax in 1989?

It was also testing 10% above the national average at the time?

If this was the case were did all those Ivy League students from Prince George's go to after they graduated from Bladensburg, Fairmont Heights, Parkdale, and other schools? (You can clearly sense my sarcaism). With SAT's scores 10% above the national average they had a bunch of really smart kids here that graduated from those high schools in 1989? Where are they now? Or is this just more bs that is unsubstantiated that pours out of your mouth like hot lava?

4-8 I tend to agree with, but I'm sure most of the increase is not county wide and can be attributed to the inner beltway, but since you did not post where you got your "factual" information no one can really challenge those assertions. However, I think you're probably spot on with those increases in crime in PGC, but i think all if not most has happend only inside of the densly populated inner beltway.

A far as low test scores i agree and I think the missing component is parents and i've alluded to this perviously.

Out of 158,000 students enrolled in schools more than 23,000 are enrolled in private schools in Prince George's County

That's 15% of the students in the county. This leaves the public schools full of the undersirable children of the lower classes and this is evident in the overall test scores. Now, I tend to agree I do not really care that you're poor or working class 1+1 will always = 2 it is just a matter of having a child work longer hours and study harder. However, most of these folks would rather little Jamal go out and shoot hoops, so he has a chance of making it to the NBA or something. This is not an overall black problem, but something that is a huge problem with the poor and lower middle classes of each race, so while we spend our time wasting it on races issues it really is not. These things are American issues and need to be tackled as such. Why do Asian's outperform all races of kids in school by leaps and bounds regardless of income? When was the last time you went to a basketball, football, lax, hockey, soccer game and saw an entire team full of Asian's? I think we need to rethink a lot of our American study habits if test scores are to improve. I think Blacks overall have some of the worst study habits hence the worst scores and grades.

Last edited by truthhurts; 01-21-2008 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland