Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 09:49 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Unfortunately, I think they probably are walking a fine line of wanting to maintain a certain quality perception of retailer and also a price per sqft above other nearby locations, but not delivering enough residential yet to form a solid customer base. I think MOD pizza is an example of that, they've been open now for nearly a year, it never looks busy. Now, can they afford to play the waiting game for 2-3 more years while the development delivers the dense residential portion of the project.

Gold's will be a nice anchor for additional traffic to the development, but they need more
Don't forget about the hotel. It is expected to start construction this year. And yes, the apartments should bring in more foot traffic. I wouldn't worry too much about Mod Pizza. There is Blaze and Lotsa just up the road in addition to very good pizza by Ledo's and Pizza Paradiso. RT. 1 is overloaded with pizza right now.

District Taco shouldn't last too much longer. I don't know what the hype is all about, but their tacos are nasty. I'll take my chances in Langley Park with more authentic taco fare. The opening of the gym should throw more customers District Taco's way.

Habit BUrger should last once they get going. The DC area has been through a burger renaissance. The only other burger places in the area are 5-guys and Bob's Burgers. Looney's has a nice burger though. :-)

Right now, Whole Foods brings enough attention to the area for the time being. Like I said, I wouldn't be too tore up if Mod and District Taco folded.

The hotel should entice other retailers who are good at catering to the hotel crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 10:07 AM

662 posts, read 783,693 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I think they probably are walking a fine line of wanting to maintain a certain quality perception of retailer and also a price per sqft above other nearby locations, but not delivering enough residential yet to form a solid customer base. I think MOD pizza is an example of that, they've been open now for nearly a year, it never looks busy. Now, can they afford to play the waiting game for 2-3 more years while the development delivers the dense residential portion of the project. Residential probably feels similarly, deliver the retail portion first so we can fill our apartments quickly.

Gold's will be a nice anchor for additional traffic to the development, but they need more...they need an Ace Hardware, a kids play space like The Little Gym or an even bigger draw like Legoland, an awesome co-working space...things that draw a completely different consumer to the space
I don't think they need anything like an Ace. There's a Homedepot and a Lowes nearby. Both bigger and better. And they're opening an Ace in Mount Rainier.

I think they should get a toy store but it would have to be local and cute and a small place can't afford that rent. Maybe it would go to the Riverdale Towne Square.

MODS is quite frankly gross. Burton's and the taco place always have people.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:07 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Don't forget about the hotel. It is expected to start construction this year. And yes, the apartments should bring in more foot traffic. I wouldn't worry too much about Mod Pizza. There is Blaze and Lotsa just up the road in addition to very good pizza by Ledo's and Pizza Paradiso. RT. 1 is overloaded with pizza right now.

District Taco shouldn't last too much longer. I don't know what the hype is all about, but their tacos are nasty. I'll take my chances in Langley Park with more authentic taco fare. The opening of the gym should throw more customers District Taco's way.

Habit BUrger should last once they get going. The DC area has been through a burger renaissance. The only other burger places in the area are 5-guys and Bob's Burgers. Looney's has a nice burger though. :-)

Right now, Whole Foods brings enough attention to the area for the time being. Like I said, I wouldn't be too tore up if Mod and District Taco folded.

The hotel should entice other retailers who are good at catering to the hotel crowd.
My boyfriend and I actually like District Taco and especially love their chorizo burrito which Chipotle no longer has. It seems to be doing ok, they definitely need to add the hotel and apartments to sustain their businesses there and add to the density of the development. One good thing is that half the townhomes have been sold according to the rep at Stanley Martin when I visited the other weekend.

I hope once Riverdale Park is completed that it pushes growth in downtown Riverdale Park as the two are now linked together and actually really close.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:57 PM

662 posts, read 783,693 times
Gold's Gym opens on Wednesday!

Old 03-19-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post

I hope once Riverdale Park is completed that it pushes growth in downtown Riverdale Park as the two are now linked together and actually really close.
Not growth but redevelopment. The Purple Line SHOULD help that along with the Riverdale Park Station. That old Megamart shopping center is due for a mixed-use development.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 AM

340 posts, read 377,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
I don't think they need anything like an Ace. There's a Homedepot and a Lowes nearby. Both bigger and better. And they're opening an Ace in Mount Rainier.

I think they should get a toy store but it would have to be local and cute and a small place can't afford that rent. Maybe it would go to the Riverdale Towne Square.

MODS is quite frankly gross. Burton's and the taco place always have people.
First, MOD is in line with Blaze, &Pizza, Lotsa, etc...it's good, but it's isolated on that end with no draw retail so far Fed Ex Office. If an ACE is opening in Mount Rainier then you are right, no need here. I think ACE has a different crowd than Home Depot or Lowes though, I'd say ACE is to Moms/Trader Joes/YES/Whole Foods and HD/Lowes is to Giant/Safeway/Shoppers/etc.

Either way, my point is that they have to be anchored by places that people need. People need food, housing, exercise, and fix things with their homes. Anything else that targets a very primary need of people would be a good anchor here too, like a pharmacy which has been rumored too. Side note: Walgreens bought the Rite Aid on Baltimore Ave in Riverdale.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
First, MOD is in line with Blaze, &Pizza, Lotsa, etc...it's good, but it's isolated on that end with no draw retail so far Fed Ex Office. If an ACE is opening in Mount Rainier then you are right, no need here. I think ACE has a different crowd than Home Depot or Lowes though, I'd say ACE is to Moms/Trader Joes/YES/Whole Foods and HD/Lowes is to Giant/Safeway/Shoppers/etc.

Either way, my point is that they have to be anchored by places that people need. People need food, housing, exercise, and fix things with their homes. Anything else that targets a very primary need of people would be a good anchor here too, like a pharmacy which has been rumored too. Side note: Walgreens bought the Rite Aid on Baltimore Ave in Riverdale.
I'd love for there to be a 24-hr Walgreens at Riverdale Park Station. Right now I think there are more CVS stores than 7-Elevens. There's one on 410 by the metro, and three in College Park on RT. 1 alone within a mile of each other, although one is part of the Target Express.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:22 PM

340 posts, read 377,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I'd love for there to be a 24-hr Walgreens at Riverdale Park Station. Right now I think there are more CVS stores than 7-Elevens. There's one on 410 by the metro, and three in College Park on RT. 1 alone within a mile of each other, although one is part of the Target Express.
I agree, that this area has more than it's share of CVS pharmacies. I'd have to imagine that a Walgreens is out of the question now as the Rite Aid transitions into a 24 hour Walgreens 2 blocks away.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:39 PM

36 posts, read 36,502 times
Check out pictures from the Gold's here:

https://riverdaleparkstation.blogspo...riverdale.html

Old 03-22-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDReInfo View Post
Check out pictures from the Gold's here:

https://riverdaleparkstation.blogspo...riverdale.html
At least the equipment is new. I started going to the Planet Fitness at The Mall at Prince George's when they first opened and most of their equipment looked like it was purchased at a garage sale. THat planet fitness was undoubtedly a franchised one and I guess the owner couldn't afford new equipment?

I've been to many gyms and that's the one thing that frustrates me the most is old equipment that has lost its optimum functionality.

This Gold's Gym is a corporate location. I hope they don't sell it to a franchisee who replaces equipment weeks after it breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland