Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:07 AM

530 posts, read 668,261 times

Advertisements

The area does have some pretty real estate but to best answer your question about taking walks in the evening, why not actively visit the area and see what happens there after dark? No one can really judge for you because you may consider something "safe" while someone else may have a totally different 'take' on the word 'safety'.
I know that I was not happy when I took the metro one evening last winter and arrived at the Wheaton station alone. I had to make my way out of the station and emerge into a dark and deserted street. If I hadn't had someone waiting directly across the street from the exit to pick me up I would have been very uncomfortable. There is a parking garage across the street but I would not want to enter that garage after dark, and alone.
You ask about the commute. Are you working or going to school in this location?
Check out the demographics of the area and decide whether or not you would be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 08:19 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,595,864 times
Can everyone stop being so scared and fearful? I think there is too often a sense of misplaced fear when talking about some very great neighborhoods in the DC area. Some of you sound as if this area is Somalia or Caracas, Venezuela. Just because you're afraid of shadows in the dark doesn't mean the area is "challenging" or "sketchy." My goodness people.

I have said it a 1000 times, unless you are involved in nefarious activities, have enemies out to get you, or lack common sense, you are pretty SAFE. I used to walk home in a suit carrying a briefcase from Capitol Heights to Nanny Helen Burroughs Avenue back in 1990 at the height of the gang and drug violence in DC at NIGHT. Probably wasn't the smartest thing, but I was 17. And not ONE time was I ever approached, had a dangerous encounter, or anything of that nature. And that was at summer time when people were out all hours of the night.

I currently live in "God-forsaken" PG County within a half mile of Langley Park and have managed not to get cut, robbed, choked, mauled, stabbed, shot, or so much approached by anyone. There are young white professionals walking all over the streets of DC as if they own the streets and we don't hear on the news about scores of them being snatched up. Geeze people.

We're talking 2016 in WHEATON of all places and people talk as if they are going to get snatched off the street and have their heads chopped off. There are no roving and marauding gangs with bats and chains sweeping the streets at night looking for people to torture at night. 99.9% of the "challenging" people we see are just trying to make a living and enjoy life just like everyone else.

Some people need to get out more. Really.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,701,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Can everyone stop being so scared and fearful? I think there is too often a sense of misplaced fear when talking about some very great neighborhoods in the DC area. Some of you sound as if this area is Somalia or Caracas, Venezuela. Just because you're afraid of shadows in the dark doesn't mean the area is "challenging" or "sketchy." My goodness people.

I have said it a 1000 times, unless you are involved in nefarious activities, have enemies out to get you, or lack common sense, you are pretty SAFE. I used to walk home in a suit carrying a briefcase from Capitol Heights to Nanny Helen Burroughs Avenue back in 1990 at the height of the gang and drug violence in DC at NIGHT. Probably wasn't the smartest thing, but I was 17. And not ONE time was I ever approached, had a dangerous encounter, or anything of that nature. And that was at summer time when people were out all hours of the night.

I currently live in "God-forsaken" PG County within a half mile of Langley Park and have managed not to get cut, robbed, choked, mauled, stabbed, shot, or so much approached by anyone. There are young white professionals walking all over the streets of DC as if they own the streets and we don't hear on the news about scores of them being snatched up. Geeze people.

We're talking 2016 in WHEATON of all places and people talk as if they are going to get snatched off the street and have their heads chopped off. There are no roving and marauding gangs with bats and chains sweeping the streets at night looking for people to torture at night. 99.9% of the "challenging" people we see are just trying to make a living and enjoy life just like everyone else.

Some people need to get out more. Really.
True, but exhibiting "common sense," as you suggest, includes understanding that Wheaton - while not unsafe, compared to many places - still requires one to be vigilant. E.g. the parking garage the previous commenter mentioned has been the location of multiple sexual assaults in recent memory. Of course the odds of being a victim are very small, but I certainly wouldn't have my wife walk through the garage alone at night if there are other viable options. That's what "common sense" is - applying information in a way that minimizes unnecessary risk. No one's comparing Wheaton to Somalia; people are just saying Wheaton commonly doesn't have the "eyes on the street" one would hope for and being cognizant of where and when issues arise is important.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 6,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
The area does have some pretty real estate but to best answer your question about taking walks in the evening, why not actively visit the area and see what happens there after dark? No one can really judge for you because you may consider something "safe" while someone else may have a totally different 'take' on the word 'safety'.
I know that I was not happy when I took the metro one evening last winter and arrived at the Wheaton station alone. I had to make my way out of the station and emerge into a dark and deserted street. If I hadn't had someone waiting directly across the street from the exit to pick me up I would have been very uncomfortable. There is a parking garage across the street but I would not want to enter that garage after dark, and alone.
You ask about the commute. Are you working or going to school in this location?
Check out the demographics of the area and decide whether or not you would be happy.
I work in college park. I was in wheaton the other day, i really like the location, but the condo i looked at was really small. but thank you for your comments about the location!

I was also looking a few other homes in glenmont(next stop after wheaton). If people can comment on this, it'll really help me!

I was wondering if people can also comment me on this community next to the gates of heaven cemetary in Aspen hill (4041 CHESTERWOOD DR, SILVER SPRING, MD 20906 | MLS MC8746589 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com)

Old 03-15-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If I were working in College Park, I would look in Greenbelt (especially Old Greenbelt, which is very safe), Beltsville, Laurel or College Park.

I would concentrate on places with 2 baths which I think are more saleable. For example, I'd suggest this building:
6100 Westchester Park Dr Apt 803, College Park, MD 20740 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Or this place: 7902 Crows Nest Ct Unit 345, Laurel, MD 20707 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Thanks goldenage1! I've been reading your other comments in the forum about wheaton and really appreciate you insight!

The other reason i'm looking in wheaton/ss is my gf works in DC! its an easier commute for her to take metro to get to DC than from laurel

Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 AM

566 posts, read 1,560,063 times
Wheaton is a safe area in my opinion. I would have no qualms walking around alone at night.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:47 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,117,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaieachai View Post
I work in college park. I was in wheaton the other day, i really like the location, but the condo i looked at was really small. but thank you for your comments about the location!

I was also looking a few other homes in glenmont(next stop after wheaton). If people can comment on this, it'll really help me!

I was wondering if people can also comment me on this community next to the gates of heaven cemetary in Aspen hill (4041 CHESTERWOOD DR, SILVER SPRING, MD 20906 | MLS MC8746589 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com)
That's a maybe. There used to be a lot of rentals there, especially near the Georgia Avenue side where the road noise was loud. There's also a tall security fence, (to keep out intruders?). If you are interested, I'd check out the neighborhood in the evening. I'd also check how many of the units are rentals. It may be better than I remembered.

If your budget would go higher, like to $235K, here's a place I would recommend: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-57385#photo10

Here's another good place for $225K at the Forest Glen Metro stop: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M67717-16123 In my experience, this one will sell quickly.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-16-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 12:29 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,813,968 times
umd from wheaton is crazy. since you have to take the blvd all the way and sit in traffic in langley park. Whaeton is not bad at all. But there are some folks that case trouble. its very populated. no is not ghetto at all but everywhere be aware of you surroundings. they are renovating it a lot also. try college park, greenbelt or briggs chaney area. or even parts of hyatsville.

lol man folks REALLY like sitting in traffic in moco and commuting!————————————————————————————————

Last edited by papichulo2; 03-16-2016 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
umd from wheaton is crazy. since you have to take the blvd all the way and sit in traffic in langley park. Whaeton is not bad at all. But there are some folks that case trouble. its very populated. no is not ghetto at all but everywhere be aware of you surroundings. they are renovating it a lot also. try college park, greenbelt or briggs chaney area. or even parts of hyatsville.

lol man folks REALLY like sitting in traffic in moco and commuting!—————————————⠀”———————————————— ——
It has more to do with kids, family, schools and safety. traffic is the least of my concerns when it comes to buying a home compared to everything else. I'd like to think that jobs are not permanent but a home is.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:47 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,813,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaieachai View Post
It has more to do with kids, family, schools and safety. traffic is the least of my concerns when it comes to buying a home compared to everything else. I'd like to think that jobs are not permanent but a home is.
true but it makes your life 10x more harder and stressful. that whole area is wayy to populated and full of traffic! theres nothing fun about it. the schools are OK. but nobody i know likes wheaton hs. if your street smart, your ok. really your safe there. but there are cheaper areas (not glenmont) around college park without all the craziness. btw from glenmont and wheaton metro you can take c8 to college park station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland