Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 9,279 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I've been following this forum for a while and would like to get some advice on the best areas to live as our family will be purchasing a home in the next 2 years. We have 2 children, 1 who is school aged. We would love to find a place that meets our budget AND has great schools (I guess that is what everyone wants!), but are willing to cover the cost of private school if necessary.

We have given serious thoughts to the following areas:

Takoma Park
College Park/University Park
Silver Spring
Kensington
Burtonsville
Mitchellville

We would like to stay within 400-650k, though we would be willing to pay closer to the high end of that range for an area with great schools that isn't too far out--unless that is not feasible.

We wouldn't rule out new constructions, but we would like to stay relatively close to the city...or at least a metro/marc station. (I've noticed that a lot of new constructions are further out)

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF2015 View Post
Hello all,
I've been following this forum for a while and would like to get some advice on the best areas to live as our family will be purchasing a home in the next 2 years. We have 2 children, 1 who is school aged. We would love to find a place that meets our budget AND has great schools (I guess that is what everyone wants!), but are willing to cover the cost of private school if necessary.

Takoma Park
Silver Spring
Kensington
Burtonsville
Mitchellville

We would like to stay within 400-650k, though we would be willing to pay closer to the high end of that range for an area with great schools that isn't too far out--unless that is not feasible.

We wouldn't rule out new constructions, but we would like to stay relatively close to the city...or at least a metro/marc station. (I've noticed that a lot of new constructions are further out)

Thoughts?
In answering these posts I guess it would be prudent to ask what is a great school to you personally? Everyone has a different idea of what a great/good school is. Some have unrealistic expectations that no school can provide. Others have racial preferences that aren't specified in writing, but use coded words. Some what their kids to be geniuses without any parental involvement whatsoever. Are test scores your only concern? Number of suspensions? Teachers with Masters degrees?

Old 10-27-2015, 11:11 AM

Great question!

We are an African American family. A great school to us is a diverse one...basically, a somewhat even spread of ethnicities (no majority white, black or Hispanic, if that makes sense)

Definitely would like well educated teachers, few (or zero) disciplinary incidents (as I recall, Montgomery County provides this information for all schools). I pay attention to FARMS numbers, and I peruse the Great Schools websites often and I take the ratings there with a grain of salt. As I said before, schools are not the end all be all for a house as we are willing to pay for private school if we must.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:47 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Great question!

We are an African American family. A great school to us is a diverse one...basically, a somewhat even spread of ethnicities (no majority white, black or Hispanic, if that makes sense)

Definitely would like well educated teachers, few (or zero) disciplinary incidents (as I recall, Montgomery County provides this information for all schools). I pay attention to FARMS numbers, and I peruse the Great Schools websites often and I take the ratings there with a grain of salt. As I said before, schools are not the end all be all for a house as we are willing to pay for private school if we must.
Great. A lot of people on here have differing opinions on schools and it helps to know exactly what a person is looking for.

I'd throw my hat in for Takoma Park and Silver Spring (next to downtown Silver Spring).

I'm biased towards the College Park area. I will say it is up and coming. It is a place that is good to get in on the ground floor. Do some research on the schools and see if they meet your current needs.

Vision 2020 - College Park City-University Partnership

Old 10-27-2015, 12:46 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:

Takoma Park
Silver Spring
Kensington
Burtonsville
Mitchellville

Based on your criteria, I would cross off Burtonsville because you would have to ride the express bus to get to Metro. OTOH, I would add Greenbelt to the list of towns to consider.

We enjoyed living in the Kemp Mill/Wheaton area for 30 years. The housing will certainly be in your price range, and there are many interesting things going on. Most of the schools get average ratings, and I wouldn't call them "great". The Silver Spring and Kensington schools certainly fit the criteria of diverse. Most have the majority-minority label with Hispanic kids in the plurality, and I think your kids would get a good education. It might help you to visit some schools and see what impresses you. One suggestion is the Rock Creek Forest Elementary School which has a "green" roof and some innovative design ideas. Woodlin Elementary School inside the beltway in Silver Spring is also highly rated and has homes in your price range. One house I like is even in walking distance of the Forest Glen Metro. (You can use Redfin.com to search on a school and price range.)

There are also several Montessori schools around Silver Spring if you go the private route.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-27-2015 at 01:56 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 02:28 PM

469 posts, read 550,018 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Takoma Park
Silver Spring
Kensington
Burtonsville
Mitchellville

Thoughts?
University Park is a Majority white enclave of 900 homes. Its about 10 percent black, the schools are more diverse as is the larger neighborhood its self. I have a black friend who grew up their and she describes it as the GREATEST NEIGHBORHOOD. The homes are non cookie cutter and all have character. Plus the new Whole Foods development is coming. This is right beside the neighborhood and will connect to the U OF MD. I think you would love the area. Local Charter school is called "College Park Academy" good test scores as well. Local elementary is University Park. Northwestern is the H.S.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...05841590,d.cWw

Mitchellville/woodmore is Def "Black Americana" at its best. Schools are good but not really diverse..mostly majority black. The neighborhoods in this area I would look at are, Enterprise Estates, Paradise Acres, Woodmore Country Club, Waterford Estates, Woodmore Meadows. Each has a different personality and different housing stock...no real cookie cutters...though Waterford Estates are Mc Mansion new builds. You would be not to far from Bowie Town Center, and close to Woodmore Town Center, (Wegmens, Costco etc). Woodmore elementary, Glen Dale both have good scores and Flowers HS as top notch Science & Tech Program. Beautiful 400 acre Watkins Park is right down the street. Also your child could test in for TAG center at Glenarden Woods ( 2nd highest scores in state of MD) also Test in at the HS "Academy of Health & Sciences" Located on the campus of the local community college...excellent test scores

Old 10-27-2015, 08:12 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,509 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Takoma Park
Silver Spring
Kensington
Burtonsville
Mitchellville

Thoughts?
Your budget is good for all those neighborhoods..

Burtonsville is good, schools are good as well, you have Burtonsville elementary, Banneker Middle, and Paint Branch HS... all are good, diverse, and PBHS has a good athletic program as well.

College Park as someone said is up and coming, University Park is well also, UP elementary is good and Northwestern has a good Performing Arts program.

Mitchellville is good, diversity wise, it is majority AA. It is zoned for Woodmore ES, Just MS, and Flowers HS.. all of which are majority AA due to its location, Just MS has had a few problems recently but are working out is issues as it has Lake Arbor area which has an uptick in crime and socio economic issues.. Flowers is mediocre, if your child isnt in the Science and Tech program, it wont be a good learning center.

I would also add Laurel & Beltsville... In Laurel there is Bentley Park a new construction neighborhood and has been selling out, it is a big neighborhood that straddles Burtonsville and Laurel. The MARC Train is close in Laurel and in Beltsville. Schools in the Laurel side would be Bond Mill, MLK MS, and Laurel HS, all good schools and diverse with White, Black, Asian, and Hispanic while the Burtonsville side would be the schools I listed above.

Also a new construction in Beltsville is Brickyard Station. Zoned for Vansville, MLK MS, and Laurel HS. The MARC Station is in walking distance from the neighborhood.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:03 AM

Thank you ALL for your responses...I really appreciate it! I am going to look into all of those areas. This forum is truly great :-)

Old 10-28-2015, 11:48 AM

340 posts, read 377,134 times
With that budget, I'd buy in University Park. I think it's one of the best neighborhoods in the area bc its character filled housing, landlocked residential neighborhood feels suburban and friendly inside but offers good and getting better urban walkable amenities in surrounding college park, riverdale park, and hyattsville, has a good, diverse elementary school....down side of buying in UP is really high property taxes, low inventory, and most homes being sold will need updating.

Fairly similar background, I'm a black professional and family man with very young kids, I looked for a house in UP for almost the last 2 years and ended up sort of giving up bc nothing came up in my budget that I could still afford to update. Count me in as an UP advocate, but my search also included parts of College Park, Riverdale Park, and Hyattsville that were inside of UP elementary school zoning (I bought in these parts). If I wanted the urban feel, I would not considered Burtonsville or Mitchellville. Takoma Park and Silver Spring are larger areas with some really amazing neighborhoods and some undesirable bad neighborhoods for buying a house imo.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:16 PM

469 posts, read 550,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
With that budget, I'd buy in University Park. I think it's one of the best neighborhoods in the area bc its character filled housing, landlocked residential neighborhood feels suburban and friendly inside but offers good and getting better urban walkable amenities in surrounding college park, riverdale park, and hyattsville, has a good, diverse elementary school....down side of buying in UP is really high property taxes, low inventory, and most homes being sold will need updating.

Fairly similar background, I'm a black professional and family man with very young kids, I looked for a house in UP for almost the last 2 years and ended up sort of giving up bc nothing came up in my budget that I could still afford to update. Count me in as an UP advocate, but my search also included parts of College Park, Riverdale Park, and Hyattsville that were inside of UP elementary school zoning (I bought in these parts). If I wanted the urban feel, I would not considered Burtonsville or Mitchellville. Takoma Park and Silver Spring are larger areas with some really amazing neighborhoods and some undesirable bad neighborhoods for buying a house imo.
curious where did you end up settling at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland